T6.1 new order delays

I’m very pleased for everyone who’ve had news that their van is either in the UK or on its way.

Inspired by the recent good news that’s appeared in this thread, I thought I’d contact my converter to see what the latest news was from VW about my LWB 204 DSG 4Motion. Sadly, although my order appears to have been brought forward from Week 39 to Week 38, my hopes were dashed when I learnt that the order status remains at 10 (estimated production) which frankly isn’t any news at all as far as I’m concerned.

I’m now in the 14th month from confirming my order with still nothing positive in sight. As things stand, if the van gets built next month, the earliest I could expect the base van to arrive in the UK would be late October. Assuming the converter would start work on the campervan conversion upon delivery, then we’re talking about being ready for collection sometime in January 2023.

With that in mind, I’ve now taken the decision that unless I get a confirmed build date (order status 20) by the end of next week, I’m going to cancel my order. As the van won’t have been built and the cost to the converter will be minimal, then I don’t think it’s unreasonable to request the return of my deposit in full. Otherwise I just stick with it. What do you guys think? Am I being rational?

Very nice buddy, bet you’re well pleased!

That rubber floor, seems to be a madatory £252 selection when you add a power tailgate which is a bit annoying as I will be converting mine in to a camper. Does it look like it’ll come out in one piece?
You will be able to sell it for more than that. Plus, having the rubber floor means the van will come with raised side step and rear threshold which you would need to buy separately to fit over a ply floor

I’m very pleased for everyone who’ve had news that their van is either in the UK or on its way.

Inspired by the recent good news that’s appeared in this thread, I thought I’d contact my converter to see what the latest news was from VW about my LWB 204 DSG 4Motion. Sadly, although my order appears to have been brought forward from Week 39 to Week 38, my hopes were dashed when I learnt that the order status remains at 10 (estimated production) which frankly isn’t any news at all as far as I’m concerned.

I’m now in the 14th month from confirming my order with still nothing positive in sight. As things stand, if the van gets built next month, the earliest I could expect the base van to arrive in the UK would be late October. Assuming the converter would start work on the campervan conversion upon delivery, then we’re talking about being ready for collection sometime in January 2023.

With that in mind, I’ve now taken the decision that unless I get a confirmed build date (order status 20) by the end of next week, I’m going to cancel my order. As the van won’t have been built and the cost to the converter will be minimal, then I don’t think it’s unreasonable to request the return of my deposit in full. Otherwise I just stick with it. What do you guys think? Am I being rational?
Due to VW removing price protection, if you decide to cancel, the dealer will give you your deposit back - no doubt about that - so why set yourself an arbitrary deadline? If the van went status 20 the day after you cancelled, you'd be kicking yourself. Given you can always cancel right up to delivery, why not see how it plays out? If you have an alternative in mind, you could always pursue that in parallel and keep your options open.

Anyway, that's my tuppence-ha'penny.

You will be able to sell it for more than that. Plus, having the rubber floor means the van will come with raised side step and rear threshold which you would need to buy separately to fit over a ply floor
Thanks buddy. The VW rep I spoke to wasn’t sure if you could remove it without destroying it so being able to do that and sell it sounds like a positive.

Thanks buddy. The VW rep I spoke to wasn’t sure if you could remove it without destroying it so being able to do that and sell it sounds like a positive.
I sold my 3 year old but excellent condition one for £230 I think. Ones with cut outs for Kombi seats are plentiful, but panel van ones pretty rare

Due to VW removing price protection, if you decide to cancel, the dealer will give you your deposit back - no doubt about that - so why set yourself an arbitrary deadline? If the van went status 20 the day after you cancelled, you'd be kicking yourself. Given you can always cancel right up to delivery, why not see how it plays out? If you have an alternative in mind, you could always pursue that in parallel and keep your options open.

Anyway, that's my tuppence-ha'penny.
My contract is with a campervan converter rather than a VW Commercial dealer and the Transporter base vehicle I ordered is a full fat LWB 204PS DSG 4Motion for which I think they might have issues finding another buyer. I’m therefore reluctant to stick with it up to delivery which it seems, could be next year now. I feel that after 15 months, I really want to be able to move on and to be honest if the van went status 20 just after I‘d cancelled, I’d still want to walk away as I’ve completely lost faith in VW. It’s may not exactly be my other half‘s idea of a campervan but I‘m just researching converting an ex-MoD Pinzgauer to a camper.

