T6.1 Retrofit Heated Windscreen??

BennyLove

T6 Pro
Hey all,
I'm annoyed at myself that I forgot to spec the heated windscreen in my new van.
The only thing is, I notice that the windscreen itself has the heating element running through it.
Is it a big job for someone to fit the relay and switch on the dash? Or is there a lot more to it than that when it comes to making sure it plays nice with the existing system elect

I will help you with coding :whistle:.
Thank Robert! I'm going to read your post in more detail now. I'm not mechanically minded really, but my father in law is. Do you think it's a job for a skilled amateur, or would you say it's more for a professional... especially in a new van?

Thank Robert! I'm going to read your post in more detail now. I'm not mechanically minded really, but my father in law is. Do you think it's a job for a skilled amateur, or would you say it's more for a professional... especially in a new van?
T6 or T6.1?

Reactions: mmi
Are you sure it's got the elements already in the screen, surely VW wouldn't do that if its not actually wired up?? and if they are, are you sure you just haven't found the button? Is the van a highline?

Are you sure it's got the elements already in the screen, surely VW wouldn't do that if its not actually wired up?? and if they are, are you sure you just haven't found the button? Is the van a highline?

I'm certain the element is in the windscreen. It's visible to the naked eye.
Van is a highline, but in Ireland the heated windscreen isn't standard. Although we get the LED lights as standard, we don't get the heated windscreen or the Auto Cruise as standard.
There's definitely no button for the windscreen. In fact I'd say I'm pathetically short on buttons lol

IMG_1369.jpeg

How odd, lucky sods on the standard LED's though! I would think if the element is there it wouldn't be too much bother to get things working, will probably come down to how 'OEM' you want the install as to the level of complexity, however on the specifics of 'how to' I'm afraid this is where I bow out and leave you in the capable hands of @Robert .

How odd, lucky sods on the standard LED's though! I would think if the element is there it wouldn't be too much bother to get things working, will probably come down to how 'OEM' you want the install as to the level of complexity, however on the specifics of 'how to' I'm afraid this is where I bow out and leave you in the capable hands of @Robert .
Yeah I'm not sure why they would put the heated windscreen in unless it's all they had to hand, or maybe they do the English and Irish highlines at the same time and all they do is omit some final electrics to delete the heated windscreen?
I'd just like a button that I could press and the windscreen would heat up haha
So long as the van doesn't burn to the ground I'd be happy. It could void the warranty though retrofitting something like that?

May be worth upgrading to VIP membership, loads of wiring diagrams etc for your perusal. Could point you in the right direction?

I'm certain the element is in the windscreen. It's visible to the naked eye.
Van is a highline, but in Ireland the heated windscreen isn't standard. Although we get the LED lights as standard, we don't get the heated windscreen or the Auto Cruise as standard.
There's definitely no button for the windscreen. In fact I'd say I'm pathetically short on buttons lol

View attachment 106303
Have you got a photo showing the buttons just to the right of this pic? There is another block of 6. The heated screen button should be in those.

Robert, isn't that just for blowing hot air up onto the windscreen?
Maybe it's a combination of blowing hot air up there and switching on the heat?
I was convinced I was looking for a separate button on the dash.... and no I have nothing to the right of the steering wheel .... it's just blank.

I think Robert photos are for the front screen button to the right of the heater direction dial, rather than the dial itself.

Good news and bad news.
Good news is, I do in-fact have a functioning heated windscreen.
Bad new is, I'm an absolute idiot!!!
I apologise.
I have no idea how I didn't see it.....
I hope people see the funny side :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Screenshot 2021-03-03 at 21.20.34.png

Back