T6.1 new order delays

I finally chucked the towel in Saturday after waiting for a full-fat LWB 204PS DSG Highline 4Motion since mid June last year and still at order status 10 with most recent estimated production date in early October. I’m just waiting for my deposit back now. I know VW aren’t the only company with production issues but in my experience (and for many others on this forum it seems) they’ve been breathtakingly appalling at communicating with their customers, who may have had some sympathy with them if they’d bother engaging with them and valuing the business they bring.

I’m off now (unless by some miracle I’m told the van‘s just arrived at the dealers) so wish everyone the best with their T6.1s.

Viel Spaß!
I finally chucked the towel in Saturday after waiting for a full-fat LWB 204PS DSG Highline 4Motion since mid June last year and still at order status 10 with most recent estimated production date in early October. I’m just waiting for my deposit back now. I know VW aren’t the only company with production issues but in my experience (and for many others on this forum it seems) they’ve been breathtakingly appalling at communicating with their customers, who may have had some sympathy with them if they’d bother engaging with them and valuing the business they bring.

I’m off now (unless by some miracle I’m told the van‘s just arrived at the dealers) so wish everyone the best with their T6.1s.

Viel Spaß!
Seems a shame to walk away now after such a long wait! Can fully understand why though. I keep checking for vans in stock incase one comes in the spec I’m after , however as with your order it’s a pretty high spec 204 with 4motion and diff lock etc and the ones that do come up for sale that are close to the spec are a good chunk more than I’ll be paying after the discount, although with the price increases who knows how much it will be once it arrives!!! . It’s all abit messy to say the least .

~12 months was the estimate given but I am expecting that to move. My circumstances are slightly different to most in that I'll be converting mine in to a camper and have a baby due in a few weeks so likelihood is I wouldn't really be able to use it until next year anyway, so I am in no rush. Not making light of the difficulty a lot of people are in financially but it's also not a bad time to stick the funds set aside for the van in to a savings account while interest rates are on the way up and at least you're getting something back to compensate the delays and help offset any price increases.

I specced it with quite a few camper specific options; swivel seats, reverse camera, tyre pressure monitoring, 80l fuel tank, side airbags, towbar prep, LED lights, power latching sliding door/tailgate, heated washer nozzles. Am buying through a broker associated with forces personnel so got ~11% off list on the van in the end. Not sure where that sits against the discount most people are getting but none of my local dealers got anywhere near it at least.
11% off list isn't at all shabby to be fair. If you'd have gone through a broker such as Autoebid, they'd have got close to that, but, as I've mentioned in previous posts, the dealers offering the biggest discounts through brokers aren't necessarily the ones with the allocation (and, IMO, it's the lack of allocation rather than any particular parts shortage that causes the really long delays - in my case, approaching 15 months with no confirmed build date).

Last edited:
11% off list isn't at all shabby bad to be fair. If you'd have gone through a broker such as Autoebid, they'd have got close to that, but, as I've mentioned in previous posts, the dealers offering the biggest discounts through brokers are necessarily the ones with the allocation (and, IMO, it's the lack of allocation rather than any particular parts shortage that causes the really long delays - in my case, approaching 15 months with no confirmed build date).
Thanks mate, reassuring to know the discount is about right. My order's ended up with Lookers in Guildford who the forces brokers use so not sure I will be any better off than anybody else, we'll see I guess. Fingers crossed you'll get yours soon eh? Must be super-frustrating.

