T6.1 with leaking sliding-windows

Hi all

Had both my sliding windows on my 6.1 replaced under warranty last week. Still got a lot of water coming in today. Is there any fix to this?

thanks

Mike

4CA3224A-1E9A-45B2-8EA9-7689A93463B2.jpeg

5F858FBE-1AD6-4B94-902C-F59227215E51.jpeg

Well....no. I can find a few theories online but no-one seems to have nailed it, least of all VW

Did they replaced the whole unit? One of mine did leak and after getting vw to water test on a ramp to mimic a slope, they finally spotted the leak and replaced the whole unit including glass. It’s been ok since, although I’m not confident it won’t happen again. Very bad design.

My T6.1 driver side sliding rear window leaked after only 3 months from new, took to dealer, warranty swap on slider unit was done, and fixed.... until this weekend and just 3 more months and it’s leaking again!!! Urghhhh. Booked to the dealer again. Another two days without a van.

Attachments

• 06603318-DEA8-440E-BC16-AA2352258724.jpeg
    06603318-DEA8-440E-BC16-AA2352258724.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 28
Why two days? Even changing the whole window should be a few hours allowing the bonding to set. Any way you should be entitled to a courtesy vehicle equivalent to yours.

Reactions: DXX
They swapped the whole window on mine and haven't had any issues since. I'd ask for full replacement.

Where I got my van lined etc, they has a new Kombi in with fixed windows on both sides, so it can be done..
My windows have an opening window with built in flyscreen now on the cooking side, and its stood in some torrential rain with no leaks. Then again, its not a vw window ...

Where I got my van lined etc, they has a new Kombi in with fixed windows on both sides, so it can be done..
Useful to know. My advice to anyone ordering a Kombi would be to spec it with fixed windows. We had our VW Kombi (leaking!) sliders removed and replaced with fixed glass. We no longer have a leaking van. Had we known this at time of ordering, we'd have spec'd fixed glass.

Agreed with the above. Although you can’t spec fixed windows from factory in the kombi - you can on shuttle and Caravelle which I find odd.

I got mine replaced with new sliders and it hasn’t leaked since, not ideal if you’re out of warranty though.

If your 6.1 new style sliders are leaking, can you pinpoint from where the water gets in?

A sales person nearby said that its all about how 'even' the window sits. If one corner has more sealant and the window is twisted a bit, then then seal might let something in. Mine haven't leaked yet, opening the window every now and then and using some rubber conditioner might keep you from troubles. Also make sure the drains are actually free to flow. Also having the vehicle in sort of incline one way or another might also twist the body of the van and the window just enough to let some water seep in. Also in this case if the van isn't on flat ground the water might slide off the slider not to the drainage channel.

I actually had an OEM sliding window retrofitted to my van, i liked the operation and look of it much better, and i believe if it's gonna start to leak it's gonna be 100% from the seal between the slider and main window. Either the seal is not holding up, due to age and fatigue, or the pressure keeping it pushed against the main window is not enough, both of which i think i could fix. They had fixed one sliding window nearby by installing a small extra seal to main window push against the sliders seal. These are definitely not maintenance free option to have in a van.

Just thinking back to my T5 Kombi purchased in 2005, and I don't ever remember a problem with the windows leaking. Hmmmmm. Leaky window guy was probably still at school.

Useful to know. My advice to anyone ordering a Kombi would be to spec it with fixed windows. We had our VW Kombi (leaking!) sliders removed and replaced with fixed glass. We no longer have a leaking van. Had we known this at time of ordering, we'd have spec'd fixed glass.

Agreed with the above. Although you can’t spec fixed windows from factory in the kombi - you can on shuttle and Caravelle which I find odd.

I'm a week into T6.1 ownership, and guess what?...

Without getting too ranty - WTF? I've done some research into this issue over the last few days, and it seems that it's a country mile from being uncommon (since 2003 - really VW - not enough time to sort this out yet?). It also seems that that there's not yet a useful 'hack' fix for the 6.1. I've done the obligatory syringe drainage hole check, and yep, they all work, but on the nearside sliding window, something's still not doing what it should and I'm getting a 'dribble'. So either the window wasn't fitted correctly in the factory (possible), and/or it's just a clusterf*7ck of bad design (probably a combination of both, with the weight of blame on the latter).

While it's only a 'dribble', a dribble over time makes for a massive headache - and as I've already had the interior sound deadened, thermally insulated, carpet trimmed and 'suede' paneled, I'm pretty keen for this progress not to be ruined.

My interim solution is just to pad the leak point with a microfibre towel (see pic below), but from what I can glean, m'options are:

Window wad.jpg

1. Just live with it like a numpty. Not happening (# 1 isn't an option).

2. Take it back to VW for a warranty claim, get the window replaced for another one with the same cr@p design/cr@p fitting - then have the same problem in 3,6,9 months time and then re-run the fun (# 2 is also a properly rubbish option in my mind).

