Bi-Xenon or LED Projector retrofit

@stevep360 , He is still going, but he has not long had another child so is working less at the moment. The best thing to do is message him (Trups) on either facebook or instagram.
Hope this helps.

I had mine done around 2 years ago, I have had a couple of issues but he is good to his word and fixes and issues you may have.

I had them done a couple of months ago, did have an issue with one of the bulbs (manufacturing defect) and a new one was sent out straight away.

Replacing the Halogen H4 bulbs to LED's (info).
LED bulbs are decent for upgrading the poor dull headlight bulbs VW supply. (I've seen the installation).
LED bulbs in the headlight unit are quite easy to change... but not the main beam ones its a task and a half.
The DRL's and the sidelights are easy to change just a simple replace nothing is unusual.
The main beam H4's are not easy to replace and the ballast box (which is needed) has nowhere to go if your lucky
you can jam it into the unit and seal everything back up. To fully stop the ballast from rattling round
you will have to do micro surgery and stuff it into an impossible space drill holes, use silicone cable ties etc etc
to make sure the unit is sealed from the elements - or alternitavely some people with no brain cells just botch a big hole
into the big seal/cover and concede to having wet lights with the condensation because they cant stand the amount of brain
power it takes to come up with a viable solution.

Overall its a very stressful job that takes about a day you need 2 people.
If you've never done it before its just ridiculous how annoying it is.
Anybody who says its plug and play is a moron I'm a decent joiner and it was not fun in any way shape or form.
Wish i never decided to change em over for a pal but to get it done at a shop would cost about allot i imagine because of labour.

Haven't had a chance to properly see the effect they will have on his van but on first analysis the change is like night and day.
Perfection looked like turning on a nice HD screen or something like that nice full soft white light.
(The twenty 20 impact H4's) just fitted into headlight capsule by the skin of they're teeth during my friends install with a push.
with the ballast box issue having nowhere to sit as stated before. (box is really slim and short on 20 20's.) In reality they don't fit
but a few hours later and a missed meal got sorted in the end.

If your handy with tools and feel comfortable doing tricky and i mean tricky stressful jobs that you haven't ever done before
then go for it id say because the change is spot on by my eye and my friend had a few near misses in the dark before with the
poor standard of halogen bulb that came with van.

Bear in mind you have to hold the lights and could damage the paint on bumper etc etc also its not a fun game like they make out
on the adverts for all the upgraded parts online. Get a set of plastic trim tools as well save yourself some blood sweat and tears.

For anybody who is thinking about led's then don't go for anything else. LED's are very very substantial in my opinion......!
At the end of the day when your on those night time adventures in the forest/on the coast or wherever you find
yourself the van won't struggle and let you down once you've sorted the problem out so personally i think its worth it might do
it on my own van but don't want to think about dong it any time soon once is enough. Haha - really its not that bad but just an
honest review of the whole situation having just done a pair with a friend on his.

He used.
Twenty 20 impact H4's - Which have a little tiny slim ballast box with them.
382 Twenty20 Elegance Canbus LED Bulb - Daytime running lights.
501 Twenty20 C3 Canbus LED's (White) - sidelights.
I saw brighter options online but after seeing in person any brighter would definitely be too bright.

I'm not trying to promote this brand in any form to road users, i couldn't care less what other people choose
to buy or do with their own personal property and i am not responsible for it either.

Hope this helps explain the situation in best way possible and my personal advice also is if your doing it do em all
at once. The indicator isn't important to change in my opinion and the ones under the wing mirrors match so cant tell being
amber anyway.

Anyway good look to anyone reading this who plans on going ahead hopefully it helps to summon up some zen,
You will need it.

Hi,
I am new to this forum.

I have a 2019 T6 with standard H4 halogen reflector lights. They are dreadful!

