T6.1 with leaking sliding-windows

Just for clarity, I've just checked with the most excellent dealers who supplied our T6 (from new), that being West Yorks Van Centre. I'm told that it IS possible to spec a Kombi with fixed glass. This is also what the converters told me some months ago when they were replacing our leaky sliders.

As to actually using the sliders, we never did. Perhaps if ye had passengers in the rear, the airflow might be nice. We seldom have rear seat passengers, and on the few occasions we have had folk on the rear seat, no complaints have ever been raised. We thought having the slider on the hob side would be useful for cooking, but in reality we used it once and now just open the poptop windows.

We considered after-market ones, but were keen to guarantee exact fit and appearance. Which is what we got with the windows we had fitted.

Hi Everyone I've just ordered my new 6.1 Kombi and confirm that you can spec fixed windows in the passenger area, which I have done having read through pages and pages on the forum with peoples windows leaking. But if you want glass in the load area ( which I did ) you have to have sliding windows in the passenger area. :mad:

Hi Everyone I've just ordered my new 6.1 Kombi and confirm that you can spec fixed windows in the passenger area, which I have done having read through pages and pages on the forum with peoples windows leaking. But if you want glass in the load area ( which I did ) you have to have sliding windows in the passenger area. :mad:
Weird! I suppose you could just get the rearmost windows fitted afterwards, having got the van with fixed glass.

Just been contacted by the dealer, who have sent me a video stating that the newer windows have a better seal and not as prone to leaking, can anyone confirm this ?

Just been contacted by the dealer, who have sent me a video stating that the newer windows have a better seal and not as prone to leaking, can anyone confirm this ?
Sounds as if they still haven't been brave enough to admit it's not the seal that is at fault but the drain channel below the bottom part of the slider.

Sounds as if they still haven't been brave enough to admit it's not the seal that is at fault but the drain channel below the bottom part of the slider.

Surely if the seal did it's job it doesn't need a drain underneath? :)

Surely if the seal did it's job it doesn't need a drain underneath? :)
Seals will never be perfect during their life, al you need is a hair or something that small in the seal area to let a small amount of wet in. Opening and closing with normal traffic dirt on the window will always create the chance of some contamination on the seal.
As far as I'm aware all of this type of window have a drain system to account for the above situation.

Hi everyone. So my new started leaking on the slide window after about 2 months of owning it. I took it back to VW and they water tested and agreed it was leaking and so fitted a new unit on warranty. Guess what. The new unit leaks even worse after 2 weeks. I’ve contacted VW and they have booked it in for another water test and probably another new window. Oh, the other one is leaking now. I will let you all know how I get on.

Hi everyone. So my new started leaking on the slide window after about 2 months of owning it. I took it back to VW and they water tested and agreed it was leaking and so fitted a new unit on warranty. Guess what. The new unit leaks even worse after 2 weeks. I’ve contacted VW and they have booked it in for another water test and probably another new window. Oh, the other one is leaking now. I will let you all know how I get on.
Joined the club then?

Hi guys. So I’ve just been back to VW for the water test and they have confirmed that both are leaking. Again! I asked for both opening rear windows to be replaced with sealed units so they wouldn’t leak and VW refused to do this as the warranty part has to be like for like even though a sealed unit is probably cheaper. I then asked what happens when my warranty runs out and the last window they fitted leaks. Reply was ‘ it’s then my problem’. Unbelievable. They were well aware the side opening windows leak and said they had replaced hundreds at my branch. They also said there’s no point escalating the matter as the result would be ‘ fit a new part in warranty’
As a result my van is booked into for another couple of windows. If these leak I’m getting some after market ones fitted.
Absolutely disgusting VW!

Hi guys. So I’ve just been back to VW for the water test and they have confirmed that both are leaking. Again! I asked for both opening rear windows to be replaced with sealed units so they wouldn’t leak and VW refused to do this as the warranty part has to be like for like even though a sealed unit is probably cheaper. I then asked what happens when my warranty runs out and the last window they fitted leaks. Reply was ‘ it’s then my problem’. Unbelievable. They were well aware the side opening windows leak and said they had replaced hundreds at my branch. They also said there’s no point escalating the matter as the result would be ‘ fit a new part in warranty’
As a result my van is booked into for another couple of windows. If these leak I’m getting some after market ones fitted.

What a joke, they simply don't care about having a happy customer and rather keep going round in circles replacing under warranty... they probably make a bit of money off that too

Why dont you offer to buy the non opening windiws on condition they fit them abd give you the sliders to sell on eBay?

So guess what? The third set are leaking even worse! I’ve totally given up now. I’ve ordered 2 fixed units off Cornwall Van Windows. £370 fitted. Done. Washing my hands with VW.

So guess what? The third set are leaking even worse! I’ve totally given up now. I’ve ordered 2 fixed units off Cornwall Van Windows. £370 fitted. Done. Washing my hands with VW.
I’m waiting to have my second replacement done on the same side under warranty.The warranty expired 2 weeks after it was ordered but I was told vw would honour it even out of warranty if it happened again but I’m sceptical on that.
If it leaks again I will do what I did last time.I will just open the windows put glazing silicon all round and then close it.

I’m waiting to have my second replacement done on the same side under warranty.The warranty expired 2 weeks after it was ordered but I was told vw would honour it even out of warranty if it happened again but I’m sceptical on that.
If it leaks again I will do what I did last time.I will just open the windows put glazing silicon all round and then close it.
Let me know how this window holds up. Good luck.

The sliding windows are perfect and always have been ever since 2003 when the T5 was launched.

BUT

The drainage system from the lower runner us crap!

I retrofitted OEM sliding window a year ago even though I was adviced not to. Year into owning it, i have cleaned the seal once and applied rubber restorer to it. I also cleaned the window where the seal contacts, cleaned the drains by poking a ziptie through the holes. Zero leaks even if using direct water pressure on the seal from a moderate distance away (worse than falling rain water + wind). Prior to the install, i made sure the installer understood not to block the drains, and put some silicome around the drains under the channel, then a line of silicone to the runner where it meets the window. If any water was to leak, its gonna go down the drain. I guess preventative maintenance works, like in any case.

Back