Reactions: Bav
My contract is with a campervan converter rather than a VW Commercial dealer and the Transporter base vehicle I ordered is a full fat LWB 204PS DSG 4Motion for which I think they might have issues finding another buyer. I’m therefore reluctant to stick with it up to delivery which it seems, could be next year now. I feel that after 15 months, I really want to be able to move on and to be honest if the van went status 20 just after I‘d cancelled, I’d still want to walk away as I’ve completely lost faith in VW. It’s may not exactly be my other half‘s idea of a campervan but I‘m just researching converting an ex-MoD Pinzgauer to a camper.
How about 1 of these:
Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 13.05.27.pngScreenshot 2022-08-09 at 13.05.14.png

Luvverly. It might be a bit overkill for SWMBO, the dog and me and a few trips across the beach. I was thinking more along the lines of a campervan built on a 4x4 or 6x6 Pinzgauer (an ex-MoD ambulance or radio vehicle) as these will fit on our drive. They’re cheap, plentiful, powered by a VW 2.5 engine, have a diff lock and tow bar, and… there’s no waiting list.
1660081457226.jpeg

Luvverly. It might be a bit overkill for SWMBO, the dog and me and a few trips across the beach. I was thinking more along the lines of a campervan built on a 4x4 or 6x6 Pinzgauer (an ex-MoD ambulance or radio vehicle) as these will fit on our drive. They’re cheap, plentiful, powered by a VW 2.5 engine, have a diff lock and tow bar, and… there’s no waiting list.
View attachment 168299
Trip across the beach? You could secure a beachhead in that thing!

I ordered a SWB highline kombi DSG in Ascot grey last Tuesday and was told 6-8 months ,with the extra options I added It’s the towbar that will delay the total build time!!! Originally before placing the order I got told 4-5 months.
I’ve resigned myself that it could be 10-12 months hopefully not any longer as the prices will increase next March…
That's a joke really,when like others on here I've been waiting a year now,for the same van (204),which now won't here till March 2023 !

@Jimmy have you been given a “estimated” delivery of March .

I emailed dealer asking for update or basically any news at all , like anything , how many in front of me , allocation basically anything .

His reply was

“No news on specific build week but VW have given us a guarantee that all remaining vehicles in our order bank will be built and deliverable this year. I only hope that this turns out to be the case.”

I emailed dealer asking for update or basically any news at all , like anything , how many in front of me , allocation basically anything .

His reply was

“No news on specific build week but VW have given us a guarantee that all remaining vehicles in our order bank will be built and deliverable this year. I only hope that this turns out to be the case.”

His reply was

I presume your question is aimed @Jimmylondon07 (?), as @Jimmy has not visited the forum for over 5 years.

His reply was

If it was aimed at me mate then they said 12 months and the order sheet says delivery ‘~August 2023 TBC’. Vague as you like!

Last edited:
Anyone else receive an email this week from VW CV UK? Just the usual semi-conductor shortages; Ukraine; your custom is very important; blah blah blah emails.

Yep, but I also have a screen shot of a confirmed build week of next week (33)....so am ever hopeful that it doesn't get moved...again!

I believe it was ordered August '21...I hijacked one from a batch the converter had ordered and managed to get the spec changed to what I wanted without dropping down the queue (although they were originally due in June). Did that in April this year. Spec is 204 DSG SWB 4-Motion with far too many boxes ticked. Had to lose the auto-latching tailgate as it had been removed off the options when the dealer changed the spec. Did have a confirmed build week of 26, but that got bumped to 32 and now says 33....praying regularly now!!

I believe it was ordered August '21...I hijacked one from a batch the converter had ordered and managed to get the spec changed to what I wanted without dropping down the queue (although they were originally due in June). Did that in April this year. Spec is 204 DSG SWB 4-Motion with far too many boxes ticked. Had to lose the auto-latching tailgate as it had been removed off the options when the dealer changed the spec. Did have a confirmed build week of 26, but that got bumped to 32 and now says 33....praying regularly now!!

Yeah the power-latching tailgate thing is weird. It's still available if you select 'tailgate without window and power-latching' but not if you select a glazed tailgate. I ended up going for it without the window aperture on the basis that I'd probably replace the OEM window with one that matches the side windows anyway but have had to forego the rear washer and wiper system to have it. Apparently it's due to the lack of semiconductors according to the VW rep but just seemed a bit odd to me that it's not either available or removed for both options. And let's see if I actually get it in the end...

Back