Has anybody fitted H4 Bi-Xenon HID bulbs? if so what was your experience?
for example these H4 HIDS4U HID Xenon Conversion Kits. I am thinking about the 55W version, which suggest a 400% increase. Though they say 35W gives a 300% increase in output. Both sound amazing... They seem to be CANbus compatible too. It sounds too good to be true..
Thats because is it is too good to be true HID's are no good to anyone.

Mates

A chum of mine has just put some retrofitlabs.com Bi-Xenons into his 996.2;

This seems to be a very popular upgrade in 911 circles. Their kit is mega. Unbolt the back of the existing reflector, with the H4 mount, bolt in their projector assembly and D2S lamp, mount the ballast, and away you go. All the pork people love them.

They do list a T5.1 kit, and they seem to have developed a sort of universal D2S holder and projector assembly that bolts into a H4 fitting;

The only spicy bit seems to be opening the headlamp assembly..... at gas mark 6!;

I can't see whey these wouldn't fit the T6, to replace the H4 lamp, especially as in the description they mention T4s. The only downside I guess, is if the D2S lamp ever needs replacing. Oh, and the slightly Max Power chrome bezels around the projector.

Any opinions/experience ?!

Mods; I have no commercial or other relationship with retrofit labs. I just need some community reassurance before I hit the buy button. Especially as the Transporter kits are more expensive than the Porsche ones........

Last edited:
The issue that I can see with putting these into H4 headlights is that there is no separate main beam to flash when the headlights are off. It may be different with DS2 bulbs, but generally aftermarket HIDs don't give fully brightness as soon as they are turned on. Fine when dipped beam is on, as main beam is provided by means of a shutter. It may be that the DS2 being more of an OEM type bulb will give a fully power flash?

Another consideration is flickering and warning lights. A few of us found some aftermarket HIDs didn't get on with the T6 electrics. This may or not be the same with the DS2 application. The kit that does work, and that I have in my T6 is in the link below.

I fitted this set up into an Astra Van, along with LED bulbs for the original main beams and they are stunning.

I'm considering seeing if I can swap the projectors out of my THQ V1 headlights for them.

@dubber36 id be interested to see if you can. I've the thq v2 and the 35w hid kit based on your advice and they are very good but i would like to go brighter with no issues if at all possible?.

Picture taken from between two vans, both the same distance from the wall.

Left hand side are Bi Xenon Projectors fitted as an upgrade to the H4's on the right hand side are factory LEDs.

View attachment 56094
Thanks a million for the inspiration :thumbsup: !

I was fed up with poor light output of my headlamps on my Passat so I decided to preform some inexpensive experimenting.

I bought this pair of LED lens projectors.
Well invested £125.99 = €140.28 :cool:

Once received, I have performed few bench tests and confirmed power output to be bang on 35W!
Interestingly output light brightness does NOT change when supply voltage is within (11.5V - 14.4V)
Independently driven shutter gives the whole setup nice addition.
I am amazed with value for money (BCR)!
I have no idea how reliable they are going to be though but so far so good.
These projectors provide some serious light output.
I am genuinely impressed!

I was too concentrated to get it done and I didn't take any photos during conversion process.
It was my first time opening the headlamp but patience and a lot of heat gun led me to success.
Then a bit of disassembling of internal components and happiness when I got my projectors fitted
and successfully resealed my headlamps with multi-purpose clear silicone!

I think if I knew this before I have done my T6 LED retrofit, I would reconsider the whole thing.

€140 doesn't equal €1400 :eek:

But anyways, no regrets :cool:.
Experience is experience, worth every penny ;)

@Robert the light source is actually LED on these rather than HID then?

Out of interest do you have any pictures taken to show how you have the module mounted ie. back of the module through the original lamp mounting hole?

Can't help thinking people might not be giving their old H4 headlight enclosures away so quickly if they read this thread, well done.

Yes these projectors are pure LED and not HID.

Shame on me for not taking any photos during conversion process.

These are the photos provided by seller.

