TallPaul's Caravelle - MTB wagon!

Progress on the same bit above, it's now almost done.

1000006392.jpg
The 2 ducts in place, with one going to the front of the unit, in between the fridge and the back of the drivers seat, leading to a vent on the front.

1000006394.jpg

I'll have storage to the right of the vent, big enough for cans of food. Then another shelf above the ducting, as it'll be capped off on top.

This bit of the unit is by far the most complex, once this is done I should be able to race through the rest!

The cut out on the left side is for the seatbase plugs, I'll be running a connector through this to a fusebox in the unit for the fridge, lights, water pump and some usb ports.

I've got a day off work tomorrow so will continue with this, should be able to get this section fully completed.

Last edited:
More progress, still a way off though - a couple more bits to cut and then a load of finishing bits (socket and switch cut outs, water container tie downs, holes for the ducting route...)

Oh and I need to drill the mounting holes for the fridge in the unit and in the fridge!

A slight alteration to the design, it's not going to have rear panels or doors - the slot in the right side front will be to hold a Campingaz CV470+ cannister and regulator (it'll be turned off and disconnected when not in use) - to get this in alongside the water containers I've chosen, they need to poke out of the rear by about 10mm, and due to how close the unit is to the sliding door at the top, the panels would need to sit inside the vertical sections. So there's just not enough space for any rear panels.

It does mean a bit less work for me though!! And it'll mean easier access to fresh/grey water via the side door, and more cooling for the fridge.

1000006469.jpg

1000006470.jpg

The far right cut out is for the 2nd of the 2 vents for the air heater. I did a quick and dirty test of the vents without the intakes being secured in and there was no air coming out around the vent section, it was working brilliantly.

Last edited:
Oh and the clearance to the weird jutting out section on the C pillar, yeah that was completely by design that it just clears it and that there's enough room for the worktop overhang...

:oops::D

Not the best pic but I'm now, after completely disassembling the pod to make some necessary cuts and adjustments, reassembling for the final time. Just need to drill the fridge and the unit to mount it and make a couple of other small bits to raise the water containers off the rail thumbscrews and spacers for the underside so it's all level.

1000006578.jpg

I've got the sink and tap coming this week, so I'll get to starting work on the worktop this weekend hopefully.

These are my 2 bits of solid walnut worktop. The big bit for the main worktop and the smaller bit for the pull out table which will sit above the sink.
1000006549.jpg
1000006548.jpg

The kitchen pod is now 99% dry assembled, just a couple things to do when I next take it out, like a spacer for the bottom near the vent, and a couple of holes for the wiring. The duct underneath has p-clips but they have to be mounted before I put the unit in, and it's a 2 person job to put it in.

1000006615.jpg
1000006616.jpg

The fridge is also drilled and mounted in the unit, I'll be ordering some cap head screws and sleeve nuts to secure it rather than the self tapping screws it's held in with at the moment.

1000006617.jpg

I'm waiting for a blanking plate for the single CBE socket which will go in the round hole on the left side, this will house my 4 switches for the fridge, USB sockets, water pump and dimmer switch for the LED lights. Once I've got all the electrics I'll mock that up.

I also need to order a guide bush and router bit so I can get to work on cutting the worktop.

Big update time. The kitchen pod is done!!

1000007350.jpg
1000007354.jpg
1000007355.jpg
1000007358.jpg
1000007341.jpg

It houses:

50l fridge
Big sink
16l fresh/grey water containers
Space for a Campingaz CV470 plus cannister
2x USB and 2x std USB charging ports,
1x 3 pin powered from hookup
Storage for tins of food plus other bits
Dimmable LED down lighting
Flexible over worktop light
2 burner Cadac 2 Cook 3 Pro Deluxe QR stored under the pull out table
And a pull out table :p

All the electrics are switched and fed via a 50a Anderson connector into a fuse box on the unit. I've got an additional Anderson connector feed for some lights and USB ports for the rear of the van which I'll add later.

The led strip and flexible light isn't enough really so I'll plant to add some led strips above the doors soon, powered from the leisure battery.

I'll get some pics with both bikes in tomorrow, to prove it all fits (just!).

Next job, the bed!!

Pics with 2x full size (and by that I mean LONG) mountain bikes, 29ers.

1000007378.jpg
1000007384.jpg
1000007379.jpg
Did I mention space was tight?
1000007380.jpg
1000007381.jpg
1000007382.jpg
1000007385.jpg
But, it all fits!! The bike on the right (looking front the back) is the longest bike I'll ever have so if this fits, anything will!

One amendment to the kitchen pod, the drawer doesn't hold open (the drawer runners have the hold in function but it's not strong enough) so I've ordered some neodymium magnets and ferrous metal tape, I'll attach these to the rear of the drawer which will hold it closed.

Bed design.

This took a load of head scratching and trying to find the right tools for the job. I wanted something that slid out partially, and after hours of YouTube videos, I came across these guys:

At 14 minutes in you can see a pull down and slide out bed.

After much much more searching through their videos to see how they were doing this, I screenshot this:

1000006086.png
Which was EXACTLY the type of sliding mechanism I was after. After a load more googling, I found the slider.

I've ordered these, and the rest of the bed frame will be made of 30mm aluminium profile.

This is the design. In bed function, the panel on the left is one of the 2 uprights already in my van.
1000007369.jpg
1000007388.jpg

The right legs will be on u joints which lock into place. The left legs will be removable with thumb screws. Same as in the video.

The right section will fold upwards, and the middle section will slide into the left section, also as per the video. In folded form:
1000007370.jpg

So, in normal every day use, I'll have 4 seats (Inc driver), which easily fits 4x of me at 6ft 3in.
1000007386.jpg
Then when camping, I'll either fold the rear seat and slide it as far back to give the middle seat more room, or remove one seat which will give me a load more room.

