New T6.1 - engine management light - Needs new oxygen sensor and new adblue pump?

LNX

Hello - I just wanted to get some impressions on whether a 3 month old T6.1 having done 2.5k miles should be having an issue with the adblue pump and oxygen sensor?
I took it to the local VW dealership for a check when the engine management light came on (permanently on) recently. The upshot was that the sensor and pump needed replaced.

I'm just wondering what could have caused the problem and if anything else could have been damaged as a result.

Apparently the parts are not available and need to come from Germany with no ETA. I've been advised not to drive the van after picking it up and taking it home (can't leave it with the dealer given no ETA for the parts) as it may damage the DPF. Could it already be damaged?

So I'm without the van for an unknown extended period of time - which seems a bit poor for a brand new machine.

FWIW, I think that's piss-poor reliability, but I think you already knew that.

Do you have their instruction not to use the van in writing? If you do, then that's tantamount to them saying that the van is not fit for purpose, so you have a case for rejecting the van. This may seem a little extreme (and potentially counterproductive, given current availability), but it is something you are entitled to do up to 6 months after date of purchase (so says the Consumer Right Act 2015). At the very least, I wouldn't be allowing the dealer the option of not providing a courtesy vehicle whilst yours is unusable. That is the bare minimum I would expect of a reputable dealer.

As for consequential damage - sorry, I can't help with that. I'm as mechanically-minded as Frank Spencer. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply!
I did think it was bad for multiple parts to fail so quickly. Perhaps one causes the other - not sure. Hopefully the issue is isolated just to these parts though. My concern is though that there are other issues.

Yes I though the lack of offering a courtesy car was odd.

I don't have the statement about not using the car in writing but will try to do so - I'm not really considering rejecting the van though unless there were other issues.

You will strengthen your case for rejection (if that's ultimately what you decide to do) if you put in writing now that you reserve the right to reject the van based on the known faults, should any consequential damage come to light (this will put a marker down before the 6 months expires).

Btw, the above is not me saying you should reject - I think you're probably right not to. The above is me trying to help you protect your right to reject, should you get to that point.

Hello - I just wanted to get some impressions on whether a 3 month old T6.1 having done 2.5k miles should be having an issue with the adblue pump and oxygen sensor?
I took it to the local VW dealership for a check when the engine management light came on (permanently on) recently. The upshot was that the sensor and pump needed replaced.

I'm just wondering what could have caused the problem and if anything else could have been damaged as a result.

Apparently the parts are not available and need to come from Germany with no ETA. I've been advised not to drive the van after picking it up and taking it home (can't leave it with the dealer given no ETA for the parts) as it may damage the DPF. Could it already be damaged?

So I'm without the van for an unknown extended period of time - which seems a bit poor for a brand new machine.
You could spend 300k on a Roller,& it could break down on the way home fella,just because its new,& a VW,dosnt make it bomb proof I'm afraid.. I'd be more concerned as to how soon they can fix it,as I'm sure like the rest of us ,you've been sat patiently waiting an eternity.

Back