T6 2018 4 motion Bilstein B14 Coil Over Noise (Rear Rattle)

I don't think that this is actually the issue. Although its what the Bilstein techs suggested initially.

I removed my B14 shocks and there is little damping on the rebound. i.e. if you compress the shock by hand. It fires straight back like a spring - really fast, and 'tops out' with a clunk.

I've worked on Bike suspension (motor and pedal) and this doesn't make sense to me, as the rebound damping should be there to control the decompression on the spring, while compressing by hand on a bench is another magnitude to control the rebound of a 2 Tonne Van. It shouldn't be 'topping out'. I have done the same as you - stood in the back and jumped up and down and it clunks when it bounces back.

The standard shocks have more rebound, but not enough to control the stiffer springs. So better but certainly not ideal. If you compress the std rear shock you have to pull it apart again - which leads me to think that my B14 shocks had a problem with the rebound damping.

I have to assume that as so many other people swear by the B14s that I have a duff set. But I would recommend to anyone who's thinking about B14s to ride in a Van with them fitted before you commit. £1K+ is a big investment to get wrong.

I don't think that this is actually the issue. Although its what the Bilstein techs suggested initially.

I removed my B14 shocks and there is little damping on the rebound. i.e. if you compress the shock by hand. It fires straight back like a spring - really fast, and 'tops out' with a clunk.

I've worked on Bike suspension (motor and pedal) and this doesn't make sense to me, as the rebound damping should be there to control the decompression on the spring, while compressing by hand on a bench is another magnitude to control the rebound of a 2 Tonne Van. It shouldn't be 'topping out'. I have done the same as you - stood in the back and jumped up and down and it clunks when it bounces back.

The standard shocks have more rebound, but not enough to control the stiffer springs. So better but certainly not ideal. If you compress the std rear shock you have to pull it apart again - which leads me to think that my B14 shocks had a problem with the rebound damping.

I have to assume that as so many other people swear by the B14s that I have a duff set. But I would recommend to anyone who's thinking about B14s to ride in a Van with them fitted before you commit. £1K+ is a big investment to get wrong.

I can't believe I have these issues, I've had a front knocking and spent on new top mounts to the tune of £300 fitted and still there sometimes.
Now to have this on the rear, I fell like I've just had enough with the van.. wish I never bothered.

Where about are you? Pretty sure Absolute or Bognor would take a look and just charge you for the diagnosis time.

Reactions: Kev
We came across this issue very issue the other week, fitted some on a T6 and was knocking terribly, check everything twice over, removed the spare wheel tray as have had this banging before,

Then refitted the old shocks, all quiet..

Just as well we had another set in stock, The rear shocks in this kit had the last number different on them and apparently it’s the width of the rear bush insert.. fitted them and bingo all quiet..

We came across this issue very issue the other week, fitted some on a T6 and was knocking terribly, check everything twice over, removed the spare wheel tray as have had this banging before,

Then refitted the old shocks, all quiet..

Just as well we had another set in stock, The rear shocks in this kit had the last number different on them and apparently it’s the width of the rear bush insert.. fitted them and bingo all quiet..

Thanks, I’m baffled that after 4K miles it started and was all quiet before. Just been out again and it’s getting worse quickly. Only started to notice it today and now sounds like the back end is about to fall off. When I had the issue with the front bilstein sent me one bush for the rear. Would you suggest I try swapping this? I’m not sure why they didn’t send me two though so I had one for each side.

Here’s a picture of what Bikstein claim to be the problem. I find it hard to believe as once the bush is torqued in place it shouldn’t move and the indentations from the spot welds will further stop the bush from moving.

AC19F9C8-2553-40CF-A961-F61A2029904C.jpeg

So I’m sat waiting for a space on the ramps, but at the moment it seems like there is no bolt on the top of the shocker so it’s rattling against the body

Fingers crossed that’s all and thankfully if it is I didn’t come to any harm whilst driving it.

So I’m sat waiting for a space on the ramps, but at the moment it seems like there is no bolt on the top of the shocker so it’s rattling against the body

Fingers crossed that’s all and thankfully if it is I didn’t come to any harm whilst driving it.

goodluck mate, I feel your pain

Where you having it looked at? I contacted TransporterHQ who fitted mine and they told me to go to someone who does some mechanic work for them. They reckoned there was nothing wrong with the B14’s and it was top mounts. They greased them and said give it a try. The knocking has not gone away. Problem is i’m loathed to try replacing everything that could be a possibility as that’ll get expensive. Wondering if Bilstein in Leicester can help?