Then in bed form, I'll fold both seats, pull out the bed, attach the 2x legs, then fold down the last section and fold out the legs. Arrange my cushions and I'm done! It's only a single bet but I've slept in far worse places and it's likely to be much better than a tent!

1000007387.jpg
Cost-wise, it's not a cheap option, the slides are £100 with the tracks, and there's £200 worth of aluminium profile and fixings in there too! Then there's the foam for the cushions which is about £120...

Oh and I've also got a set of window bags on order from 50° Nord:
1000007389.jpg
I need these to make sure the bed frame clears them. They'll also act as blackouts for the rear windows, and of course some much needed storage!

I'll probably need to set aside some budget for a visit to @CRS Performance to sort the suspension - it's on std caravelle suspension but has had 30mm (sport line) spring fitted, which means it's sitting pretty low! It scrapes the front mudguards on my work speedbumps which aren't particularly big. And I've not yet got all the stuff in the back of the van yet.

1000007391.jpg
1000007392.jpg

I want to change to BFG K02'S on a set of OZ rally raids, and as it is id only fit 225/65's - but I reckon with a set of std springs, koni special active shocks and a 20mm lift kit that should take me back to just over std (non caravelle) height which will allow 245/65 BFG K02'S.

Fantastic use of space for your bikes. The dimpled black flooring is to make any mess easier to clean up I guess. Do you cover them if they are muddy?

Fantastic use of space for your bikes. The dimpled black flooring is to make any mess easier to clean up I guess. Do you cover them if they are muddy?
Yeah it's just rubber coin matting, makes brushing out the bike drawer easier.

I'm planning on adding some extra water storage for washing the bikes if they're really dirty before they go in the van. I've got a worx hydroshot pressure washer so just need some extra water (I could use the sink water but it gets through water fairy fast).

Covering up the bikes is also an option I'd not looked into, might see what covers I can make!

When I was cycling the best Father’s Day present I received was a Minoura bike workstand. With that and minimal tools I could fix most things. There may be lighter more portable ones nowadays.

Seeing that all come together that's an impressively elegant solution, brilliant. I love the fact it works for what you want but you've still got 4 seats and your pod looks like a nice standalone design for camping even if the bikes are not there.

Can't wait to see what you do next...

Seeing that all come together that's an impressively elegant solution, brilliant. I love the fact it works for what you want but you've still got 4 seats and your pod looks like a nice standalone design for camping even if the bikes are not there.

Can't wait to see what you do next...
Cheers! Yeah it should work for me, obviously I haven't used it in anger yet but it should be fine.

Once I've got the bed done, and got the remaining curtains installed I'll take it for a test night.

The only thing that's going to be tricky is storage space, and drying/storing wet/smelly clothes. But that's like any T6, and worse if I was camping.

I'll have a couple of drawers at the back under the bed, then the 2 window bags, and I need to do something with the space between the bikes and the drivers side, there's space for a full face helmet and stuff. I'll get a seat organiser, and basically try and make use of every nook and cranny for storage.

I'll remove one if the rear seats on anything longer than a day or 2, that'll give me both more space to move about in the van, and more storage space for stuff.

I'd be tempted to think soft storage, a selection of heavier duty dry bags as used for sailing etc are great for storing clothes and gear and keeping mud in (or out) and can stuff into all the odd shapes and maybe even between bike bits.

I'd be tempted to think soft storage, a selection of heavier duty dry bags as used for sailing etc are great for storing clothes and gear and keeping mud in (or out) and can stuff into all the odd shapes and maybe even between bike bits.
Ah yes, I do already use a set of karrimor dry bags - crucial for storing stinky, sweaty kit when camping!

It's also the masses of paraphernalia that goes with mountain biking - helmet, shoes, gloves, knee pads, backpack etc etc. :rofl:

A week long trip will be the real test.

I will add I'm no stranger to having to pack light and fit stuff in a limited space - this was my motorbike for 2 weeks in the Alps, mostly camping
1000007395.jpg
1000007397.jpg
And a week long camping trip in Germany
1000007396.jpg

So I don't think fitted a week's worth of clothes and kit into a T6 should be a problem! :p

Last edited:
I'll probably need to set aside some budget for a visit to @CRS Performance to sort the suspension - it's on std caravelle suspension but has had 30mm (sport line) spring fitted, which means it's sitting pretty low! It scrapes the front mudguards on my work speedbumps which aren't particularly big. And I've not yet got all the stuff in the back of the van yet.

View attachment 237735
View attachment 237736

I want to change to BFG K02'S on a set of OZ rally raids, and as it is id only fit 225/65's - but I reckon with a set of std springs, koni special active shocks and a 20mm lift kit that should take me back to just over std (non caravelle) height which will allow 245/65 BFG K02'S.
Amazing build well done. Re: wheels, tyres, springs etc on a Caravelle

I rebuilt the front end last spring on my Caravelle 5.1, I went for std steel 17" wheels with Falken Wildthingy 235/65's for a trip tho the Alps this winter, and must admit they have transformed the ride and I want to keep them the whole year now. Rear is a little soggy so I have bought Koni rear shocks and rubbers from CRS, and as an experiment I am going to try some t32 delivery mileage springs.

So -20mm Caravelle springs are grey/grey/orange on the front and green/green/orange on the back currently, and have grey/grey/grey/green - front, and grey/grey/grey - rear. I will try the rears on their own and see how they are, I am hoping for +20mm and stiffer rear. What I can gather is there are three rear spring options for std height t32 1x, 2x and 3x grey. They were cheap enough to get another rear set of the lower weight if 3x grey is too much. I will post pictures before and after

Back