T6.1 with leaking sliding-windows

Sara
there are various fixes on t'internet, which look straightforward. However, as mine has a garage warranty, they can have a go..
Mine's so bad, I taped the window gap up in one of the very brief stops in the rain yesterday... and now had a dehumidifier running in the back!
Next on the list of accessories.. a bilge pump

Hi I have had this since March been back twice to have it fixed but made it worse then last week they put complete new windows in guess what still leak it cheap nasty design it has a c rubber behind glass which holds water then slowly leaks inside don’t no what next I think not fit for purpose money back please

They fixed it, and it didnt leak in the rain... then we had a bit of a downpour and it leaked again.. although to their credit.. much less ..
I think they just cleaned all the seals etc... Its going in again and they are going to fit some parts..

I just realised that I keep putting two or three full stops instead of proper punctuation. How annoying is that?

I’d take it back, after they say it’s fixed get them to show you how good it is by spraying a hose directly on the window. If it leaks then it’s not fixed.
Otherwise VW will piss you about until you give up hope and get the silicone gun out.

What I've understood the seal isn't sealing it well enough to not let water in, and the drain get easily blocked in the runner and leak inside the vehicle? I bet either one of these could be easily fixed, if VW put their minds into it. Im going to retrofit the oem sliding window to my t6.1 once it arrives, as I've seen multiple threads where they have stopped the leaking, one way or another. As mine will be retrofit I think i can easily improve atleast the drainage problem before fitting. The sealing problem could be fixed by making the sliding part push harder/properly against the seal.

I talked with my local dealer, who isn't very helpful trying to find parts numbers for retrofits etc, but did get a hold of a mechanic who said adjusting the position by fixing the guide pins works 99 times out of 100. I think what he meant is this, and by the looks of the comments other have successfully fixed the problem.

Also, im gonna leave this link here if you want to look into things yourself.

Reactions: DXX
Informative video which is new information to me. I think we can all accept a bit of wear and tear and deal with it, however It doesn‘t explain how the new vans still have leaking windows and get through quality control.

The newer VW sliders have a metal locating pin.

The video shown above is of the older type that had a plastic one. (which wears more easily).

If the pin wears less, being metal, can only hope the channel the pin runs in doesn't wear, which might be a more expensive fix down the line?

If the pin wears less, being metal, can only hope the channel the pin runs in doesn't wear, which might be a more expensive fix down the line?

Any wear to the channel will be throughout a much larger area than wear to a plastic pin.

I would suggest any wear to the channel would be minimal, and kept to a minimum with regular cleaning/maintenance.

Design flaw? Maybe the locating pins aren't pushing the window against the seal hard enough, or the channel is shaped so that it creates the same effect. That might be a compromise for smoother and lighter operation.

Has anyone had any luck repairing their window or even better getting VW to fix this issue? I've just noticed one of mine is leaking. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately the problem is just physics. The seals will always leak unless they are cleaned regularly so water will get in. It can only drain if the vehicle is parked nose down. To clean out the drain holes and get the crud off the seals you will need to remove the sliding glass. This takes a leap of faith but is relatively simple once you have removed the bottom plastic trim. Take great care!!!! With the glass removed you will be able to see all of the drainage slots, there are more than you think. Use a cable tie to clean them out. When we first had our van the dealer tried to fix the problem but initially failed. Then they replaced the window. Each time they loaned us a brand new van, both of which had leaking windows!!!!

Take it to the dealers and insist both are swapped. These new ones will also leak eventually, but it will cost VW, and maybe just maybe they will take note and do something about it for the T7.......but probably not, as long as we queue up to buy them. Come on Mercedes, make a LWB combi with a 1 tonne pay load, and I'll order one tomorrow.

I'm waiting for mine to go back to have the window leaks fixed .. again
The garage are trying their best (not VW) and are liaising with VW on the 'recommended fix'
I think cutting them out and fitting aftermarket ones might work... :)

I think you’re right, probably the only way to get a guaranteed permanent fix.
Mine seem to be holding up at the moment after I cleaned the rubber seals and treated them with Gummi Pflege.
You shouldn’t have to keep doing that though and if mine start leaking again I will be seriously considering getting them replaced with non openers.

I'm waiting for mine to go back to have the window leaks fixed .. again
The garage are trying their best (not VW) and are liaising with VW on the 'recommended fix'

If you do have the originals taken out, is there any chance you could keep hold of them for me to have a look at?.

If you do have the originals taken out, is there any chance you could keep hold of them for me to have a look at?.
Early days for that but will bear it in mind

By the way.. great video.. those lil slot holes .. I didn't even know they were there... and the first I tried appears to be bunged up with silicone, and putting water on the length of the window, it does seem to disappear and not run along anywhere

Not sure it can be pushed out.. will try tomorrow with tyraps or denture sticks maybe

Last edited:
Took mine in the other day to VW but they're waiting on replacement parts apparently. assuming they mean new windows. they said they were fitted badly in the first place...who knows?! could take a few weeks to come into stock. Lets see! It's annoying because I can't carry on with my mods until its sorted.

Back