T6.1 with leaking sliding-windows

I retrofitted OEM sliding window a year ago even though I was adviced not to. Year into owning it, i have cleaned the seal once and applied rubber restorer to it. I also cleaned the window where the seal contacts, cleaned the drains by poking a ziptie through the holes. Zero leaks even if using direct water pressure on the seal from a moderate distance away (worse than falling rain water + wind). Prior to the install, i made sure the installer understood not to block the drains, and put some silicome around the drains under the channel, then a line of silicone to the runner where it meets the window. If any water was to leak, its gonna go down the drain. I guess preventative maintenance works, like in any case.
You are absolutely right but beware of poking anything into the drains as it's easy to un-attach the two parts of the drain channel.
It's perhaps a pity if you had the OEM windows available to you before fitting that you didn't look underneath the lower slide and run a bead of adhesive around the join in the drain plastic.

By the way, I love your two little quotes in your signature. I don' think either would work but always worth a try.

You are absolutely right but beware of poking anything into the drains as it's easy to un-attach the two parts of the drain channel.
It's perhaps a pity if you had the OEM windows available to you before fitting that you didn't look underneath the lower slide and run a bead of adhesive around the join in the drain plastic.

By the way, I love your two little quotes in your signature. I don' think either would work but always worth a try.
I actually did put some silicone-adhesive type mass around the drains underneath where the top funnel and the drain itself join. Im just really bad at expressing myself in english. I did everything in my power to prevent any leaks beforehand, i watched multiple threads and videos from youtube prior ordering the window, and fixed every known problem there is that are fixable. I wanted a sliding window, and aesthetically speaking the oem window was the only one for me. It has a bad reputation, but upon reading testimonies about people having them for years with no leaks, this convinced me there are units that are not acting up, and gave me enough courage to try it first. It was not cheap, but with the biggest flush type window there is, this was the way to go for me. This is also with the never style pinch latch system.

I did a test today, upon washing the van, i purposefully blasted with a pressure washer full blast like 25cm away, spraying on the window 90° and 45° on the seal/gap between the sliding window and the stationary one. Not a single drop of water inside after the wash. This is on level ground though, maybe if the vehicle twists on uneven ground it might be different. Might have to test this too.

Hi there

Need to go look in person at weekend, but are the T6.1 rear Kombi windows better than the leaky ones i had in my T5 (rusted out and replaced) and same type also in the T6 variant?
How are they holding up / performing thus far?

Thanks!
northy

Hi there

Need to go look in person at weekend, but are the T6.1 rear Kombi windows better than the leaky ones i had in my T5 (rusted out and replaced) and same type also in the T6 variant?
How are they holding up / performing thus far?

Thanks!
northy
The rubber seal has altered and the mechanism but still no remedy! Poor really!! Just had a brand new T6.1 Kombi in for conversion and had to give an annoyed customer a phone call... Replaced with privacy tint aftermarket glass, much better :D

I have posted a warning on the T6 General chat section about the leaking windows . The visible water on the inside of the van although a major irritant is not THE major problem . What you can't see is the corrosion to the back of the bottom slider rail that is hidden . The outcome of this is that tha slider rail 'drops' and the the slider window falls out completely . This has just happened on my 2016 T6 Kombi nearly decapitating my wife who was luckily in the centre back seat . You can read the full details and pictures on the other thread . We will be looking at our legal rights and position over this .

Hi everyone. So my new started leaking on the slide window after about 2 months of owning it. I took it back to VW and they water tested and agreed it was leaking and so fitted a new unit on warranty. Guess what. The new unit leaks even worse after 2 weeks. I’ve contacted VW and they have booked it in for another water test and probably another new window. Oh, the other one is leaking now. I will let you all know how I get on.
Afternoon Rossco666 - did VW replace the entire window unit ie. the fixed glass piece AND the slider window or did they replace JUST the slider window ?

I’m waiting to have my second replacement done on the same side under warranty.The warranty expired 2 weeks after it was ordered but I was told vw would honour it even out of warranty if it happened again but I’m sceptical on that.
If it leaks again I will do what I did last time.I will just open the windows put glazing silicon all round and then close it.
Afternoon mitchv60 - did VW replace the entire window unit ie. the fixed glass piece AND the slider window or did they replace JUST the slider window ?

BubbleMan's reply is spot on. You have to ensure the two long drainage slots and the circular hole is clear and water passes through them freely.
To get at the slots it's best to remove the glass that opens (be very careful but brave). With the glass out clean the seals with soapy water.
Also try to park your van nose down as the drainage system will not work properly unless you do (water does not travel uphill).
Most people won't open these windows at all due to this issue that has been around since T5. Very few converters risk fitting OEM sliders. Hope this helps, good luck.

I think VW should be held to account for their useless rear sliding window design in their T6 and it appears from reading this thread the T6.1, it's simply unacceptable!
Sadly I have a leaking offside window in my T6 and thought if I need to replace it whether I could replace it with the newer T6.1 (thinking it must be better).
VW should at the very least come up with a reliable retrofit replacement window that doesn't leak or cost the earth, any ideas how we can get VW to do this? (we can all dream).
I say shame on VW for giving us this substandard design.

Back