T6 2018 4 motion Bilstein B14 Coil Over Noise (Rear Rattle)

I’m away from the office at present so I haven’t got direct access to the details.

We’ve had a couple of issues, and have one currently outstanding with Bilstein. We’ve been supplied new rear shocks in the previous ones, which have a different part number and have cured the noise. Happy to take a look at this one.

We haven’t seen a technical bulletin - Sorry

Sorry Oli

The upshot is that lots but not every one says a 4 motion can not be lowered

But it can how ever DO NOT TRY THE SHOCKS KEEP THE ORIGINAL SHOCKS ON THE REAR

The shocks that come in the kit are to short hence the knocking that goes on as they ride on the internal long reach bump stops

Mine is 100% perfect once I put stock shocks back on

Had B14s and ARBs fitted to my 204 dsg 4motion six months ago by @BognorMotors they discovered a rattle and wouldn't release my van until they sorted it. They sorted it and I've never heard a rattle. They did have to put some considerable effort into resolving it though.

As far as we are concerned, the rattle is down to a faulty batch of rear shocks, we’ve had replacements for any issues we’ve had, and the recent ones we’ve had, we had zero issues. Have you been in touch with Bilstein Tony?

I’ve had B14’s fitted last week to my T32 4-Mo, not collected it yet, but the conversion guys haven’t mentioned anything about knocking.

reading this against a pair I've bought second hand off a forum member, and he had no problems. THQ have said that no one could find the problem with the knocking, however they did, and its to do with a changeover in age of van, to age of bilsteins. theres small weld type dimples on the chassis of the van where the rear dampers connect too... and these dimples cause the knocking. Bilstein have since brought out a revised version of the "top bushing/balljoint thingy" to the damper, which is thinner, allowing no contact, meaning no knocking. THQ would grind down these dimples and treat the metal work accordingly, this sorted the problems they had. IM HOPING this will be me on friday, when i ask the garage to shave down the dimples when they align it.

We found the problem, and worked very hard with Bilstein on it, although they would never admit it. It was all to do with a batch of faulty rear shock absorbers. These have all been replaced and superceeded now with no further issues.

reading this against a pair I've bought second hand off a forum member, and he had no problems. THQ have said that no one could find the problem with the knocking, however they did, and its to do with a changeover in age of van, to age of bilsteins. theres small weld type dimples on the chassis of the van where the rear dampers connect too... and these dimples cause the knocking. Bilstein have since brought out a revised version of the "top bushing/balljoint thingy" to the damper, which is thinner, allowing no contact, meaning no knocking. THQ would grind down these dimples and treat the metal work accordingly, this sorted the problems they had. IM HOPING this will be me on friday, when i ask the garage to shave down the dimples when they align it.

We had this issue when the T6 first came out and we fitted b14s

We were about the first to report this and it is the dimples which was causing the shock not being tightened enough, eventually they sorted it, and it had smaller metal part of the bush in the rear shock..

So my problem may not be this? 17plate T32, with b14s, that have a date of 2016 on the springs?

And previous owner said they were fine for him! Which I believe as he’s a member of the forum

(It could be the fact I’ve fitted them myself and made a doodoo... but we shall find that out on Friday? Just want to point my local tuning garage in the right direction that’s all...

It only affected the T32. And if everything is tight, speak to Bilstein you should be able to buy, fairly inexpensively, a pair of rear shocks - we can supply them
Via mail
Order if necessary.

Are you near to us, so we can take a look?

Last edited:
It only affected the T32. And if everything is tight, speak to Bilstein you should be able to buy, fairly inexpensive let, a pair of rear shocks - we can supply them
Via mail
Order if necessary.

Are you near to us, so we can take a look?

Im 5hours north of you. As for buying new shocks, i dont wish too, as i have just bought some !!!! and if they were fine on the previous owners t32, then mine should be ok too!

If only it could be so simple as to ascertain why so many people running B14’s get knocking on the front end! Took mine back to THQ, got fobbed off to a different company who they claim they now sub that work out to, who then equally fobbed me off saying nothing wrong and greased the top mounts to try and eliminate any noise. Still does it a year plus later, just have to ignore it as I have neither the time or money to replace component after component to finally find which piece is at fault.

Gents, the only advice I can give is that on the rear the bolts are stretch bolts and should be replaced and torqued to the correct settings

There available from VW and arnt that expensive

My b14’s are knocking on rear. They have been doing it for a while but only now been able to get in the back of the van and get the Mrs to drive. The knock is coming through the floor on the near side directly above the suspension.

The faulty batch of shocks, do they have any numbers which I can look for?
I don’t know for curtain if it is the shock but reading all problems on here it might well be.
Once Christmas is out the way I’ll try putting the stock shocks back on and give it a try

Back