T6 or T6.1 connection to Android - sanity check

OK so....

After racking my brains over this for about a year I can conclusively say that, at this current point in time, with the latest Software running on the T6.1 Nav Discover Media Head unit...
Wireless Android Auto is ENTIRELY down to the phone.

Yesterday me and my lovely lady jumped in the Van for a day trip down to Devon. I went to plug in my 2019 Android as per usual, when all of a sudden the van is only to happy to connect completely wirelessly to her brand spanking new 2023 Samsung

She was connected in a flash, before I could even plug mine in and connect. Was all through Bluetooth and worked perfectly the entirety of the drive. Something I have been attempting (and failing to do for months)

The only slight difference I could notice in the wireless connection was that Google maps had slightly less definition to it. Like it was running at 720 not 1080. More than likely something to do with the data transfer limit over Bluetooth.

SOLVED!... Sort of
Although it doesn't answer the question why my older phone doesn't work?? Surely the Bluetooth hardware is the same? And my handset is perfectly happy to run AA via a USB cable...
Is it really a ploy to make us all buy new phones?

So maybe not as solved as I thought. Although at least I don't feel like I'm going a crazy as I once did! :D

Does anybody use MirrorLink? I'm getting frustrated by the restricted number of apps that run on AA. eg a music player that will play my music stored on the phone. Using the voice function it has very recently stopped playing any programmes on BBC sounds when you ask it to - you just get a reply that albums are not allowed on BBC Sounds even when asking for the exact programme name.

Does anybody use MirrorLink? I'm getting frustrated by the restricted number of apps that run on AA. eg a music player that will play my music stored on the phone. Using the voice function it has very recently stopped playing any programmes on BBC sounds when you ask it to - you just get a reply that albums are not allowed on BBC Sounds even when asking for the exact programme name.
After minimal research I see MirrorLink is stopping fairly soon - sorry to waste peoples time.

Wireless Android Auto is ENTIRELY down to the phone.
On a T6.1 I agree, as I bought my van in November 2022, and wireless AA didn't work with my Samsung S7. Upgraded to Samsung S10e and wireless AA now perfect. I believe Android version has to be at least 11, possibly 12. My S10e is v12.

I've read through this thread, but there appears to be lots of contradictory posts and, TBH, I'm not really any the wiser as to whether my setup is able to support wireless Android Auto or not.

I have a 2023 T6.1 with the headunit that comes as standard on a Highline (not the upgraded version with nav) and I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ running Android v10. My phone should be capable of supporting wireless AA according to the this article...

This is the relevant extract from that article...
1684410337953.png

So... it must be my headunit that doesn't support wireless AA, right? Or do I just need a firmware upgrade?

Any help gratefully received. :confused:

It's a bit of both with the discover media. Some look the same but have newer hardware and support it by default (depending on phone) others needed a software update like mine to get it to work on my old galaxy S10 and my 2020 van
However, I don't believe the standard headunit supports it at all unless you try one of those aftermarket dongles.

Reactions: Bav
It's a bit of both with the discover media. Some look the same but have newer hardware and support it by default (depending on phone) others needed a software update like mine to get it to work on my old galaxy S10 and my 2020 van
However, I don't believe the standard headunit supports it at all unless you try one of those aftermarket dongles.
Thanks Paul - it makes sense that the lesser headunit doesn't support wireless.

That's too old for wireless AA. That's what I had, then got it changed to 0274 I think then it started to work k. My old galaxy S10

That's too old for wireless AA. That's what I had, then got it changed to 0274 I think then it started to work k. My old galaxy S10
I'm also having the head unit turn off and on while driving issue. Guess a software update would fix that also. Dealer software update ?

Mine was a dealer update yes. It will clear any additional coding you've had to the unit though

So van in today for final vw sevuce and I asked for the info system to be updated. They asked me why, I said maybe it would fix the resitting issues and my wireless connectivity would work so I can take full advantage of the vw connect app. Was told its not free as its a van and commercial rules apply and if my van did not have wireless android auto to start with its not free. Good job sticking you van vin into the id app online shows every option you vehicle was sold with which includes wireless connectivity.

2021 6.1 with the standard head unit as supplied. Whatever android phone you have (I have just bought a high end one with latest android) the head unit does not support wireless android connect. "Wireless Connectivity" the phrase used in the post above, might just mean blue tooth media connection.

Finally got the software updates I asked for. Wireless android auto now works and no more sos calls so far. Only problem now is sat nav does not work, spining circle with starting sat nav is displayed with the world map. Quick fix ?

Back