Team Indium Grey

It was a post asking what was the harm really in doing the under rated wheel mod.. From an insurer who wasn't condoning doing it.....................

Hence my mods to my post, then he deleted the content and stated that it was no longer relevant..

It was a post asking what was the harm really in doing the under rated wheel mod.. From an insurer who wasn't condoning doing it.....................

Hence my mods to my post, then he deleted the content and stated that it was no longer relevant..

Ah, thanks..makes sense now..

Last edited:

I deleted it as it was simply off topic. The point I was making was about perceived risks and how speeding seems to be acceptable amongst majority of motorists yet having non load rated wheels on a vehicle that was never going to be fully loaded was a complete no-no. At no point did I say 'wheres the harm in it'.

Some will say never but statistics say that 70% of people speed on a regular basis. If you are speeding and get caught or cause an accident there can also be legal implications. , so who is more at risk of encountering legal implications, a regular speeder or someone with wheels that can easily cope with the weight of an unladen van?

Like I said Im not condoning anything, I went for sportlines for the exact reason of not wanting to break the law but merely putting into context how people perceive different risks.

The above was the post that you removed.. By implication and wording where you say that "With load rated wheels they are surely only a risk if the van is fully loaded" I.e. You are only at risk of problems if you load the vehicle up. I.e if you don't, you should be ok. Basically where's the harm in it..

Lets not miss any of it out Dave

'Now im not condoning anything at all before anyone questions what Im about to say. How many people here break the speed limit?! How many do 35 in a 30 or 80 on a motorway? Some will say never but statistics say that 70% of people speed on a regular basis. There there is a good chance that people who would never entertain incorrect load rated tyres would happily speed. If you are speeding and get caught or cause an accident there can also be legal implications. With load rated wheels they are surely only a risk if the van is fully loaded, so who is more at risk of encountering legal implications, a regular speeder or someone with wheels that can easily cope with the weight of an unladen van?

Like I said Im not condoning anything, I went for sportlines for the exact reason of not wanting to break the law but merely putting into context how people perceive different risks.

T6 Dave - no need to get defensive, I have seen this view point from lots of members so dont think this is a direct response to your post. Id like to see peoples responses not for causing an argument but as its interesting understanding how peoples minds work when it comes to risks - after all thats the industry I work in.'

Last edited:
Sorry, did cut and paste the whole lot, but it obviously did not insert it all.. Like I said in my post to @Fish , you were not condoning doing it, merely asking what was the real harm in it.... The answer is..... 24points and a loss of licence, if your caught.. I wouldn't take the chance, would never encourage directly or indirectly someone to do it, and will at every opertunity try to dissuade them from doing it, as it reflects badly on the '32 owners.

But thanks again for the completeness..

Each to their own......Exactly, leave the guy do what he wants!

Going back 12years to the birth of T4Forum, unless you chose genuine VW commercial alloys as optional extras when purchasing a vehicle, Load rated wheels any bigger than 16" for commercial vehicles were almost non existent........Therefor everyone were running any wheels that had a matching pcd - T4's were(and still are) using wheels from Audi, Mercedes or VW cars, then the T5's were and again still are using wheels from BMW's.........then more common these days we have the banded steels, cutting & welding...... :eek:

My history -
Mk5 Golf GTI wheels on a T4
BMW Z3 wheels on 1st T5
Porsche 911 wheels on a Caddy using pcd adapters
Banded Steels on 2nd T5

All above, except T4, have been on coilovers so Tyres were chosen to fit within the arches, and not necessarily weight rated to the vehicle......

I have also probably previously exceed the speed limit at some point, I have gone a month without MOT by mistake in the past, I drank alcohol in a public house before I was 18, I often remove my hard hat when working on site ......... And the list could go on

People are worrying about weight ratings, once you've all found the 'right' set up I'm sure the first trip onto the motorway and the cruise control will be set at 80mph !!!....oops

Personally I think the whole T32 wheel & tyre nonsense is worried about far too much !

Last edited:
Thats why I deleted my post, I was curious but knew it would be taken the wrong way. Then when I saw a comment that put me in what I considered a bad and unfair light had to respond to show that was not the intention.

Im quite happy for Pauly to delete all my comments and get this thread back on topic.

Then when I saw a comment that put me in what I considered a bad and unfair light had to respond to show that was not the intention.

Oh yeah.. Really.. No way matey.......... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: That's where I will leave that response!

Thats why I deleted my post, I was curious but knew it would be taken the wrong way. Then when I saw a comment that put me in what I considered a bad and unfair light had to respond to show that was not the intention.

Im quite happy for Pauly to delete all my comments and get this thread back on topic.

@PukkaT6 to be fair I don't think the summary of your original post put you in a "bad and unfair light".

However, in response to your original post about perceived risk, I would agree that most people would regard speeding as the greater risk and of being caught because of the efforts put into reducing speeding as a cause of deaths and injuries. This is also in an effort to prevent inappropriate speed which is the killer and may be caused by only a momentary lapse.

As to vehicles that are fitted with under-rated components, this is usually caused by an individual making a conscious decision to fit such items that renders the vehicle to be non compliant with Construction & Use Regulations and the Type Approval for that vehicle model. It is always open to the owner to apply for the "down-plating" of the vehicle and the issue of a revised V5 to ensure the vehicle remains legal, but the perception of the majority, based upon ignorance of the regulations, is that as the vehicle is never going to be fully loaded that there is no danger despite the fact that others might use the vehicle and could exceed the under-rated component limits through ignorance of the potential dangers. There is also a perception that there is little risk of being caught as often the offence is only uncovered during a fatal incident investigation. Owners are also known to replace under-rated wheels and tyres with standard components when presenting a vehicle for MoT.

What many lose sight of is that it is a conscious action to fit under-rated components and that each and every time that the vehicle is on the public highway then it is knowingly being used unlawfully and the insurance will be invalidated as a result.

As has been stated before, "each to their own decision", but to knowingly modify and use on a regular basis a vehicle that is not legally compliant is irresponsible and should never be condoned.

In Summary: I asked why people who are willing to speed are so against using underrated wheels on vans they are never going to fully load, despite the fact speeding is far more likely to amount to a criminal conviction or accident.

I didnt say its harmless crack on.

And I can guarantee that nearly every tradesman on the forum will have at some point overloaded their van either in terms of gross weight; or gross train weight towing; or axel weight; or tyre load (too much weight on one side of the van); or roof rack weight ................. some people will overload it daily; some people will have never used a weigh bridge, and may not even know they are overloaded. Some people will fit parts that are of such poor quality......... Some people will run their tyres down to the bare legal minimum 1.6mm, with a huge increase in braking distances on a wet day; some people will fit tyres that even with 7mm of tread are total rubbish in every respect whilst being legal, are certainly not safe in an emergency.

As a previous contributor said, lets try and be kind with each other, whilst all trying to understand what our decisions could mean to ourselves and other road users. A Men :)

Back