Do you have a T6.1 with faulty App-Connect?

Do you have a T6.1 with faulty App-Connect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't talk to me about continuous problems with Applecar play in my transporter - its so unreliable. BUT on EVERY loan Skoda I've had from them its NEVER been a problem so I think its more to do with the rigid suspension of the van and the lightning / USB ports and / or poor software in the T6 - even my local service centre are flumoxed

Fed up to the back teeth with it - but as I use carplay for my satnav and listening to podcasts, I'm stuck with it.

PS I've found that the echoing of the phone call can be reduced or eliminated by turning the volume down on the radio - yes seriously
Yep me too I have snap crackle and pop with mine too. I take out the cable and plug it back in again and it goes away. Since parking the phone on the small T6.1 shelf or on the floor its not been such a regular occurrence. Before I was using a magnetic case and a magnet holder on the airvent to the rhs of the steering wheel. When on there it happened more often. Its crackled both when playing music via CarPlay and sometimes on calls. Super annoying so I very keen to find a fix.

Finally had the follow up appointment/ service on this issue this morning.

Learnt from my previous visit and was armed with a video of the crackling ok full flow which really helped.

They tried to replicate the fault but no joy but have now escalated the issue to VWs UK HQ tech person.

Hoping to hear soon from them on next steps and will keep you posted if I make any progress.

In the meantime who knows, ios15 might fix it?!
Fingers crossed for all off us following this thread.

I went to VW this morning to have the crackling audio when using Apple car play for music. They replaced the USB sockets near the gear stick. I wasnt surprised that I still hade the same problem again. Booked in again on the 20th.

I’ve been 4 or 5 months now with no crackle (about 2000 miles) having done the the full system reset I described above. It’s a bit annoying having to reset the radio stations but I’ve had no problems on CarPlay with the crackle since.

I’ve been 4 or 5 months now with no crackle (about 2000 miles) having done the the full system reset I described above. It’s a bit annoying having to reset the radio stations but I’ve had no problems on CarPlay with the crackle since.
Will give it a go in the morning.

The factory reset method worked for me BUT maybe it was dependant on other steps. Here's exactly what I did.

- Disconnect the USB cable from the van. Turn the ignition off completely.
- Turn the key back on to power the van. I didn't start mine up but it probably doesn't matter.
- Change the Privacy settings on your Head-Unit to the least secure; this isn't your banking app so I'm pretty sure it's not a risk.
- Do a full factory-reset of the head unit; it's somewhere in the settings. Read the alerts as it sometimes says it hasn't done it properly. It took me 3 attempts.
- Install the VW WeConnect App on your phone; this needs your VIN number and connects to your van directly from VW. I suspect this step may enable a software update.

I also bought a new cable for a tenner off Amazon which probably has nothing to do with it but I'm just saying this for completion.
One of the above steps cured the issue. I've driven it for hours at a time and it's been bang-on ever since.

I hope this helps someone.
Worked for me, thank you @Booicore

Just wondering if anyone was still having problems with the standard Highline head unit and the apple CarPlay etc?

I use my phone for nav and calls LOTS for work, it would be a disaster for me if I couldn’t use the CarPlay properly.

It seems the whole point of the standard system Over the expensive Vw discover media nav option is the built in CarPlay as without that it’s basically a old radio with a touch screen.

Personally I couldn’t afford to take the van back and forth to Vw for a issue that shouldn’t even exist on modern vans like these.

With that said does the discover media unit have these issues? Or as the CarPlay works via Bluetooth and not usb connection on that unit does that solve it?

I’m asking this question in hindsight as I specified the discover media unit for my vehicle because I’m that concerned regarding the problems people are having.

Have I done the right thing as it maybe a very expensive option to maybe not dodge this issue?

Having had problems initially I’ve gone 6 months now since using the fix above and not had a problem. I use a VW own cable and plug in an iPhone 10. I’ve had hours worth of phone calls and Spotify use and no issues. Use Google maps too.

My van is suffering with this issue, it was in the local dealers for checks on Monday and they said it was the cable I was using, then gave me a VW cable to use. On the drive home, the noise was still there.

I've heard that there is a software update to cure this, does anyone know what the software version number is?

My van is suffering with this issue, it was in the local dealers for checks on Monday and they said it was the cable I was using, then gave me a VW cable to use. On the drive home, the noise was still there.