I've spoken to Bilstein Tech Centre (BTC) a few times now, they are reluctant to give information, but say that there is a tech bulletin out with retailers that covers the knocking. They say it's bad manufacturing on VWs part - nothing wrong with their shocks.

Having swapped the shocks and seen the tiny indentations I still find it hard to believe that this is the cause. I'd be delighted to be wrong, and have a clunk free van!

Where you having it looked at? I contacted TransporterHQ who fitted mine and they told me to go to someone who does some mechanic work for them. They reckoned there was nothing wrong with the B14’s and it was top mounts. They greased them and said give it a try. The knocking has not gone away. Problem is i’m loathed to try replacing everything that could be a possibility as that’ll get expensive. Wondering if Bilstein in Leicester can help?

I went to bvr automotive in Stoke, not far from me which is lucky! This knocking was from the rear Daveyb which was unusual as all my knocking is from the front. It started yesterday and this morning sounded like the back end was about to fall off, wasn't far wrong as the upper bolt in the passenger side rear was missing! As in the shock was no longer attached to the body of the van..must of been working its way loose for a while, but didn't notice any noise maybe because my tools rattle round in the back. Very lucky not to of had a very serious accident, but also lucky it was a £20 fix for this one
I have spoken to bilstein regarding the front knocking and they are adamant it's not there stuff, tbh they are not too helpful and I suggested I bring it to Leicester, they said they don't work on any customers vans, but could get someone to drive it round the car park. Very helpful thanks..
is your front knocking there all the time? Mine seems better in warmer weather, but always there just sometimes it's terrible and sometimes not so bad. I had the top mounts changed with brand new and all copper greased, this cost me £300ish from bvr and its was a complete waste of money, to tbf dave who owns it went out in it and would of swore it was top mounts, but couldn't guarantee it..
ps I have top mounts for sale hardly used

I've spoken to Bilstein Tech Centre (BTC) a few times now, they are reluctant to give information, but say that there is a tech bulletin out with retailers that covers the knocking. They say it's bad manufacturing on VWs part - nothing wrong with their shocks.

Having swapped the shocks and seen the tiny indentations I still find it hard to believe that this is the cause. I'd be delighted to be wrong, and have a clunk free van!

Be interested to see the tech bulletin, someone on here who fits them could surely get hold of it? @BognorMotors mayb others anyone else can tag in?

Speak to Oli at Bognor Motors rather than a lot of people, they fit 2 - 4 sets a week, plus H&R’s ARB’s so I would think they would know about these problems more than most people !

I’m away from the office at present so I haven’t got direct access to the details.

We’ve had a couple of issues, and have one currently outstanding with Bilstein. We’ve been supplied new rear shocks in the previous ones, which have a different part number and have cured the noise. Happy to take a look at this one.

We haven’t seen a technical bulletin - Sorry

I’m away from the office at present so I haven’t got direct access to the details.

We’ve had a couple of issues, and have one currently outstanding with Bilstein. We’ve been supplied new rear shocks in the previous ones, which have a different part number and have cured the noise. Happy to take a look at this one.

We haven’t seen a technical bulletin - Sorry
Be really interested if you can do some digging to see what is occurring. @BognorMotors

I went to bvr automotive in Stoke, not far from me which is lucky! This knocking was from the rear Daveyb which was unusual as all my knocking is from the front. It started yesterday and this morning sounded like the back end was about to fall off, wasn't far wrong as the upper bolt in the passenger side rear was missing! As in the shock was no longer attached to the body of the van..must of been working its way loose for a while, but didn't notice any noise maybe because my tools rattle round in the back. Very lucky not to of had a very serious accident, but also lucky it was a £20 fix for this one
I have spoken to bilstein regarding the front knocking and they are adamant it's not there stuff, tbh they are not too helpful and I suggested I bring it to Leicester, they said they don't work on any customers vans, but could get someone to drive it round the car park. Very helpful thanks..
is your front knocking there all the time? Mine seems better in warmer weather, but always there just sometimes it's terrible and sometimes not so bad. I had the top mounts changed with brand new and all copper greased, this cost me £300ish from bvr and its was a complete waste of money, to tbf dave who owns it went out in it and would of swore it was top mounts, but couldn't guarantee it..
ps I have top mounts for sale hardly used
My clunking is front off-side. Only tend to hear it on slow speed manoeuvres both forwards and reverse. Makes hell of a racket.

Be really interested if you can do some digging to see what is occurring. @BognorMotors

My clunking is front off-side. Only tend to hear it on slow speed manoeuvres both forwards and reverse. Makes hell of a racket.

Sounds exactly same as mine, mostly when parking etc.. noting during normal driving.

Back