Following windscreen replacement, radio and windscreen heating not working

Bav

Explore, discover, enjoy, repeat...
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Recently had the windscreen replaced on my MY23 Highline Kombi-based camper. During replacement, the rubber wind-deflector for my Hilo Sport pop-top (which is stuck along the top edge of the windscreen) was removed, so I have refrained from using the van until I could arrange for a new one to be fitted.

Today I drove over to Jaibow (Holmfirth) to get the deflector replaced. All went as expected, but driving back I noticed that the radio wasn't working (no stations showing for DAB or for FM) and the heated windscreen function was inoperative (switches off almost immediately after being switched on).

When I got home I checked and, yes, the new screen does have a heating element (phew! - that was my first concern), but am I right in thinking that this is no coincidence and that the windscreen company have not re-connected (or inadvertently disconnected) these functions when they fitted my new screen? Presuming this is the case, how easy are these functions to reconnect - is it a simple DIY job or will I need to return to the windscreen company to resolve, and, if the latter, will the new screen need removing (along with the new deflector I've just paid to have fitted :mad:)?

TIA

PS - The new screen is OEM if that has any bearing on things.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
I need to replace mine it’s mot friendly as it’s high up on passenger side but annoys me and can’t be repaired and this is what’s putting me off! Are they ever the same once replaced!!

The screen powers and ground wires are in the scuttle panel at the bottom of then screen. As assumeding they not been connected or connected wrong.... (See if you can get a pic of the connections)

Radio antennas are in side mirrors, so shouldn't be effected by a screen replacement.....

Tried a rescan?

If you like I can take a look tomorrow and bring my VCDS to scan for errors?

• Love
Reactions: Bav
I need to replace mine it’s mot friendly as it’s high up on passenger side but annoys me and can’t be repaired and this is what’s putting me off!
I was told "not repairable and could crack if left", hence getting it replaced. Mind you, it was the windscreen company that told me this. :rolleyes:
Are they ever the same once replaced!!
I damned-well hope so! :(

The screen powers and ground wires are in the scuttle panel at the bottom of then screen. As assumeding they not been connected or connected wrong.... (See if you can get a pic of the connections)
Will get some pics in the morning. :thumbsup:

Radio antennas are in side mirrors, so shouldn't be effected by a screen replacement.....
Mine came with a shark-fin aerial mounted on the roof. It was moved due to fitting the Hilo (not sure where to, mind) but thought the wiring might still run around windscreen... perhaps, maybe, possibly(?) :confused:

Tried a rescan?
No, but that reminds me that I got a "low battery" alert (via the Meta-Trak app) whilst they were replacing the screen. The silly sod had left ignition on with lights and heater on high throughout the process. It started okay afterwards, but I wonder if that has anything to do with any of this(?) :oops:

Maybe they run the battery flat and messed up the radio?.

Try a rescan first and see what comes back.

Or a radio reset.... (Was push and hold the volume knob till you get the boot screen on the T6)

So, checked this morning and the radio is now working fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's somewhat disconcerting when an unexplained issue rectifies "all by itself", but it's one less thing to worry about, so I'll take that as a small win.

So, checked this morning and the radio is now working fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's somewhat disconcerting when an unexplained issue rectifies "all by itself", but it's one less thing to worry about, so I'll take that as a small win.
Maybe you was on a duff signal area..?

Or the radio was rescanning after the flat battery.

Hmmm, well, this is highly embarrassing - following a visit from Jon (@Skyliner33) it turns out the heated windscreen issue was operator error. :whistle:

My touchscreen shows a "Heated Windscreen" icon on the Vehicle screen and I was pressing this to activate heating. The icon momentarily changes colour (as if indicating 'heating on') and then reverts to its original colour (as if indicating 'heating off') - hence my assumption it wasn't working. It was only when Jon asked "does the physical button work?" that I realised such a button even existed! o_O How did I not know this? :oops:

In my [feeble] defence, the physical button is tucked away behind the steering wheel and, from my normal driving position, is obscured by the light-stalk, only visible when I lean across towards the passenger seat.

Needless to say, the physical button worked, though the fact that it also causes the touchscreen icon to change colour forms part of the case for the defence... m'lud.

Oddly, there's no such icon on Jon's infotainment system. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmmm, well, this is highly embarrassing - following a visit from Jon (@Skyliner33) it turns out the heated windscreen issue was operator error. :whistle:

My touchscreen shows a "Heated Windscreen" icon on the Vehicle screen and I was pressing this to activate heating. The icon momentarily changes colour (as if indicating 'heating on') and then reverts to its original colour (as if indicating 'heating off') - hence my assumption it wasn't working. It was only when Jon asked "does the physical button work?" that I realised such a button even existed! o_O How did I not know this? :oops:

In my [feeble] defence, the physical button is tucked away behind the steering wheel and, from my normal driving position, is obscured by the light-stalk, only visible when I lean across towards the passenger seat.

Needless to say, the physical button worked, though the fact that it also causes the touchscreen icon to change colour forms part of the case for the defence... m'lud.

Oddly, there's no such icon on Jon's infotainment system. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I see you spilled the beans.
After swearing me to secrecy :whistle:
At least we know its working now :thumbsup:

I've not forgotten about your scans, but need to find a usb drive to get them off my laptop.

• Haha
Well done on manning up and admitting to your fluff up.

A firm case of RTFM.

(ReadTheFlippinManual)

:mexican wave:

Last edited:
Trouble is that 350 out of those 500 pages apply to my van but I don't know which 350 pages. Looking for buttons or items hidden deep in menus that may or may not exist. For some reason on other peoples' vehicles I can spot functions that they didn't know they had. I've got a blind spot with this one.

Trouble is that 350 out of those 500 pages apply to my van but I don't know which 350 pages. Looking for buttons or items hidden deep in menus that may or may not exist. For some reason on other peoples' vehicles I can spot functions that they didn't know they had. I've got a blind spot with this one.
There is something called an Index at the back of the manual, just do you dont have to read all the pages, it will tell you, for example, that page 117 is all you need to read to find how the heated windscreen is switched on. HTH ;)

Back