Upgrade Reversing light

My lights are old style incandescent bulbs and there are two reverse lights. Its an early T6 EU6 with barn doors.

Is my van abnormal?

Made me laugh :) I too have the barn door T6 and yes, the rear reversing lights are just pants. I tried the under bumper LED strip last winter but wasn't happy with the aesthetics of it. I was hoping to solve the issue with a set of LED bulbs but it never got off the ground at the time due to other issues. I'm struggling again hence I'm reading up to see what you guys have done aswell.

To me, the reverse lens's are so small, opaque and non-directional they would struggle to let anymore light through. It appears they are simply there to let other road users know you are reversing. Has anyone done a retro fit using the last of the 5.1 tail light clusters? TBH I prefer them to the T6 angled ones plus the T5 lens's are clearer. Sorry - might have thrown a spanner in there...

T5 rear light set.png

I bought my T6 in December last year at the start of summer here in Australia. Now the nights are darker and I needed reversing lights for the first time.

To my surprise I only seem to have one working reversing light on the LHS (the equivalent bulb on the RHS seems to be the rear fog light) and as a reversing light it seem to be not very bright...... In fact as a reversing light it is virtually useless; I could see more using the indicators.

Is this a common problem? or is it peculiar to my vehicle?

If it is normal can anyone suggest an improvement? I tried searching for 'Dim reversing light' but nothing relevant came up.

Cheers

Brian

I bought my T6 in December last year at the start of summer here in Australia. Now the nights are darker and I needed reversing lights for the first time.

To my surprise I only seem to have one working reversing light on the LHS (the equivalent bulb on the RHS seems to be the rear fog light) and as a reversing light it seem to be not very bright...... In fact as a reversing light it is virtually useless; I could see more using the indicators.

Is this a common problem? or is it peculiar to my vehicle?

If it is normal can anyone suggest an improvement? I tried searching for 'Dim reversing light' but nothing relevant came up.

Cheers

Brian
Hi Brian,

Which T6 have you got and which rear lights.... (barn doors/tailgate)? If you can take a picture of your rear lights that would help? :thumbsup:

Hi T6ARF

It's a 2017 T6 base model van called 'Runner' out here. 75 KW motor, manual 5 spd gearbox and rear tailgate. I will post a photo in the morning.

Cheers

Brian

Hi T6ARF

It's a 2017 T6 base model van called 'Runner' out here. 75 KW motor, manual 5 spd gearbox and rear tailgate. I will post a photo in the morning.

Cheers

Brian
These are the LED reversing lights that I upgraded to and they give a much better, brighter, white light.
You’ll have to check the fitment in your specific lights though, don’t just go by what a website says should fit your van.... even my VW owners manual was incorrect!?

Hi T6ARF

Cheers

Brian
It is morning here now si I took a couple of photos of the rear lights; I haven't tried to remove the cluster yet but the LHS side seems to have a white bulb in the lowest bulb position and the RHS seems to have a red bulb? which I guess fits in with possibility that the LHS is reversing and the RHS is fog.

Attachments

• IMG20210517084302.jpg
    IMG20210517084302.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20210517084314.jpg
    IMG20210517084314.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 11
Hi all and thank you everyone for the great feedback; it seems to be a general problem and not specific to my van.
It Looks like a replacement LED bulb is the easiest way to go.

Thank goodness for this forum! The information available here is priceless.
My VW T6 handbook contains so many warnings and cautions and so much information that is not, or may not, be relevant to my model that it is practically useless. Also unfortunately 'Mr Haynes' seems to have no plans as yet for a T6 manual.

Sometimes I miss my T1.... at least I could blame dim lights on 6V operation. :) And my eyes were much younger then!

Cheers

Brian

I have a 2016 t6 and my rear lights are the same as yours.
Reversing light on passenger side and fog light on drivers side.
Somewhere in the owners book it tells you of this.
Maybe in Germany this is a requirement and on startline models vw doesn't change it for overseas markets.

It is odd - my 2018 Startline with barn doors has two reverse lights, one each side. I’ve fitted LEDs which make a big improvement.

I have a 2016 t6 and my rear lights are the same as yours.
Reversing light on passenger side and fog light on drivers side.
Somewhere in the owners book it tells you of this.
Maybe in Germany this is a requirement and on startline models vw doesn't change it for overseas markets.
Hi AussieMick, That sounds a likely explanation but hard to understand given the harder winters and long dark nights they have in Germany. Perhaps in Germany the base model is used only as a delivery van and never leaves the street light areas. :) Have you made any improvements to your reversing light?

On reflection I like the solution that 'oldiebut goodie' used; leave the current setup alone and mount a 18W 6LED light on or under the bumper. I have found similar lights on Ebay Australia. As I read it you make a straight splice off the positive to the reversing globe/bulb feed and a separate earth to the van body. Am I right in understanding that this did not create warning lights on the Dash and that no system re-coding was necessary?

As you say 'two candles' is about right and on my van I only have one!

Cheers

Brian

I haven't found the single reversing light a problem, but did find the headlights hopeless for country driving so have mounted an led light bar on the front and you could easily mount a small led light on the rear but don't compromise ground clearance or you may wipe it off.
My extra driving lights didn't cause any problems .Wired the standard way of relay via dashboard switch from high beam and light supply from battery.

Back