T6 or T6.1 connection to Android - sanity check

northy

Hi there experts

Can i sanity check something as i look to get a new / used Van

1. In a T6 you can only connect (to use Google maps / Spotify app etc) to an Android device via a wired USB connection? eg via a USB port in the Dash / comfort dash, if you have AppConnect pre-installed. There is no wireless connection out of the box?
  2. In a T6.1 there are 2 USBs (type C) down nearer the gear stick and i assume need AppConnect pre-installed? To connect wirelessly it will work with Apple....but not Android out of the box?
i think I've read about workarouns and other stuff...but was wondering what works out of the factory
Im an Android user and would prefer to connect wirelessly if possible

Cheers
Northy

I don't believe Android auto wireless is supported on the 6.1; picking mine up at the end of July so can confirm them. I use a Motorola MA1 to provide wireless AA auto on my current vehicle and it works flawlessly.

T6 from factory doesn't support wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay you'd need to buy an aftermarket headunit or device.

T6.1 has 2 USB C ports I think Discover pro supports wireless CarPlay but not Android Auto.

Carlink 4 adapter supports both

T6 from factory doesn't support wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay you'd need to buy an aftermarket headunit or device.

T6.1 has 2 USB C ports I think Discover pro supports wireless CarPlay but not Android Auto.

Hi there,
On my T6.1 Ocean, I use Android Auto wireless and/or wired. For the a complete wireless integration, it will use BT and WIFI.
Regards
Moise67

Android Auto works wired via the USB C ports on the 6.1. Or if you’ve got the upgraded Nav Discover Media it can be connected wirelessly. When you turn on the van, you’ll see the Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and MirrorLink logos at the bottom of the Welcome screen.

I’m on Apple and my husband had Android, we both connect via the USB C ports. Tried a Carlinkit AI box (one of the few I found that could do either phone wirelessly - dedicated Android only ones might be better) but found it would crackle after playing music for a while, or sometimes lose connection completely. So we got rid. We’re used to wireless but to be honest with the layout of the dash and some short cables, it’s not that inconvenient to have our phones plugged in.

Here’s Android Auto running via USB C on ours:

DA705388-7657-461E-80A8-D194A198FA26.jpeg

Speak to NR Coding. Sorted out my 2016 T6 over the weekend with the factory head unit. Wired connection via the dash USB but looking at a wireless option right now, like the Motorola MA1 if I can find one to buy.

Carlonk Kit 4 support wireless carplay and android iirc.

Why do I need to speak to NR Coding?

Just picked up my new T6.1 and can confirm that the Discover Media head unit does have wireless Android Auto. Just completed a 4 hour drive and it works flawlessly

Just picked up my new T6.1 and can confirm that the Discover Media head unit does have wireless Android Auto. Just completed a 4 hour drive and it works flawlessly
hi there cant get mine to work android auto wireless,what phone do you have please?mine will only work with cable

hi there cant get mine to work android auto wireless,what phone do you have please?mine will only work with cable
Discover Media is the upgraded screen that includes the sat nav. If you have the nav then you’ll also be able to use wireless CarPlay. Without, you’ll need to plug in via the USB-C ports.

I think it also depends on the version of software your infotainment is running. I'm on 0156 as its a 2020 van and my Discover Media only works on the cable.
I'm hoping to get mine updated soon to fix various bugs and believe I'll also get wireless AA too

Wireless Android Auto depends mainly on if your phone is compatible

Have it working on both Pixel 6 and Galaxy Flip4, neither have ever been plugged, just worked as soon as paired. Its the Discover Media Nav head unit .

hi guys and girls,im now wireless andriod auto,had to buy a carlnk4 and it works seemlessly.Vw shouldnt sell the wirelss hook on the pitch as doesnt work simple as that.
£70 later im all good

I helped fund the startup (via Indiegogo) for the AAWireless box and it has worked pretty much flawlessly for me.

Once intial setup is complete it is quick to connect every time and I've not had any issues in performance for a long time. Multiple firmware updates since release have got it working great.

I'm using a Pixel 7 Pro with an older Kenwood headunit, but I believe performance is pretty much down to your phone and not the headunit.

My Android Auto recently updated to the optional split screen "Coolwalk" version. Almost as good as having a new headunit!

Wireless AA website here:

I know you guys like to buy on Amazon, so here's a link below for those interested. From the listing it looks like it's fulfilled by Amazon so quick delivery for those with Prime.

I have no idea how this compare price wise to other solutions as I never looked into any other options.

I am not sure how much this will help but here goes anyway...Today I have just had the software upgrade (0743) on the infotainment system on my T6.1 LWB at my local VW van dealer and finally I can listen to podcasts and Spotify through Android Auto. My T6.1 is just exiting warrenty so it has taken a while to get it sorted. I am content with a wired connection as I can then charge the phone while in the vehicle and I know where the phone is if its connected to a wire.... :)

Hi there experts

Can i sanity check something as i look to get a new / used Van

In a T6 you can only connect (to use Google maps / Spotify app etc) to an Android device via a wired USB connection? eg via a USB port in the Dash / comfort dash, if you have AppConnect pre-installed. There is no wireless connection out of the box?
In a T6.1 there are 2 USBs (type C) down nearer the gear stick and i assume need AppConnect pre-installed? To connect wirelessly it will work with Apple....but not Android out of the box?
i think I've read about workarouns and other stuff...but was wondering what works out of the factory

Im an Android user and would prefer to connect wirelessly if possible

CheeMorning folks bizzarely rs

Northy

Hi strangely enough I got in my sportliner this morning and the Android auto just started working wireless.no carlink plugged in.

Maybe it'an o.t.a update or a.a has updated but I'm cable free yippe!

Hi strangely enough I got in my sportliner this morning and the Android auto just started working wireless.no carlink plugged in.

Maybe it'an o.t.a update or a.a has updated but I'm cable free yippe!
have you redone your bluetooth connection lately?
I had to have an infotainment update recently at the dealer, didnt have wireless AA before, but do now. its a firmware update rather than OTA. I had to delete my bluetooth and reconnect then it popped up wireless. :thumbsup:

Back