Uprated Tailgate Struts

mhill

Security industry
T6 Guru
Where I've put so much silent coat on the tailgate then plylined the interior carpet my tailgate is so heavy that the factory struts won't hold it all the way up.

I ordered a set of these on ebay for a bargain price of £27 but they are several mm too long and have no chance of fitting. I've messaged the seller to see if he has a T6 model yet but T5 struts defiantly will not fit on the T6 tailgate.

Have you removed an old strut and tried to fit the new one. Sometimes just offering them up there maybe a few mm difference.

Apparently the standard California struts are a higher pressure than the standard ones as they are rated for lifting up the bikes.

We have loads of dynamat, carpeting, insulation and LED lights in the tailgate of our Kombi, and have found just fitting one uprated California strut has been suffice

The good thing about generic strut suppliers is that they have adjustable pressure and start with more than you need so you can adjust it down just right.

I hadn't thought of just doing one, would it not cause it to open unequally placing undue stress on the hinge?

Help. Have got the chair bag fitted onto the tailgate but the gas struts seem to be under pressure " so to speak". How hard is to fit new ones ?????

They are very simple. You pop the metal clip from the top using a small flat bladed screwdriver (it's nothing more than a circlip).
IMG_0013.JPG

You then do the same to the bottom
IMG_0012.JPG

The strut lifts straight off the nipples that they sit on. Two second job.

Have a look on the struts you have and see what they are rated as. If you get a pair of California ones they are normally the highest.

Cheers buddy sounds good will get it done.
You should've paid more attention at all those RTC's you attended with us. We pop them off all the time to enable the boot and roof to be taken off without cutting through the gas strut. Still you guys are generally too busy in the vehicle, so I'll let you off.;)

You should've paid more attention at all those RTC's you attended with us. We pop them off all the time to enable the boot and roof to be taken off without cutting through the gas strut. Still you guys are generally too busy in the vehicle, so I'll let you off.;)
Too true I always kept my eyes shut anyway. Never did like all the banging and crashing.

Standard struts are 900 Newton
VW do a 985N strut or a 1200N (California) strut if you want a genuine upgrade or SGS do aftermarket struts a bit cheaper
@Polzeylad has said in the past his Cali struts took a lot of force to close but he has added a bike rack now so interested to see how he finds them now and @surf-report bought a set of Cali struts from the shop so may be able to give some feedback as an upgrade path

I fitted SGS stronger struts on mine following fitting the bike rack and ill be buggered if i can get the little metal circling fitted onto the bottom ball attachment!!

I fitted SGS stronger struts on mine following fitting the bike rack and ill be buggered if i can get the little metal circling fitted onto the bottom ball attachment!!
Strange, they usually push back on dead easy. Never had a problem before.

Back