T6.1 new order delays

Lookers Guildford. Apparently VW will protect the new price for 12 months but not sure that’s any consolation when plenty of people are waiting much longer than 12 months.

Some quality issues on my van most likely due to build volumes and the rush to get back to normal production, paint runs on both side doors, auto headlight fault, how many sign offs/inspections did it not go thro prior to shipping, not a big issue but will need sorted which is very frustrating

I finally chucked the towel in Saturday after waiting for a full-fat LWB 204PS DSG Highline 4Motion since mid June last year and still at order status 10 with most recent estimated production date in early October. I’m just waiting for my deposit back now. I know VW aren’t the only company with production issues but in my experience (and for many others on this forum it seems) they’ve been breathtakingly appalling at communicating with their customers, who may have had some sympathy with them if they’d bother engaging with them and valuing the business they bring.

I’m off now (unless by some miracle I’m told the van‘s just arrived at the dealers) so wish everyone the best with their T6.1s.

Viel Spaß!
@Captain Quick I may be with the same converter as you. They seem to be getting a dribble of SWB’s through but the LWB‘s are in limbo. Am waiting for a 150dsg LWB ordered by the converter November 2021. Before the Ukraine war they were expecting to deliver it to me this summer. Now has a November 2022 VW build date, but I have been told that that date is not worth the paper it is written on. Am going to tough it out a bit longer and in the meanwhile sell our existing motorhome while prices are good.

@Captain Quick I may be with the same converter as you. They seem to be getting a dribble of SWB’s through but the LWB‘s are in limbo. Am waiting for a 150dsg LWB ordered by the converter November 2021. Before the Ukraine war they were expecting to deliver it to me this summer. Now has a November 2022 VW build date, but I have been told that that date is not worth the paper it is written on. Am going to tough it out a bit longer and in the meanwhile sell our existing motorhome while prices are good.

@G&T I confirmed my order and handed over a 10% deposit nearly 15 months ago and was expecting the base van to be delivered to the converter in January this year and I anticipated collecting the finished camper in March this year. Several times this year I've had an embarrassed member of the converter's customer service team contact me advising that VW have once again moved production of the van back several weeks with no indication of an actual build slot in sight. Even if my van had gone down the tracks in week 38, it will have meant a 20 month wait at the earliest, for delivery of the finished camper. As it happens, I really feel for the converter who has been fair and done everything that could have been expected of them, and it saddens me that I've had to pull the plug on a sale that they worked hard to get.

Yes, I get it that there's a global microprocessor shortage and the b*****d Russians destroyed the Ukrainian factories that built VW's wiring looms but in my view VW has failed miserably to communicate with its dealers and, in turn their customers. Frankly VW's commercial vehicle production planning seems shambolic, and so does their ability to engage with customers other than grabbing significant deposits off them. Unsurprisingly, I no longer have any faith in VW as a brand.

This, along with the concern that the growing pressure from government and local authorities to further restrict the use of ICE vehicles over the coming years, has made me question whether I really want to invest over 70 grand in something that may well become difficult to sell on a few years down the line. The news that VW will be replacing the T6.1 with a Turkish-built Ford Transit with a VW badge on it sometime next year doesn't instill much confidence either. I certainly think it makes sense to sell your motorhome at this point and keep your options open.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bav
Great news Fozzer…. How long did you have to wait and what spec was your van?
It's a pure Grey Highline Kombi.
Options include
Both front seat swivel
Extra battery
Removal tow bar
Fixed windows ( to many leaky window threads)
Larger tank (yep that was a mistake)
4 keys
Heated screen
Reversing Camera

Last edited:
Options include
Both front seat swivel
Extra battery
Removal tow bar
4 keys
Heated screen
Reversing Camera
Why is the larger tank a mistake?

Options include
Both front seat swivel
Extra battery
Removal tow bar
4 keys
Heated screen
Reversing Camera
Pretty much the same build as mine… how long did it take from order to delivery and when did you order?

Pretty much the same build as mine… how long did it take from order to delivery and when did you order?
Ordered in Jan this year, from VW commercial in Derby, (only walked in for a quick look with no interest of buying a new van ) got told they had only 4 build allocations left for this year, and it had a provisional delivery date of 31 July, at this time I knew nothing of the build delays for T6.1's.
So when I joined on here I genuinely didn't think I'd see my van in 2022 but it has arrived less than a month later than quoted, but now I'm waiting 2 more weeks for the new reg

There must be a shortage of Pure Grey paint and 80L fuel tanks. It’s the same spec as the LWB 204 DSG Highline I ordered last June… but have now cancelled.
Cant blame you.. not sure I could wait 15 months, with the cost of the builds and finance spiraling it does make you think twice, especially when the general cost of living has rocketed !!

Cant blame you.. not sure I could wait 15 months, with the cost of the builds and finance spiraling it does make you think twice, especially when the general cost of living has rocketed !!
If VW were to have built my van in the last estimated build week they gave me (week 39) it would have been about 20 months in total from date of ordering to collecting a completed camper (estimated at January 2023) at the earliest. Since I ordered the van, Diesel has increased a whopping 43% in price and looks likely to stay North of £1.80 for some while to come! And, during that time, several more local councils have implemented or announced new ULEZs making travel by Diesel-fueled vehicles outrageously more expensive.

If VW were to have built my van in the last estimated build week they gave me (week 39) it would have been about 20 months in total from date of ordering to collecting a completed camper (estimated at January 2023) at the earliest. Since I ordered the van, Diesel has increased a whopping 43% in price and looks likely to stay North of £1.80 for some while to come! And, during that time, several more local councils have implemented or announced new ULEZs making travel by Diesel-fueled vehicles outrageously more expensive.
So whats your plan now ?

So whats your plan now ?
I really don't know. Having a camper has been in my mind since I gave up sailing over ten years ago. SWMBO has been busy finding dog-friendly B&Bs and hotels around the UK. She calculated that we could fund about 10 years worth of short trips away for the cost of the depreciation and maintenance on a new camper but, as I've spent much of my adult life staying in hotels for my job, that appeals to me about as much as a night out in Luton.

• Haha
Reactions: Bav
Back