T6 2018 4 motion Bilstein B14 Coil Over Noise (Rear Rattle)

Tony Smith

CSS Ltd.
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Took Deliver of the above van and decided to go for the top of the top level coil over kit all round, the van is a 4 motion

Knowing the kits are already a problem as you have to the correct kit for that van I made sure all the boxes were ticked and every thing was bound to be correct.

we proceeded in the installation and carried out the full install by the book, set them up and measured every thing after a good run.

Despite the above and despite having every tick in the box correct we have still ended up with problems.

The van now has a knocking noise as if the tailgate is not locked over bumps and its really getting under my skin, has any one else had this or seen this in the past and does any one actually know the answer.

Is it the Diff that does not like this or is it some thing else with the swinging arms or drive shafts.

Responses very welcome IMG_0175.JPG IMG_0177.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if the same is applicable when swapping to coil overs, but a number of people have spoken about a plastic cover on the top of the rear shock / spring that unless you refit it it properly it makes a knocking noise?

@Tony Smith might be worth getting in touch with @BognorMotors as they have fitted B14's to a 4motion. The only reason I say this is because Bilstein don't list a kit for the B14, so Bognor should know what the score is I.e checking part number etc.
Just a thought.
I have had no noise from mine.

Oli at Bognor installed B14s on my 4Motion as well and there is no noise or rattles from mine . Defo worth a chat with him
Good Luck
A

IMG_0249.JPG
Took Deliver of the above van and decided to go for the top of the top level coil over kit all round, the van is a 4 motion

Knowing the kits are already a problem as you have to the correct kit for that van I made sure all the boxes were ticked and every thing was bound to be correct.

we proceeded in the installation and carried out the full install by the book, set them up and measured every thing after a good run.

Despite the above and despite having every tick in the box correct we have still ended up with problems.

The van now has a knocking noise as if the tailgate is not locked over bumps and its really getting under my skin, has any one else had this or seen this in the past and does any one actually know the answer.

Is it the Diff that does not like this or is it some thing else with the swinging arms or drive shafts.

Responses very welcome View attachment 13336 View attachment 13337

Further to my original posting regarding this noise I have now been able to get to the bottom of it and it actually the supplied rear shocks that are the issue

It's now on stock shocks and it's perfect, well I say perfect you know it's 70 mm lower as we get a tad wheel rub if its a big hard bump but with this kit it rides fantastic

The upgrade shocks are basically two short and they were bottoming out on exstend or rebound hence the noise

See photo attached

Look really good now ana know as " Chestnut Black"

No as they took them
Back and never returned
I have left stock ones on and all is fine

Not replacing them is pretty poor! Was that Bilstein themselves or the retailer?

I'm asking, as it sounds like I might have a similar issue.

BTW - Great looking Kombi !!

I wonder how many people have had issues with the bilstein shocks? I recently had issue after fitting brand b14 based shocks on rear, knocking like mad from both sides! Could hear it obviously from both sides when sat in the back. Checked everything was tight etc; still knocking! Swapped back to standard shocks and it was perfect.

Contacted bilstein who said they dont have any issues with them........Sent them back, was told nothing was wrong with them but they would rebuild them anyway?!?!?

Were spot on once rebuilt :thumbsup:

It seems this is the offender.

Pretty incredible that a £1200 suspension kit is so fragile, that it can’t be fitted and torqued up the way that normal suspension has been fitted for years including main dealers.

The mind boggles!

1FECFD73-0B6A-40A3-B711-18F84BBD3339.png

8163B726-8233-4FF7-9A02-A8D187C00A76.png

Last edited:

Responses very welcome View attachment 13336 View attachment 13337

We had this same problem a week ago, fitted some B14s to a new Sportline a knocking appeared, sounded like the tailgate... drove around with one of us in the back, appeared to be around the middle at the back...

Found it was the spare wheel in the hanger... and it looks exactly the same wheel as yours... put some foam ... stopped the noise

The issue is that you installed B14's and not a Seikel lift :laugh:

I hope you get it sorted with them returning the fixed Bilstein shocks, so you can install them back in the rear.

Put my standard shocks back on, much better but could do with a little more rebound damping - but the noise has gone and the ride is actually better.

There must be something wrong with the B14 units.

Dont forget there was an issue a couple months back with a faulty batch of bilstein rear dampers that were causing problems (knocking ?) i remember @BognorMotors mentioned having some issues with some, is it possible you have one of the faulty units ?

Just to let you know we had a faulty set of brand new B14 rear shocks on a T30 T6 last Friday, banging like the nuts were loose, just as well we had another set in stock...

I know there’s only one part number for the B14 rear springs - so same for T30 and T32.

I never locked into the shock part number. Perhaps they have different damping settings?

It’s a real shame that you can’t adjust the damping back or front.

I'm still getting knocking from front bilsteins if anyone has any ideas? I have had top mounts replaced just in case and wasn't them which is no surprise as they have only done 2.5k miles...
Can anyone post pic of front fitted without wheel so I can compare?

@Tony Smith did you get yours sorted and was it the bushes?
I have a knockev by that’s developed over the last couple of days from passenger rear that sounds like tailgate is open, if I get someone to stand in the back and bounce up and down I can definitely hear it from the suspension assembly at the rear
Can’t beleive these issues from the so called best set up..

It seems this is the offender.

Pretty incredible that a £1200 suspension kit is so fragile, that it can’t be fitted and torqued up the way that normal suspension has been fitted for years including main dealers.

The mind boggles!

View attachment 15846

View attachment 15847

Did you have this problem yourself? I have developed a rear knock and seems this may be the issue.. I have some 4K on them now so would of expected it to occur sooner really

Back