V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have I understood this correctly - some campsites are refusing to accept camper vans converted from transporters if they are classed by DVLA as 'van with windows'??? How on earth does the campsite know? And what difference does it make to them (unless you're planning on tooling it round their campsite at over the speed limit!):oops:

No, what you have understood is someone has said that campsites are refusing to take some converted vans.

I must look out for these campsites that require you to show them your V5 details upon entry .

No, what you have understood is someone has said that campsites are refusing to take some converted vans.

I must look out for these campsites that require you to show them your V5 details upon entry .
Still confused (it’s not hard - be kind) - so if I rock up in a California I’ll be allowed in, but if I turn up in an even higher specced converted transporter, I’ll be turned away? :oops:

Iain. Very well done. You've scored a big victory for common sense there and maybe also done the 'camper community' in general a service.

On the business of campsites turning conversions away, personally I wouldn't be too worried as I suspect there's more than a hint of b*llocks in any such stories.

From what I remember of the discussion a couple of years back, it came from two problems that had been raised. One was that one of the big clubs (can't remember which one) asked for your reg no on joining and were refusing vans that weren't on the DVLA database as motor caravans, and at the same time a couple of members had reported being turned away from other sites if their vans were sign written.
Didn't affect me as mine was registered from new as a motor caravan so I have no personal experience, but that's probably where the stories came from.

It has been happening since the early 70's that I have experience of - the ubiquitous white Transit van was turned away by most sites sign-written or not, so it is not a new phenomenon. No hint of b*llocks, just personal knowledge.

You do have to register your reg with the C&MHC. I have never been questioned abt the van when entering a site but can't speek for some private or the C&CC.
Nice to see Ian got the speeding fine quashed. I wonder if you have a Camper sticker on the side and PC Plod sees it, he will not bother with a report?
I know some like to stealth camp so that wouldn't probably suit for them.

I understand that from watching utube it’s almost impossible to register my conversion to motor/caravan any advice
Cheers

I'm not an expert and this may be an old thread but my van, despite being bought 'as new as these things get' from a conversion dealer is registered as 'van with windows'. I had an honest conversation with the dealer (who have no reason to distruct as of yet, they've been great) and they said there has been a clamp down and unless the vehicle is an obvious camper (essentially a high top type affair and stuff) it's not going to happen.

It's something to do with the police and recognising vehicles based on logged details. This tends to mean conversions with slim, pop tops and the like are finding it hard.

Anyway, who knows.

Reactions: CAB
I'm not an expert and this may be an old thread but my van, despite being bought 'as new as these things get' from a conversion dealer is registered as 'van with windows'. I had an honest conversation with the dealer (who have no reason to distruct as of yet, they've been great) and they said there has been a clamp down and unless the vehicle is an obvious camper (essentially a high top type affair and stuff) it's not going to happen.

It's something to do with the police and recognising vehicles based on logged details. This tends to mean conversions with slim, pop tops and the like are finding it hard.

Anyway, who knows.
In a nutshell you're right. Read all the way through the thread if you can bear it and you'll find out a bit more of the detail.

Yeah, I'm fine keeping to the van-based speed limits.
So am but I confess that it does slip my mind on occasion - I blame the fact that the camper is not my daily (or even weekly) drive. It can't be that easy as my Mrs sometimes forgets as well and she's got the memory of an elephant with a better than average elephant memory (at least where my usually minor transgressions are concerned). That said, I've got to try really hard now as I've managed to pick up two speeding tickets in the last 5 months - it's no consolation that they're the first in 40 odd years of driving.

So am but I confess that it does slip my mind on occasion - I blame the fact that the camper is not my daily (or even weekly) drive. It can't be that easy as my Mrs sometimes forgets as well and she's got the memory of an elephant with a better than average elephant memory (at least where my usually minor transgressions are concerned). That said, I've got to try really hard now as I've managed to pick up two speeding tickets in the last 5 months - it's no consolation that they're the first in 40 odd years of driving.

Ouch. I do forget the details sometimes so just er on the side of caution. I'm usually in no rush or on country roads a lot of time. Happy to go 60 on the motorway (even though it may be 70, etc).

Mine isn't the daily driver either. It could be, I've got an old car I keep for daily stuff which still has the usual stuff associated with it as a cost - but part of me thinks if the van became my daily driver I'd start viewing it differently so I've held off doing that despite the cost saving.

I was cruising down the A30/38 the other day down to Cornwall and went past a camera van and happy that my 102bph is best happy with the control set at 55 on the up down roads of the south west

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
I've pre-emptively emailed a couple of police forces and speeding 'partnerships' with pictures of my van and enquiring about speed limits. I've got replies printed off and kept in the van in case of a roadside stop. The replies say I may get a ticket but on providing the issuing authority with pictures of my converted camper they will drop the case as the pictures clearly show that I have a campervan despite what the V5 says. I have a standard type conversion, poptop, privacy glazing, r'n'r bed, side units etc.

I'm driving at car speed limits with no concerns.

I've pre-emptively emailed a couple of police forces and speeding 'partnerships' with pictures of my van and enquiring about speed limits. I've got replies printed off and kept in the van in case of a roadside stop. The replies say I may get a ticket but on providing the issuing authority with pictures of my converted camper they will drop the case as the pictures clearly show that I have a campervan despite what the V5 says. I have a standard type conversion, poptop, privacy glazing, r'n'r bed, side units etc.

I'm driving at car speed limits with no concerns.
That’s good. Out of interest what offices/ personnel did you write to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back