V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not trying to be provocative but will it really affect the value of a converted vehicle if it’s a “van with windows” rather than a motorcaravan on the V5? Basically it’s the same vehicle just not able to travel at 70mph on motorways and, ok it’s a big if, if the insurance companies accept it at its replacement value then it’s a name. Or am I missing something fundamental- again that’s an honest question.

Actually I'm fine with van with windows, whats irritating is I live in London, the ULEZ zone is coming our way and I will live in it from next year, couldn't afford a "coach built" that was new enough/petrol so went with a professional conversion that with all our savings we could just about afford, had no idea reclassification would be an issue. TBF, the guys we bought from didn'tknow either, it was April, so before it was clamped down on (when I rang DVLA about sending for reclass they said wait so I feel really purposefully mislead. Issue is/might be, vehicle value, if it becomes an issue but more so charges for eurotunnel, dartford crossing and London tunnels, it's just mean that we will be paying more for a vehicle that is no longer commercial use. I'm fine with the speed limits, its great for economy....just feels mean to do it without telling anyone and th eexcuses/reasons have shofted 3 times when I;ve given pics of loads of vans with tless "external features" than mine and they simply are ignorig that it didn't have a poptop roof when originally manfactured, if it was a private company we'd have them for trading standards, lying, comtradiction and misleading the public. Why can't they just say "van with windows - converted campervan" or something so insurance companies are easily please? Haven't tackled Adrian Flux yet as am awaiting response to my final protest letter....anyone had any issues with them on this?

Ah I see - not so much of an issue out here in middle of Somerset. We’re intending to convert a T6 (well pay someone else to do it in Devon) but if there is an issue regarding future value I can see some vans being bought just for the V5...

I’m not trying to be provocative but will it really affect the value of a converted vehicle if it’s a “van with windows” rather than a motorcaravan on the V5? Basically it’s the same vehicle just not able to travel at 70mph on motorways and, ok it’s a big if, if the insurance companies accept it at its replacement value then it’s a name. Or am I missing something fundamental- again that’s an honest question.
It can still do 70 on motorways. It's the 60 on dual carriageways and 50 on single track that is the issue. Probably wont affect the value but I know which limits I'd rather work to.

RANT-engaged
Not an option the A9 in Scotland as the whole route is controlled by average speed cameras!
They have also raised the HGV limit on the road to 50mph so it is now common to see HGV's with tachographs tailgating cars that think they are doing 60mph and trade vans causing queues at an indicated 50mph which is actually 45mph.
RANT-disengaged

And that's one of the reasons I am so keen to have motor caravan on my V5.

You can’t use the Rotherhithe now, so understand your pain.
it's a pain to use anyhow but with a £65 PCN if you forget even more of a pain.....:( will have to be Blackwall :cry:

I personaly don't care abt the speed limits, if someone wants to pass me they are quite wecome to do so as long as its safe.
I'm happy dawdling along and getting a running comentry on the surroundings by SWMBO.:) And White Van Man, errhum, my vans all white with SIDE WINDOWs, can hang back or pass.:devil:

Ok... forgetting what the insurance will be and the speed limits what will my new panel van cost me in road tax every year after it's converted? T6 28 150 DSG?

£260
I can cope with that... other than speed limits, insurance, road tolls and and ferry fees ... what are the other downsides?

£260
I can cope with that... other than speed limits, insurance, road tolls and and ferry fees ... what are the other downsides?
Probably nothing except it will be A Van With Side Windows if fitted that is. It seems now, that if you are doing a self conversion, there is no point putting things in the van that wont be used just to conform to a Motorhome as per the DVLA site. At this moment in time, there is no way they are going to put Motorhome on the V5 for a converted van where the external apperance is vertualy the same.

My van was purchased in May this year. It’s a full Camper King conversion, windows all round and an upturned bath tub pop top. Mine got through and I got my new V5 in June.

With the widespread use of low profile roofs and the need to create stealth type campers, I can understand the clampdown. Without my obvious pop top, my van could be confused with a taxi, private ambulance or a Caravelle! Along with this I have waste outlet and diesel heater exhaust on the drivers side along with water and power inlets.

Most converters know what photos to take in getting the V5 changed but I’m just glad mine got through when it did!
My T28 is also being FULLY converted by Camper King this month (should be ready by the 1st week of November) with pop top I have waste outlet and diesel heater exhaust on the drivers side along with water and power inlets, they have the V5C for the van and told me that they will deal with it and the change in the V5C , hope they will be able to sort it .

My T28 is also being FULLY converted by Camper King this month (should be ready by the 1st week of November) with pop top I have waste outlet and diesel heater exhaust on the drivers side along with water and power inlets, they have the V5C for the van and told me that they will deal with it and the change in the V5C , hope they will be able to sort it .
Good luck, but I can’t see how they could manage it when no one else has been able to.

Does that mean that you bought the van yourself and that it is currently registered as 'van side windows' but will be changed to 'Motor Caravan' post-conversion? If so, please report back in due course whether Camper King managed to get the V5 changed. If they do get the V5 amended post-conversion, it kind of indicates that DVLA are applying a different rulebook to big conversion companies than to smaller outfits and / or individuals which would be nothing short of discrimination.

Sat at Baleal,Peniche and all the campervans have been booted out from the car park by the police,they checked everyone’s v5 and I was allowed to stay so thanks DVLA

Maybe I'm being even thicker than usual but were you allowed to stay because it says 'Van with Side Windows' on your V5. If so, maybe there is an upside to the DVLA fiasco!

Maybe I'm being even thicker than usual but were you allowed to stay because it says 'Van with Side Windows' on your V5. If so, maybe there is an upside to the DVLA fiasco!
I wondered the same - Does this mean seafront parking at Exmouth now available to vans with side windows then! This could be an unintended consequence of the DVLA’s position...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back