T6.1 Sliding window leak

Split66

Is anyone else having major issues with water ingress on the T6.1 sliding windows?

2nd units fitted in summer but they failed as soon as the first rain hit them. Been battling VW customer care ever since to rectify..

Well done VW. Truly remarkable engineering.

B2E05172-612D-4CF2-803C-C294FB0D1484.png

C00B0882-6A7F-440E-992F-C46F7456179C.png

FDF1FA21-ACEC-40A5-8294-57905A3160D6.png

2C5AA646-8D64-4389-8434-F8EB8F7265B6.jpeg

Search with ‘sliding window’, it’s been an ongoing issue for decades.
There are ways to improve matters and with some care they can be sealed. It’s all well documented, just a case of reading through.

@Ali-G I'm thinking about replacing my leaking kombi windows with the THQ flush sliders, is there much difference in the size of the aperture window compared to the genuine kombi ones?

Thanks for the suggestions. Will certainly be looking at aftermarket alternatives and will be mentioning that as an option to VW if the current units are deemed unfit for purpose, although at the moment I believe they will only offer OEM replacements.

From what it looks like at the moment, the water is coming in through the window opening where the rubber seal compression is inadequate and instead of running to the drainage channels, the water is travelling along the small groove where the rail bonds to the main glass.
If it wasn’t a warranty job I’d be running a bead of sealant here to see if that solves the issue.

The THQ windows do look like a good option.
Overall I’m really happy with the van and will look forward to converting the interior once this is sorted.

There is a sliding door seal leak too, but I can live with that - doesn’t happen all that often.

The easiest solution is put silicone grease on the rubber seal all the way round. It is doable with a cotton bud with the last bit that hides behind the fixed pane needing a longer cotton bud. I have found that this is the cheapest solution. Re-apply as needed if you use the window a lot which I do as my dog likes to stick his nose out of that window. Just did mine a couple of days ago again, 1st time for over a year. Be generous with the grease and it repels the water very well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will certainly be looking at aftermarket alternatives and will be mentioning that as an option to VW if the current units are deemed unfit for purpose, although at the moment I believe they will only offer OEM replacements.

From what it looks like at the moment, the water is coming in through the window opening where the rubber seal compression is inadequate and instead of running to the drainage channels, the water is travelling along the small groove where the rail bonds to the main glass.
If it wasn’t a warranty job I’d be running a bead of sealant here to see if that solves the issue.

The THQ windows do look like a good option.
Overall I’m really happy with the van and will look forward to converting the interior once this is sorted.

There is a sliding door seal leak too, but I can live with that - doesn’t happen all that often.

Be aware that most good converters will completely remove the windows from the body to get a neat carpet lining.
Fitting a replacement window to then remove it again will be an additional cost.

The easiest solution is put silicone grease on the rubber seal all the way round. It is doable with a cotton bud with the last bit that hides behind the fixed pane needing a longer cotton bud. I have found that this is the cheapest solution. Re-apply as needed if you use the window a lot which I do as my dog likes to stick his nose out of that window. Just did mine a couple of days ago again, 1st time for over a year. Be generous with the grease and it repels the water very well.
Will give that a go, thanks.

If you are pursuing a warranty claim and you do anything that’s not in the recommended maintenance you are jeopardising your chances of success.
I would keep on VWs back and not give up, be a total PITA and record all communication.

If you are pursuing a warranty claim and you do anything that’s not in the recommended maintenance you are jeopardising your chances of success.
I would keep on VWs back and not give up, be a total PITA and record all communication.
Good point. Will hold out on trying any fixes myself for the time being.
It’s been 10 months since the issue was first raised. All communication is now through VWUK ‘customer care’ who are coordinating this issue with various dealerships.

VW will just replace like for like and they too will leak.
I could cure my leak by applying Gummi Pflege to the seals but after a few months they started leaking again. In the end I got fed up with lubricating the seals and just went for the THQ windows.

@Ali-G I'm thinking about replacing my leaking kombi windows with the THQ flush sliders, is there much difference in the size of the aperture window compared to the genuine kombi ones?

They are slightly smaller but not a massive amount.
I think someone has measured them in another thread but I'll measure mine tomorrow and report back.

The good thing about the silicone grease is it very good at repelling water whereas the rubber conditioners are more geared to suppleness. You wouldn't be able to use the silicone grease on door seals due to contact with clothing/dogs/whatever but on these windows it is out of contacting zones.

I'll measure mine tomorrow and report back.

@Garyde sorry, forgot all about it, they are approximately 14” tall and 13” wide.
I don’t know how this compares to the OEM windows as I didn’t measure them before they were removed.

Back