Screenshot_20201115-141126_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201115-125444_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201115-140844_Chrome.jpg

My Passat headlamps original setup was as follows, on the outer sides - low beam H7 with reflector & lens
on the inner sides - high beam H7 with reflector
Obviously I have equipped my high beams with H7 type LED "bulbs". This was almost plug & play.

On the low beam side of the job I have stripped original lenses and its supporting brackets and simply inserted my new LED projectors through the bulb hole into reflector and then secured it with provided butterfly nut. A bit of challenge was alignment. Basically trying on the vehicle to make sure that light range is going to be as it should and also to verify that cutoff line is perfectly horizontal/level.

Power modules are small and everything found its place inside of the headlamps.
Effectively there is no indication of any modification by looking at the headlamps just light output catches attention :cool:.

Reactions: mmi
And eventually my poor attempt to compare my two different retrofits. The background is not the best for proper judgement.

RHS of the photo
OEM LED headlamps on VW T6
vs.
LHS of the photo
Aftermarket LED projectors in H7 headlamps on VW Passat.

Low beam.
20201114_223813.jpg

High beam.
20201114_224011.jpg

You shouldn't post pictures like this Robert as you could kill the aftermarket T6 LED lookalike market overnight!:sneaky:

@Robert I'm looking to do this with a pair of H7 T6 headlights. Trying to work out what bulb combination I need, including the DRL bulb colour temperature and the sidelight bulb. May as well get led indicator bulbs too, I guess, while I have it on the bench. Any ideas? Here are the reflectors and bulbs up close...

Inner:
PXL_20210111_202307684.jpg

Outer:
PXL_20210111_202410697.jpg

Outer bulbs: (anti-clockwise from top; sidelight, DRL, H7) looks like this for the DRL OSRAM 7905CW-02B LED Premium Retrofit: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike and this for the sidelight: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0088XET0S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_Acm.FbB2PAJ1V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
PXL_20210111_202539071.jpg

Indicator:
PXL_20210111_202705509.jpg

Last edited:
I am very familiar with these lamps cause I had them as a factory fit.
I like your plan very much so.
I would put LED projectors (with shutter) in the outer reflectors.
Then any quality H7 LED bulbs for the inner ones.
The rest of bulbs LED as well.

Edit:
My favourite colour temperature is anything from 5000 K up to 6000 K :cool:.

I got my w5w sidelight bulbs from Halfords of all places, corn cob style they were about £16, 4000k in colour so white rather than bluey white and eye wateringly bright.
If you're putting LED indicator bulbs in there can be an issue with rapid flashing so not worth the extra potential hassle.
I like the idea of Roberts LED projectors as the projector module will always give a more precise beam cut off however two pairs of LED lamps will probably work out slightly cheaper and if you're not confident opening and resealing the headlight shells will be a bit easier than performing the surgery required... obviously get decent lamps not just the most expensive as there often seems little correlation between price and lumen output reading the various adverts online.

I got my w5w sidelight bulbs from Halfords of all places, corn cob style they were about £16, 4000k in colour so white rather than bluey white and eye wateringly bright.
If you're putting LED indicator bulbs in there can be an issue with rapid flashing so not worth the extra potential hassle.
I like the idea of Roberts LED projectors as the projector module will always give a more precise beam cut off however two pairs of LED lamps will probably work out slightly cheaper and if you're not confident opening and resealing the headlight shells will be a bit easier than performing the surgery required... obviously get decent lamps not just the most expensive as there often seems little correlation between price and lumen output reading the various adverts online.
Yeah, the hassle of opening up the units is.putting me off, but one thing I won't be doing is putting LED bulbs in the dipped beam reflectors unless I go with the projector units.

I am tempted to revert to my H4 units and try the H4 mini projector LED units which can be fitted without splitting the headlights. Does anyone have any experience of them?

One thing I don't like about the H4 units is that the DRL isn't a DRL, it just looks like you left your sidelights on all day!

As for the indicators, I can't find a mainstream brand selling them, so that's a clue as to whether to go there.

Back