Bilstein B14 rear springs snapped.....Again!!

Tickz

CCTV Tech’
Hi All

i have a t6 t30 150 dsg highline kombi that i use for work. i had it lowered a using b14 kit, all professionally installed back in early 2018. In jan 2019 it was noticed that the rear springs had 'snapped'- lowest coil on the rears had snapped. I heard a big clunk after going over one of those little rubberised triangular speed bumps you get around (not at speed, im careful with those vicious little things). I had it diagnosed by the company that fitted them and ordered 2 rear springs (something like £250). This time the rears were raised by 10mm.
Now I have noticed that the rear left hand size has dropped and noticed a drop to the left, I've checked visually and it appears to have happened again.
It drives fine and there is no clunking or banging from it but obviously need to get sorted asap.
With regard to weight in the back, i dont believe its nowhere near capacity, i would estimate around 200 kilos or so i work in electronics my main toolbox is 40kgs and is by far the heaviest thing.
After the 1st break the company who fitted them contacted bilstein and asked if under warrantee etc, cant remember the details but they said no, so I just ordered a new set of rear springs and put it down to those bloody speedhumps-needed the van asap for work, basically sucked it up.
Now with it happening again, my question to you good people is..

Anyone have any similar issues? and any success for getting them replaced by bilstein??

And also can I replace the rear springs only with another brand?? (H&R,Eibach- I had 40mm lowering springs on my T5 before and had no such issues)

Thanks for taking time to read and thanks

I have hopefully attached a photo of the original pair of rear springs that you can see snapped on the lowest coil

IMG_1732.JPG

Sorry, as a more helpful suggestion, you should be able to get a replacement from Bilstein, but have you contacted the supplying/fitting centre that did the install for you? They should be able to get you a replacement and fit it for free.

Oli @BognorMotors is a Bilstein dealer and has had success with warranty claims in the past so I’m not sure why your original supplier had trouble doing the same.

Thanks chris, I have not contacted the installers yet, but they are reptuable dealers and installers (i wont name them because i believe their supply and installation was spot on). of course there is a certain amount of ambiguity on the weight im carrying or my driving etc so bilstien could say i was overweight . If memory serves basically this is what they said the 1st time. I just think that if I go that route they are going to say the same.

Thanks chris, I have not contacted the installers yet, but they are reptuable dealers and installers (i wont name them because i believe their supply and installation was spot on). of course there is a certain amount of ambiguity on the weight im carrying or my driving etc so bilstien could say i was overweight . If memory serves basically this is what they said the 1st time. I just think that if I go that route they are going to say the same.
Are you actually overweight though? The kit is sold as suitable for the T30, so as long as you aren’t exceeding the axle weights/total payload of a T30 then Bilstein have to honour the warranty. Worth getting it weighed on a weigh bridge so that you have the actual weight as evidence to support your claim.

Gizillion to install and then £250 to replace springs??? Why do it?

Are you actually overweight though? The kit is sold as suitable for the T30, so as long as you aren’t exceeding the axle weights/total payload of a T30 then Bilstein have to honour the warranty. Worth getting it weighed on a weigh bridge so that you have the actual weight as evidence to support your claim.

But isn’t the issue with the supplier, not Bilstein themselves?

For what it’s worth my T32 Bilstein kit has been spot on so far, 3 years old, 25k miles and often tows a 1900kg caravan.

Gizillion to install and then £250 to replace springs??? Why do it?
Why do it? Because a warranty is a warranty. I don’t know the explicit details of a Bilstein warranty because I don’t sell or fit their products, but if a customer came back to me within a warranty period on one of the products I do offer they would be getting a replacement.

But isn’t the issue with the supplier, not Bilstein themselves?

For what it’s worth my T32 Bilstein kit has been spot on so far, 3 years old, 25k miles and often tows a 1900kg caravan.
That’s got to be the starting point yes, but if the supplier/fitter has fitted the kit correctly the issue lies with the manufacturer. The supplier should be in touch with the manufacturer to sort the issue.

Why do it? Because a warranty is a warranty. I don’t know the explicit details of a Bilstein warranty because I don’t sell or fit their products, but if a customer came back to me within a warranty period on one of the products I do offer they would be getting a replacement.
Sorry, looks like some confusion. I questioned why degrade a van with an expensive suspension replacement which isn’t reliable or comfortable.

Sorry, looks like some confusion. I questioned why degrade a van with an expensive suspension replacement which isn’t reliable or comfortable.

But it is reliable, it’s by far the most commonly fitted coil-over kit, you rarely read about any issues unless badly fitted or the odd isolated instance.

Comfort is subjective, I find them pretty good, a compromise between comfort and handling.

The supplier should be in touch with the manufacturer to sort the issue.

Agree, but if Bilstein don’t play ball then the supplier should cover the cost of a spring, but not the fitting, unless they were fitted incorrectly.

Ah, yeah, very good point! Although at one time the B14 looked like a good option, things have moved on though.

Agree, but if Bilstein don’t play ball then the supplier should cover the cost of a spring, but not the fitting, unless they were fitted incorrectly.
I guess it depends on the supplier. No-one buying a kit from me would have to pay for a broken spring to be replaced. Why should the customer be expected to pay for anything due to a defective item?

I guess it depends on the supplier. No-one buying a kit from me would have to pay for a broken spring to be replaced. Why should the customer be expected to pay for anything due to a defective item?

Because if they were fitted correctly then why should the fitter be paying for fitting them again?

That’s great that you are offering to cover all costs, I’m sure your customers will love that level of service :cool:

Because if they were fitted correctly then why should the fitter be paying for fitting them again?

That’s great that you are offering to cover all costs, I’m sure your customers will love that level of service :cool:
Another very good point, the fitter shouldn’t have to, Bilstein should. As I say though, I don’t know the terms of their warranty to understand what is and isn’t covered.

Reactions: JOG
We could debate that at length, but this isn’t the thread to do that.

Well I wasn’t the one ‘knocking’ them, 100’s of vans, if not 1000’s have them fitted and they are still a good option for an off the shelf solution.

Back