T6 - Diesel smell in the cab

No significant work done on the van since its conversion 2.5yrs ago. The assist guy was pretty thorough looking around the engine for soot, but I'll have a go myself over the weekend. Will see how I get on running the heater this afternoon and will try to get access under the drivers seat to have a closer look at the heater. Want to completely rule that out first off as it's not covered by the VW warranty. Will let you know how I get on :thumbsup:

Reactions: CJW
Has anyone welded up the crack on these pipes? Main dealer will fleece me for this.
The design has changed to mitigate the cracking problem. Afaik the new pipe is around £120. It’s not a big job to fit it. If you’re out of warranty, get your local trusted independent to do it. Or DIY.

So, I am getting the diesel exhaust fume smell in the cab and very strong when I stick my head under the bonnet. My van appears to have the new shape rear pipe.
How easy is it to diagnose a cracked pipe (front or rear)? should you see smoke, be able to feel gas being puffed out? I have had my hand around it and looked as closely as I can and cant spot anything Would leak detection spary/soapy water help?

I understand the EGR only operated under certain conditions so is there a circumstance where the engine woudl be running but the egr not operational therefore no gas flowing through pipes?

Are there any other potential causes of exhaust fumes in engine bay/ ventilation in to cab? I do get the low Nox gas code when I plug in OBDeleven

Thank you. And would this be something that can be done right from turning a cold engine on or would gases only be present/gear valve operational after some time?

is there a circumstance where the engine woudl be running but the egr not operational therefore no gas flowing through pipes?
During "normal" running only engine braking turns off the recirculation (on hot engine) - all other times recirculating.
An example plot here:

During active DPF regeneration the EGR won't recirculate exhaust gases.

It is frustrating when every other post with fumes in cab goes something like this:
A) I can smell fumes in cab
B) that will be a cracked EGR pipe, go check
C) yes, I nipped out and checked and I spotted it straight away. It's now been fixed (ouch, them new pipes are expensive!)

Or something similar.

I am trying all sorts to see if there is a crack, with no luck. Just start to feel a bit light headed with my head under the bonnet for so long surrounded by exhaust fumes.

If I take it to a garage, where would they be looking for exhaust leaks?
What leak would trigger a 'P040100 exhaust gas redirect flow insufficient detected' code?

Or are the two not linked?
Please help

During "normal" running only engine braking turns off the recirculation (on hot engine) - all other times recirculating.
An example plot here:

During active DPF regeneration the EGR won't recirculate exhaust gases.
Unless the EGR valve is leaking which I suspect many are.

I am trying all sorts to see if there is a crack, with no luck. Just start to feel a bit light headed with my head under the bonnet for so long surrounded by exhaust fumes.
You surely have tried the old school method - by blocking (partially) the tailpipe to put up backpressure in the exhaust pipework?

Exhaust gases out of engine? Or internally - letting exhaust gases into intake when indicated to be closed?
On every EGR unit I’ve pulled apart the valve is partially open due to carbon deposits. That said they have all been high mileage.

Reactions: mmi
Back