Uprated gas-struts for bike rack weight

hmm thats good but i posted it on a cali site too lots of people with same same , maybe yours doesn't have the added weight of the seats sorry i should of said its a cali
Yes I’ve just got a standard tailgate interior, not California.

Mines not a cali, but with a well sound deadened tailgate I find the lift a bit "lazy". I have the upgraded struts from Transporter HQ and to be honest they could do with being a fair bit stronger.
I can live with what I have, but I now regret not getting in touch with Metrol Springs to source variable force struts to get some decent replacements.

Remember that ambient temperature will affect the struts load bearing ability.
I have standard Kombi struts whatever the rating is, in summer they are much stiffer to pull down than right now in December.

Nice!

Removing/fitting the struts is a ten minute job. Best do this before fitting the rack and easier to swap one at a time.
You will see a metal spring ‘C’ at each end of each strut. Use a screw driver to pull them away from the end. They may come completely off (but they don’t need to be), just make sure they don’t ping off and you lose them. Either get someone to hold the tailgate open while you pop-off each end of the strut from the ball-pin attached to the van body, or do the next stages one handed whilst holding open the tailgate. The struts won’t fall off, but will need a bit of a tug. WARNING - ALWAYS KEEP THE TAILGATE SUPPORTED - it will have insufficient support with one strut fitted and will fall.
Fit the new strut (wide diameter end uppermost) by pushing the ends onto the ball-pins. No need to take-off the ‘C’ clips. Twist the cylinder of the strut by hand to line-up the connection to the ball-pin. Once one end is fitted, open or close the strut by hand to adjust the length to get the second end to mate with the other ball-pin.
Thanks for this information, a great help.

Back