My contract is with a campervan converter rather than a VW Commercial dealer and the Transporter base vehicle I ordered is a full fat LWB 204PS DSG 4Motion for which I think they might have issues finding another buyer. I’m therefore reluctant to stick with it up to delivery which it seems, could be next year now. I feel that after 15 months, I really want to be able to move on and to be honest if the van went status 20 just after I‘d cancelled, I’d still want to walk away as I’ve completely lost faith in VW. It’s may not exactly be my other half‘s idea of a campervan but I‘m just researching converting an ex-MoD Pinzgauer to a camper.
Well, the Pinzgauer will certainly have better off-road capability than a 4mo van. The mpg though... not so much :)

Well, the Pinzgauer will certainly have better off-road capability than a 4mo van. The mpg though... not so much :)
Very true, but I’ll probably worry less about little scrutters scratching it when it’s parked.

• Haha
Reactions: Bav
That’s fantastic new saronica :cool:Hopefully one of those folders had Builder Jay‘s name on it ;)
@V8markie
I’ve had a status 10 for build week 37 12-18/09/22 for nearly 2 months now.
Jamie at JCB Sittingbourne said now there’s a short supply of digital dashes now.
Obviously not a status 20 so who knows!
Is yours a confirmed build date??
BJ

@BuilderJay Christ all mighty wonder what’ll run out of next:rolleyes: mine is not a 100% confirmed date as of yet, i will believe it when he tells me it’s in their compound :D

Jamie hinted end of the year for mine. It’ll get to the build week then it’ll say a different week.
Need that confirmed status 20!!!

Picking mine up first thing in morning. Didn't have any status notifications just had phone call off dealer saying its being built and will be here soon. Hold on in there, it will happen and possibly without you knowing.

Been lurking for a couple of weeks on the forum and it’s nice to see a few orders coming through albeit slowly!! I’m right at the back of the queue as only put an order in 3 weeks ago from the same broker a few have ordered from, I found this thread after I had already ordered and my heart sank a little when I read just how long some have been waiting !!! This will be my first Transporter and I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

Been lurking for a couple of weeks on the forum and it’s nice to see a few orders coming through albeit slowly!! I’m right at the back of the queue as only put an order in 3 weeks ago from the same broker a few have ordered from, I found this thread after I had already ordered and my heart sank a little when I read just how long some have been waiting !!! This will be my first Transporter and I’m sure it will be worth the wait.
I finally chucked the towel in Saturday after waiting for a full-fat LWB 204PS DSG Highline 4Motion since mid June last year and still at order status 10 with most recent estimated production date in early October. I’m just waiting for my deposit back now. I know VW aren’t the only company with production issues but in my experience (and for many others on this forum it seems) they’ve been breathtakingly appalling at communicating with their customers, who may have had some sympathy with them if they’d bother engaging with them and valuing the business they bring.

I’m off now (unless by some miracle I’m told the van‘s just arrived at the dealers) so wish everyone the best with their T6.1s.

Viel Spaß!

I ordered a SWB highline kombi DSG in Ascot grey last Tuesday and was told 6-8 months ,with the extra options I added It’s the towbar that will delay the total build time!!! Originally before placing the order I got told 4-5 months.
I’ve resigned myself that it could be 10-12 months hopefully not any longer as the prices will increase next March…

Fingers crossed! How much did that set you back? Did your dealer give you a rough timeline?

~12 months was the estimate given but I am expecting that to move. My circumstances are slightly different to most in that I'll be converting mine in to a camper and have a baby due in a few weeks so likelihood is I wouldn't really be able to use it until next year anyway, so I am in no rush. Not making light of the difficulty a lot of people are in financially but it's also not a bad time to stick the funds set aside for the van in to a savings account while interest rates are on the way up and at least you're getting something back to compensate the delays and help offset any price increases.

I specced it with quite a few camper specific options; swivel seats, reverse camera, tyre pressure monitoring, 80l fuel tank, side airbags, towbar prep, LED lights, power latching sliding door/tailgate, heated washer nozzles. Am buying through a broker associated with forces personnel so got ~11% off list on the van in the end. Not sure where that sits against the discount most people are getting but none of my local dealers got anywhere near it at least.

Last edited:
Back