Uprated Tailgate Struts

If you want to slow down the rate at which the tailgate hurtles downward.. yesterday I found putting my nose in the way worked well, but it's OK. the van isn't damaged..

:oops:

If you want to slow down the rate at which the tailgate hurtles downward.. yesterday I found putting my nose in the way worked well, but it's OK. the van isn't damaged..

:oops:
Thx for reviving this thread, you just cost me £30! :slow rofl:

I’ve had the recommended 1250N struts on this summer with my bike rack and it’s a challenge to close plus I plan to remove the rack over the winter so I hope these will work both with and without the rack fitted.

Now this isn’t going to be massively helpful but I bought VW tailgate struts 985N from this very forum shop which has now closed down. Saying that they were a lot more than £30 so probably for the best
To answer your original question though, yes 1250 is overkill unless you want to do pull ups from it, but the original 900s just weren’t cutting it with the carpet lining etc. These work fine.

I've just fitted the VanStyle 1200N ones in preparation for a bike rack, and actually the tailgate didn't require anywhere near as much force to close as I was expecting from comments I've read from others... I hope my struts are correct!

Last edited:
I've just fitted the VanStyle 1200N ones in preparation for a bike rack, and actually the tailgate didn't require anywhere near as much force to close as I was expecting from comments I've read from others... I hope my struts are correct!
Yeah you'll be fine. I didn't think it was that hard a press/pull but there is a difference.

can anybody recommend a good 985N strut.
it's full of 1200n around but none rated 985n
I can only find them through autodoc
7E0827550C
brands I've never heard before LeSjofors or

stabilus.. and they don't come cheap.

can anybody recommend a good 985N strut.
it's full of 1200n around but none rated 985n
I can only find them through autodoc
7E0827550C
brands I've never heard before LeSjofors or

stabilus.. and they don't come cheap.
IMG_20201211_091916.jpg
I have these lying about

ohh man they were the right ones)
unfortunately I bought them from autodoc 1 hour ago.
for £74 which I think it's a lot for 2 struts,,

ohh man they were the right ones)
unfortunately I bought them from autodoc 1 hour ago.
for £74 which I think it's a lot for 2 struts,,
You have a 14 day cooling off period with a remote purchase, just cancel the order if there is a better option.

My T6 recently had insulation and carpeting done and gas struts have deteriorated recently and barely tries to hold the tailgate up. Found conflicting info regarding what struts I need. Cannot see the N of the ones currently fitted it have put pics up attached to post, Any ideas ? I don’t plan on bike rack so don’t want 1200N as wife won’t be able to shut just want struts to hold added weight of insulation, carpets and lights kind of thing.

Thanks in advance

84B4244F-719F-44EE-9C86-4A58F6350D97.jpeg

393469C6-C7FC-4956-8EEA-FA83978062CA.jpeg

Yours are 900N. You can get 985N from the OEM which will give you slightly more lift.

268B8513-3DE0-48E0-B1AB-91BA4425A312.jpeg

I got mine from a converter on eBay that builds vehicles for people with limited mobility. I’ve checked and there’s none that I can see on there at the moment, but worth keeping an eye out. Failing that, VW, but they’d be more expensive.

Good afternoon all, not been on for a while but full conversion complete and a happy bunny--or will be when lockdown has passed!
Hoping someone can recommend gas strut upgrades for my T6 please? Now that the lining and carpet has been added the tailgate is a little droopy, bearing in mind ill probably install a two person cycle carrier, is there a good upgrade out there?
Cheers
Glenn

There are two options for OEM

Caravelle struts which are 985N and California struts which are 1200N

Caravelle is designed to lift the lid with Caravelle trim in place, the California will lift an empty bike rack or the door card that holds the chairs.

There are two options for OEM

Caravelle struts which are 985N and California struts which are 1200N

Caravelle is designed to lift the lid with Caravelle trim in place, the California will lift an empty bike rack or the door card that holds the chairs.
Thanks, don't think i'll need to lift tailgate with cycles on and don't want to hang on tailgate to close it, so the 958N will probably suffice then? All i'm after is a suitable strut that will open with an empty cycle rack on and stay up with no sag.
Thanks for your help

Back