T6.1 OEM LED Headlight retrofit

T6.1 OEM LED headlamps use 6 pin connectors and are controlled via CAN by the BCM.
The wires are:
CAN H, CAN L, GND, PERMANENT 12V and LOW BEAM.

And T6.1 OEM H7 setup uses 10 pin connectors and headlamps are fed by direct connection to the BCM(no CAN).
This is similar to T6 H7 setup but with some differences. T6 H7 setup uses 5 light bulbs per headlamp and T6.1 only 3!
The wires are:
GND x 2, IGNITION 12V, MANUAL RANGE CONTROL, LOW BEAM, HIGH BEAM, FLASHER, SIDE/DRL.

T6.1 front OEM LEDs appear under VCDS as two independent controllers.

---------------------------------------------

Address D6: Light Ctrl Left 2 (A31)
Part No SW: 992 941 571 AA
HW: 992 941 571 A
Component: LED1L H08 9002

Address D7: Light Ctrl Right 2 (A27)
Part No SW: 992 941 571 AA
HW: 992 941 571 A
Component: LED1R H08 9002

There is no coding on these and no coding on the BCM. Any modifications need to be done via BCM adaptations, retrofitting included.

Not researched anything to do with the 6.1 yet as I don’t have one, did a scan on one just to see if it was much different. As you have noted it is very different. I see they are also using a new module to make it easier for vehicle converters to integrate with the factory electrics, again not looking into the details as no need for me at the moment.

Has anyone had the LED lights retrofitted too their T6.1 yet?

Hazzydayz have said that it's possible. Just checking if anyone has encountered any issues with this?

I see the complaints regarding the poor visibility from the standard headlights and think it’s poor from VW not to fit LED as standard. That said it’s been a well known issue (search the forum) and for me when I ordered my T6.1 my first add-on was the LED lights and I know they are not cheap but the Transporters are not cheap.
Regarding retrospective fitting of led lights to the T6.1 and the new electrical systems I’m sure it will be available but these things take time although I think there are some out here already.

Had a T6 without the LED, dangerous in the dark, changed to THQ and to be honest they were aesthetic only, no great difference at night, T6.1 ordered and first tick was LED front & rear

Am I being silly to worry about the T6.1 LED lights when they break? The H7 bulbs can be easily replaced.

Am I being silly to worry about the T6.1 LED lights when they break? The H7 bulbs can be easily replaced.
Chances for your LED modules(light source) failure are marginal.
Expected lifetime of these is the same as the whole vehicle.

The only thing that could potentially fail are LED power modules
but these can be bought relatively cheap and are easy to replace.

Another words DON'T worry and enjoy your LED lights :thumbsup:.
Factory OEM setup should last for good.

T6.1 halogen headlamps with H7 bulbs are rubbish same as T6!

Hmm maybe I‘ll see if my dealer can give me a good price for the LED upgrade! I was thinking of just using the THQ LED H7 bulbs - so much cheaper and seems easy to install myself. Has anyone here tried them?

Hmm maybe I‘ll see if my dealer can give me a good price for the LED upgrade! I was thinking of just using the THQ LED H7 bulbs - so much cheaper and seems easy to install myself. Has anyone here tried them?
Sorry, I have assumed incorrectly that you own a T6.1 with OEM LED headlamps.
I will be very surprised if your dealer will actually attempts such a retrofit/upgrade.
THQ LED H7 bulbs - no comments.

Reactions: mmi
Sorry, I have assumed incorrectly that you have T6.1 with OEM LED headlamps.
I will be very surprised if your dealer will actually attempt such a retrofit/upgrade.
THQ LED H7 bulbs - no comments.

Sorry I wasn’t very clear - I’ve basically got a T6.1 being built right now and I didn’t opt for the LED lamps (so expensive). I was thinking of trying (1) brighter H7 lamps like the OSRAM Night Breaker or (2) THQ LED H7 bulbs

Sorry I wasn’t very clear - I’ve basically got a T6.1 being built right now and I didn’t opt for the LED lamps (so expensive). I was thinking of trying (1) brighter H7 lamps like the OSRAM Night Breaker or (2) THQ LED H7 bulbs
Waste of time in my opinion.
The only option I would consider in your scenario(saving money)
is to go for after-market LED projectors.
Have a look at my Passat below.

Transporter HQ have an aftermarket T6.1 headlight coming out later this year and if their T6 ones are anything to go by, it will be a very good quality upgrade with LED bulbs.
Hi mate, are they brighter than the standard H7 the T6.1 come with? Or more for colour/aesthetic?

Hi mate, are they brighter than the standard H7 the T6.1 come with? Or more for colour/aesthetic?

The LED bulb upgrades on the T6 lights are 100% better and brighter than The factory halogen offerings.

Reactions: dj_
The LED bulb upgrades on the T6 lights are 100% better and brighter than The factory halogen offerings.
Hi again, just to clarify - are you referring to the H7 LED bulb itself, or the whole headlamp assembly/fixture replacement?

IM referring to the THq headlights and bulb upgrades - But the LED bulbs can be used in other headlights

Back