T6 - Diesel smell in the cab

Has anyone had this issue with CFCA engine,had new engine ,turbo and DPF fitted 4000 miles ago ,all been running well ,then today the dreaded fumes in the cab started ,got back it was like the engine was on fire coming out of the front grill .Can a split in the EGR pipe cause this ?

Has anyone had this issue with CFCA engine,had new engine ,turbo and DPF fitted 4000 miles ago ,all been running well ,then today the dreaded fumes in the cab started ,got back it was like the engine was on fire coming out of the front grill .Can a split in the EGR pipe cause this ?
I’ve haven’t heard of it being an issue with a CFCA, I’ve got approx’ 56K miles on mine without issues. Possibly because there may be less vibration than other engines due to the balancer shafts.
If you’ve had an engine rebuild the leakage could be elsewhere, best find it sooner than later.

Sounds like a DPF regeneration to me. It must have been in full swing when you stopped. They do it every 200 miles.

I have a CFCA, obviously it does a regen‘ as required but I’ve never noticed it.

Smoke coming from under bonnet during regen was what alerted me to split egr pipe

Hi everyone. So I’ve had the same issue. I took it to the garage and helped them along with info from these posts. They are charging me £298 fitted for a new Engr pipe. I can’t help feel like they’ve had my eyes out. Any thoughts?

The back pipe is pig so wouldn't be too suprised at £200+ but the front pipe is easy, nearer £100 fitted, so depends which pipe?

The back pipe is pig so wouldn't be too suprised at £200+ but the front pipe is easy, nearer £100 fitted, so depends which pipe?
Thank you. They never actually said. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow and argue the toss.

Got it replaced under warranty by Vw and the invoice showed that price for the back pipe.

Hi everyone. So I’ve had the same issue. I took it to the garage and helped them along with info from these posts. They are charging me £298 fitted for a new Engr pipe. I can’t help feel like they’ve had my eyes out. Any thoughts?
Could you have fitted the part yourself?

What engine / gearbox do you have fitted to your transporter?

So I got it sorted. There was a nice little split in it. And, now my van doesn’t sound like it’s gonna conk out every time I lift my foot off the gas. Double winner.

Getting a diesel smell in the cab (2017, 56k, full camper conversion). Seems most noticeble the day after we've done a long run. Having done some reading here I assumed it was leaking rear EGR pipe. Had VW assist out and the guy's had the pipe off but can't spot a leak anywhere.

To me it does smell more like diesel than exhaust, but not 100% on this. Also have a webasco diesel heater installed, but can't smell anything noticebaly around it (under drivers seat) and it hasn't been used since early May anyway.

Any other suggestions for pinning this down? Maybe it is the EGR pipe but that's only noticeable once everything is fully warmed up so the assist guy missed it? Would you expect exhaust fumes to still be present/noticeable in the cab 24hrs after it's been driven? It's got 3 months left on the warranty so would be good for VW to cover the cost of the pipe before then.

could be diesel leaking into the Derv heater? ( had that on my portable unit - syphon effect i think)

have you tried running the heater on 100% full power for an hour to give it a good run. . .

then see if the smell is still evident?

could be diesel leaking into the Derv heater? ( had that on my portable unit - syphon effect i think)

have you tried running the heater on 100% full power for an hour to give it a good run. . .

then see if the smell is still evident?
No, will give that a try now

goy some pics of :

the van, heater, under the van, the engine bay

etc etc . . .

there maybe some signs of either black carbon from exhaust leak,

or damp spots from diesel leaking.

Have you had any conversion work done near the tailgate / barn doors recently?

Back