I've heard that there is a software update to cure this, does anyone know what the software version number is?
I’ve had the crackling/ interference issue for a year now. I’ve had the van into vw on 3 occasions over the past year, each time I've asked for it to be sorted. First few times they said never heard of it and it was because vw were way behind Apple on updates. Last time, whilst getting the Bowden recall job done, they acknowledged there was an issue and there was an update, but there tech guy was off sick with covid so they couldn’t do it with the other work. I may be a little naive but I can’t understand why this can’t be updated remotely. Point is there is an update available.

Good, I have read that in these vans if you use an Android phone you have a certain audio problem, I am attaching a video where it explains what you should do, I think it is in Spanish, but the problem is from YouTube and you can add subtitles.
This is a very different issue, to the one I am experiencing.

I’ve had the crackling/ interference issue for a year now. I’ve had the van into vw on 3 occasions over the past year, each time I've asked for it to be sorted. First few times they said never heard of it and it was because vw were way behind Apple on updates. Last time, whilst getting the Bowden recall job done, they acknowledged there was an issue and there was an update, but there tech guy was off sick with covid so they couldn’t do it with the other work. I may be a little naive but I can’t understand why this can’t be updated remotely. Point is there is an update available.
Do you know what the new software version number is? It would be handy to know, so I can quote it to the dealer.

My issue with the crackle is still on going. Now speaking directly with VW UK on the issue.

One solution I have been considering is buying one of these and wondered if any of you have anything similar and if it resolved the issue.

I have seen a reduction in the frequency of the dreaded crackle since cleaning out routinely the lighting connector at the base of the phone.

This is encouraging, thanks for sharing.

I used to have the occasional crackling issue with music but a factory reset of the head unit seemed to resolve this.

However I still get the phone call echo issue. It's irregular but when it happens the person I'm speaking to says it sounds like I'm underwater. I've done a test when this last happened and pulled the lead out so the phone went into bluetooth calling and this fixed the problem on the call. I've not tested it again.

The CPlay2Air is a good shout and I think in theory would resolve the issue. I recently got a similar unit from Transporter HQ. Mainly as I didn't want to always plug the phone in (I've got a T6.1) to have music. I've had it a few weeks and not had any issues with phone calls, I've only had a few calls. Seems a good unit, it takes 30sec-1min to load through a few screens before you're into the Carplay menu which you get used to quickly.

Here's a link to the Transporter HQ device

I used to have the occasional crackling issue with music but a factory reset of the head unit seemed to resolve this.

However I still get the phone call echo issue. It's irregular but when it happens the person I'm speaking to says it sounds like I'm underwater. I've done a test when this last happened and pulled the lead out so the phone went into bluetooth calling and this fixed the problem on the call. I've not tested it again.

The CPlay2Air is a good shout and I think in theory would resolve the issue. I recently got a similar unit from Transporter HQ. Mainly as I didn't want to always plug the phone in (I've got a T6.1) to have music. I've had it a few weeks and not had any issues with phone calls, I've only had a few calls. Seems a good unit, it takes 30sec-1min to load through a few screens before you're into the Carplay menu which you get used to quickly.

Here's a link to the Transporter HQ device
Happy to report with this solution I’ve had no crackling in about two weeks use.

I’m planning on requesting VW pay the £120
For the unit though.

Next issue is charging!! Anyone got any tips on a MagSafe charger that works on what appears to be quite a low wattage feed from aforementioned USB C sockets?!

I've also had this issue for a year and a half now. VW don't want to try and help! they are useless - unfortunately the issue only happens while driving and so its really hard to demonstrate the issue at the VW garage.

I've been following this thread for a while and I've tried multiple factory resets of the head unit. This seems to temporarily fix the problem for maybe a few journeys, but it eventually comes back. If anyone manages to get an upgrade to the head unit which fixes it, do let us know what the version number for the upgrade was so I can quote it to the VW garage

Still can't quite believe I bought a new van and it has this issue and they haven't addressed trying to fix it! super annoying

I've also had this issue for a year and a half now. VW don't want to try and help! they are useless - unfortunately the issue only happens while driving and so its really hard to demonstrate the issue at the VW garage.

I've been following this thread for a while and I've tried multiple factory resets of the head unit. This seems to temporarily fix the problem for maybe a few journeys, but it eventually comes back. If anyone manages to get an upgrade to the head unit which fixes it, do let us know what the version number for the upgrade was so I can quote it to the VW garage

Still can't quite believe I bought a new van and it has this issue and they haven't addressed trying to fix it! super annoying
Mine was updated to software version 0743 which sorted my issues. Which version are you on?

I've recently been told that the fix for this is to have the 'commercial' software removed from the audio system and have it turned into a 'personal vehicle system'? I wonder if this is what the SVN 0743 does?

Back