Trouble with app connect on new 6.1 (and first impressions)

Chippy1970

Carpenter
T6 Guru
I started another thread but it seems to have been side tracked with iPhone users.

Anyway I'm starting another thread to see how many other people are having the same problems I'm having.

I have a new T6.1 with the standard composition media unit and use an Android phone. I connect the phone through the usb and Google maps works fine including audio. I touch the Spotify or any thing other than maps and the audio does not work. Also none of the steering wheel controls will work.

I'd like to know how many other people have this problem. My dealer tested the van for a day and said basically vw know there is an issue but at the moment they can't offer a fix. I've since argued this direct with VW customer service who to be honest were useless and quite aggressive. They eventually said to go to the motor ombudsman if I'm not happy.

Lately mine is giving me grief, I've worked out so far that if I start up the van without plugging in the bluetooth will connect ok then I can plug in the charging / usb cable for app connect.

Currently under test before I'm confident, already done 30k in the T6 so it must be an Android update or something that is interfering with it, I've even deactivated android auto in the phone

Lately mine is giving me grief, I've worked out so far that if I start up the van without plugging in the bluetooth will connect ok then I can plug in the charging / usb cable for app connect.

Currently under test before I'm confident, already done 30k in the T6 so it must be an Android update or something that is interfering with it, I've even deactivated android auto in the phone
Is that t6 ? As I'm talking about the newer t6.1

VW are aware of the problem of radios in t 6.1, mine is going in for a temporary update to fix the problem, they will do an update from the VW car radio, this works but changes the van icon on the radio to a car, which is not a big problem. Once they sort the van issue out I will do the van update then, but in the mean time I will be able to use the radio as it was designed

VW are aware of the problem of radios in t 6.1, mine is going in for a temporary update to fix the problem, they will do an update from the VW car radio, this works but changes the van icon on the radio to a car, which is not a big problem. Once they sort the van issue out I will do the van update then, but in the mean time I will be able to use the radio as it was designed

yeah someone else here had that software update, let us know how it goes.

My head unit was replaced by VW (France) and I don't have a van or car icon! I never saw what icon it had originally as the head unit failed within 30mins of picking up my new 6.1. But it seems to work ok now. A few glitchy iOS issues related to data connection method and audio stuttering but I worked them out.

I started another thread but it seems to have been side tracked with iPhone users.

Anyway I'm starting another thread to see how many other people are having the same problems I'm having.

I have a new T6.1 with the standard composition media unit and use an Android phone. I connect the phone through the usb and Google maps works fine including audio. I touch the Spotify or any thing other than maps and the audio does not work. Also none of the steering wheel controls will work.

I'd like to know how many other people have this problem. My dealer tested the van for a day and said basically vw know there is an issue but at the moment they can't offer a fix. I've since argued this direct with VW customer service who to be honest were useless and quite aggressive. They eventually said to go to the motor ombudsman if I'm not happy.

Is this still going on?!

The problem is that the van's head unit is not auto-switching to the USB audio input when being instructed to do so by the phone. So the phone is sending the audio (Spotify etc) but the van won't let you hear it.

VW Commercial Vehicles say there isn't a problem (this was as of October 2020) and so aren't preparing any sort of update.

VW Passenger Cars have identified the problem and have released an update. The Commercial and Passenger departments of VW, according to my dealer, hate each other and don't communicate.

At the moment, the solution is to ask your dealer to load the Car software onto the van. Mine did and it works fine - the only pay-off is that all pictures of the T6.1 within the GUI are now of a Golf.

Alternatively, buy an iPhone.

Is this still going on?!

The problem is that the van's head unit is not auto-switching to the USB audio input when being instructed to do so by the phone. So the phone is sending the audio (Spotify etc) but the van won't let you hear it.

VW Commercial Vehicles say there isn't a problem (this was as of October 2020) and so aren't preparing any sort of update.

VW Passenger Cars have identified the problem and have released an update. The Commercial and Passenger departments of VW, according to my dealer, hate each other and don't communicate.

At the moment, the solution is to ask your dealer to load the Car software onto the van. Mine did and it works fine - the only pay-off is that all pictures of the T6.1 within the GUI are now of a Golf.

Alternatively, buy an iPhone.
I was told by my dealer and VW customer services that they do know there's a problem but don't know when they will fix it.

Hello all!

I am a previous T6 DSG Highline owner & Collected my 6.1 DSG Highline last week.

So first - I cannot for love nor money seem to get my iphone to connect with the app connect. It does connect via bluetooth however so I can make calls.
It tells me to plug in the USB, but when I do nothing is happening, no charging of phone and no recognition of any form.
I also noticed one menu option says "mirrors fold on locking" - I have folding mirrors but this doesn't seem to be working either. hhmmm

COMPARISON TO T6

Frankly, I preferred the T6 highline. It seemed to have more included features and a more quality finish to the interior. chrome trim, leather steering wheel, simple but effective dashboard etc. Where's my little foot rest gone for the DSG? poor choice to lose that. But there we go. I'm sure it will grow on me. Picked up the van last Friday - Already got a windscreen crack today from a flying stone. Happy days

nightmare about the screen . . . Already !!!

anyway, start posting some pics of your new T6.1

In 4 years owning the previous T6 (in the beautiful blackberry) I never got a screen chip. This one - day 4!! .

I went pure grey this time as I wasn’t inspired by any of the metallic colours. Really glad I did because it’s gawjuss! It looks completely different depending on the light of the day!

Been so busy lately I haven’t even had time to take any decent pix.
Louis
D17EDA63-D80C-46B7-8E53-3B8060BC3C5D.jpeg

Hello all!

I am a previous T6 DSG Highline owner & Collected my 6.1 DSG Highline last week.

So first - I cannot for love nor money seem to get my iphone to connect with the app connect. It does connect via bluetooth however so I can make calls.
It tells me to plug in the USB, but when I do nothing is happening, no charging of phone and no recognition of any form.
I also noticed one menu option says "mirrors fold on locking" - I have folding mirrors but this doesn't seem to be working either. hhmmm

COMPARISON TO T6

Frankly, I preferred the T6 highline. It seemed to have more included features and a more quality finish to the interior. chrome trim, leather steering wheel, simple but effective dashboard etc. Where's my little foot rest gone for the DSG? poor choice to lose that. But there we go. I'm sure it will grow on me. Picked up the van last Friday - Already got a windscreen crack today from a flying stone. Happy days

Yet to pick up ours from the campervan converter, but the dealer mentioned this when we were speccing it. TBH he advised not to go with the Discovery Media unit which was decent of him and just use app connect BUT he said that you absolutely had to use the Apple grade USB cable, or a very decent quality one at least, otherwise it would not work... Not sure what cable you're using...?

Back