3. Get the factory rear sliding windows replaced, at my expense, with after-market rear sliding windows (Camper Glass/Transporter HQ are due to be imminently releasing their own new flush sliders, and I'm very sure they'll have done their research/product testing to the best standard possible, but the whole rear sliding window design is basically flawed, so with the best of intentions, they might be p!55ing into the wind.

4. Flip the middle finger to VW, be a trail-blazer, and start a new trend of fixed windows (no sliders) in rear Kombi doors (again at my own expense, again possibly with THQ, but happy to hear other recco's). Currently my preferred option. My brain can't find more logic than this option offers.

With option 4, as I'm pretty new to Transporter ownership, do people actually ever use the sliding windows in the rear?! I can't envisage a situation where I'd need to open the rear sliders while on the move (it's got air-con), and if static (and if more air is needed), um, couldn't I just open the rear door?

Give me a reason to consider keeping sliders, or I think I'm going # 4...

Oli - @BognorMotors - any luck with this issue yet pal? Suspect you're cursing VW with this one also...

(BTW - loving the T6.1 otherwise, a most excellent van, just wish it was watertight ;)).

• Sad
Reactions: CAB

Without getting too ranty - WTF? I've done some research into this issue over the last few days, and it seems that it's a country mile from being uncommon (since 2003 - really VW - not enough time to sort this out yet?). It also seems that that there's not yet a useful 'hack' fix for the 6.1. I've done the obligatory syringe drainage hole check, and yep, they all work, but on the nearside sliding window, something's still not doing what it should and I'm getting a 'dribble'. So either the window wasn't fitted correctly in the factory (possible), and/or it's just a clusterf*7ck of bad design (probably a combination of both, with the weight of blame on the latter).

While it's only a 'dribble', a dribble over time makes for a massive headache - and as I've already had the interior sound deadened, thermally insulated, carpet trimmed and 'suede' paneled, I'm pretty keen for this progress not to be ruined.

My interim solution is just to pad the leak point with a microfibre towel (see pic below), but from what I can glean, m'options are:

View attachment 135293

2. Take it back to VW for a warranty claim, get the window replaced for another one with the same cr@p design/cr@p fitting - then have the same problem in 3,6,9 months time and then re-run the fun (# 2 is also a properly rubbish option in my mind).

3. Get the factory rear sliding windows replaced, at my expense, with after-market rear sliding windows (Camper Glass/Transporter HQ are due to be imminently releasing their own new flush sliders, and I'm very sure they'll have done their research/product testing to the best standard possible, but the whole rear sliding window design is basically flawed, so with the best of intentions, they might be p!55ing into the wind.

4. Flip the middle finger to VW, be a trail-blazer, and start a new trend of fixed windows (no sliders) in rear Kombi doors (again at my own expense, again possibly with THQ, but happy to hear other recco's). Currently my preferred option. My brain can't find more logic than this option offers.

With option 4, as I'm pretty new to Transporter ownership, do people actually ever use the sliding windows in the rear?! I can't envisage a situation where I'd need to open the rear sliders while on the move (it's got air-con), and if static (and if more air is needed), um, couldn't I just open the rear door?

Oli - @BognorMotors - any luck with this issue yet pal? Suspect you're cursing VW with this one also...

(BTW - loving the T6.1 otherwise, a most excellent van, just wish it was watertight ;)).
I’d be taking it straight back again. Before you accept the repair get a hose pipe on the window, the sort of thing the dealer should have done before releasing it to you.
If customers keep accepting it VW will keep doing it, they can afford to be arrogant as people are queueing up to pay huge deposits for a van that’s not built and no firm delivery date.
Like some kind of religious cult!

View attachment 135293

I had this same issue with my brand new 6.1... Windows were leaking for a year.
VW refused to replace them and said they were fine as they couldn’t replicate it. Even though I had photo and video evidence!
Whilst working in Belfast over the summer I finally got a VW dealer to agree to replace one window and I paid for the other. It’s the best I could get and needed it watertight before my interior mods could be done - which is next week by the way ;)
The dealership said they’ve seen it loads and said it was bad fitting in the factory. They said it wasn’t the slider, just bad fitting. The water wasn’t coming in via the sliding mechanism.
They said they always use a really good independent window fitter and they’ve never had a customer return once they’ve been refitted. Mine have been perfect (fingers crossed!) ever since.
And yes, the rear sliders do get used in the summer. The air con is crap and takes ages to reach the rear passengers. Wish it had rear vents. Maybe something can be retro fitted???
Personally I would hate to replace them for fixed glass.
Not sure if that’s of any help mate?! Glad you’re enjoying it other than that.
I’ve just had ARBS fitted so I’m over the moon again! :)

Back