Diesel smell and whistling noise.

jpmcgarry

Hi,

Just purchased T5 Kombi and very happy so far (see photo below) only issue being there is a very strong smell of diesel coming from the inside of the cab. The previous owner very vaguely said it had been used for transporting quads etc (so there must have been other similar type engines and generally dirty equipment put in the rear of the van) there was strangely a lot of muck and dirt under the actual load liner mat but the top of it was very clean. I have already replaced the load liner which was heavily soaked and had a strong smell of diesel.

The smell has since got weaker but still very noticeable in the front of the cab The seats have all been cleaned and valeted and there is no smell coming from them. Although very hard to know without seeing it in person but is there anywhere under the body of the van it could be sitting as none of the actual fabrics of the van have any smell of diesel. Overall very confused. When a jacket or piece of clothing is sitting in the van for a few days at a time they pickup the diesel smell so quite annoying overall.

Anyway, any help or suggestion are much appreciated

EADBC195-BC8E-45EB-AD8A-033FFAB0533F.jpeg

Cracked EGR pipe under the bonnet. You’ll probably be able to hear it hissing

Thanks for your reply I will check this out. I am prettconfident there has been diesel spilt as there was a greasy residue under the loading mat in the back of the van so this is why I am sure it has soaked into a certain part of the van which is not visible to the eye..

Last edited:
Good evening all,
I made the mistake of having my T5.1 serviced, new intercooler and Flywheel at a main dealer..
The service was shocking and at 3.5k lighter am slightly miffed, I would go back and kick off but it was done in Guildford (closest one after channel tunnel and limp mode had kicked in) and I live in Norfolk so a right pain...
Anyway I digress, since the service there has been a whistling at low revs and smell of fumes/diesel in the cab, the whistling goes once you floor it.
Has anyone had this problem at all? Could it be the new Flywheel? Bearing in mind when I got van back my DLR and fogs were all broken as front end had to come off for an Intercooler change at the sh 1 t e garage mentioned earlier, I have absolutely NO faith in their work...
Please give me your thoughts..

Back