Infotainment issues - Primary user & Android Auto

aidanhudd1878

VIP Member
Hello people,

Just recently bought my 2020 startline T6.1 and I'll be looking to get it to a level of going camping in it which I am very excited!

Annoyingly I have encountered an issue with my head unit and the Android auto system. The issues are...

1) having no sound whilst playing music through android auto, which I have found out is a known problem from a few years ago. I've seen that there is an update to the infotainment system and that I would need to contact my local VW dealer to sort it out. I know there are other threads on this issue, but this is what I do not understand...

I have gone and booked myself in at my closest VW garage, but they told me straight away on the phone after giving my vehicle details that there is no update available on their system, how could this be? Everyone seems so confident that it is a simple update to fix this that VW have put out themselves a few years ago. And currently I'm going to have to pay a minimum of £81 for 30mins labour for someone to have a go playing music in the van to prove it doesn't work correctly and then them tell me what they already know, that they don't have an update? Is there any more information on this I can provide my local VW garage?

2) I cannot change the privacy settings on my head unit so I am unable to change any settings. The unit is set to 'Maximum Privacy' which basically means nothing is able to be changed. There is no section for me to connect the unit to the internet via a mobile hotspot and no section for me to change a user and become the 'primary user'. I have no idea how to unlock the system from this maximum privacy, the privacy settings section itself once clicked states it is 'unavailable'.

Very frustrating!

Any further info would be absolutely great.

Thank you!

Aidan

20231105_204701.jpg

20231106_173355.jpg

I’ve had similar issues. Have you tried this. At the very top edge of the touch screen there is a white line. Pull it down and that will reveal the privacy settings which you should be able to adjust. If that doesn’t work then disconnect the main battery for 20 - 30 minutes and the system should reset. I’ve had to do this several times and it worked for me. After kicking off big time I’m now booked in for a new infotainment system under warranty.

I’ve had similar issues. Have you tried this. At the very top edge of the touch screen there is a white line. Pull it down and that will reveal the privacy settings which you should be able to adjust. If that doesn’t work then disconnect the main battery for 20 - 30 minutes and the system should reset. I’ve had to do this several times and it worked for me. After kicking off big time I’m now booked in for a new infotainment system under warranty.
21 plate 4motion, about to have my second replacement. As I was in the garage, another chap was waiting .... Same issue.

Issue resolved!

I had contacted vw customer services, they asked me to send photos of the unit and the sos unit, they noticed there was no light on my sos unit, which meant a trip to my local vw garage.

They replaced my faulty sos unit (Unit + fitting 100% covered on goodwill, which is great!), which is also connected to the infotainment system.

With the new sos unit fitted they then performed a software update on my infotainment system which has resolved the android auto playing music issue and the unit also connects properly to the vw satellite system Which shares.my location and is no longer stuck in the 'maximum privacy' setting, full access to the infotainment system.

The update cost me £81 which was for 30 mins labour.

Good news, sounds like the actual root cause was a faulty LTE/4G modem meaning neither the SOS or the infotainment system had any connectivity.

Forcing the maximum privacy is logical (as that's all it can do) but you'd think at some point adding a message as to why that's all it could do wouldn't have been too hard?

Was the vehicle still under warranty?
It wasn't mate no, the van is 2020 so outside of that now. when they told me the issue in the garage I nearly fell off my chair because they said it would cost nearly £1000 to replace the sos unit (going off memory, could have been just over £1k).

I only went there as I wanted a software update to listen to music whilst driving with android auto, so imagine my shock as I thought all sorts of shit had hit the fan

but they then came back to me 10 mins later and said they will actually cover it 100% good will, thankfully. I assume they did that as is it is a safety item and was only a few months out of warranty at the time.

Fair play then :) This is a very well known issue on lots of the VW range so at least they are not trying to charge for a known defect. My van will be out of warranty in March so I plan to take out the full 2 year extended VW warranty. It appears that electrical gremlins now outstrip mechanical issues. So much to go wrong !!

Can anyone help with becoming primary user on the stereo system. I've downloaded the My Vw app and can't seem to complete the set up due to the app saying I need to switch on the online mode to complete set up. I've connected it to my phone and my home WiFi without success. Any suggestions to sort this are welcome.
Cheers

Can anyone help with becoming primary user on the stereo system. I've downloaded the My Vw app and can't seem to complete the set up due to the app saying I need to switch on the online mode to complete set up. I've connected it to my phone and my home WiFi without success. Any suggestions to sort this are welcome.
Cheers
Not 100% sure but the 'online mode' I think is referring to the head unit settings and it being connected via its internal satellite connection (then to the VW system), not via your mobile and then your mobiles internet connection.

there will be a globe towards the top of your screen and it will either be lit up and connected, or dull and not connected (to the VW satelite/connection system)

It's 4G/LTE not satellite(1), but it's allowed to use higher power and crosses several networks so generally has better connectivity than your phone.

(1) Mind you the cost of Cubic Telecom data you might think it was...

Check the privacy settings on the head unit, it may be talking about access from the van side not the app side.
Thanks Roadtripper, I may be missing something but I can't find the privacy settings anywhere, could you message me a way to get to them please.

Ignition on? Touch the head symbol top left. Mine is brighter than your pic which would suggest not active. If it becomes active when you touch it you can see the privacy settings. The more to the right the more privacy. Do you have any other issues with the infotainment system?

Thanks Robert,
Ignition is on. I touch the head symbol on the left and the drop down says unable to connect to user profile.
Occasionally I have a connection problem with android auto, but if I restart the engine it connects.

Is it worth trying a reset on the infotainment system?

When you got the vehicle was the primary user cleared, or are you trying to replace a primary user that isn't someone you know?

Also is there any evidence of the the 4G/LTE modem working?

Do you have the correct lights on the SOS module overhead? If you go into the settings can you get to things like the shop or data plans?

Reason I ask is there is a smattering of folks having issues with the SOS module or modem.

Also is there any evidence of the the 4G/LTE modem working?

Do you have the correct lights on the SOS module overhead? If you go into the settings can you get to things like the shop or data plans?

Reason I ask is there is a smattering of folks having issues with the SOS module or modem.
Yes exactly this. Make sure green light is on the SOS panel above head first which will confirm there is a connection from the unit itself.

That was my original issue that was identified with this post.

Back