Surfrdan Attempts To Turn A Kombi Into A California Beach-ish

Surfrdan

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So initially when I realised I needed a van, I was looking at Californias but the price and lead time put me off. I bided my time whilst coming to the end of the term on my C-Class PCP deal and thought about the options. In the end I decided the best option was a nearly new Highline Kombi which I found in a very clean 16 plate with 13k on the clock. It felt like a new van leaving the forecourt but only cost me an initial 24K. Now begins the task of getting from the Kombi to something resembling a Cali.

So starting with the basics, the boards were stripped and the process of applying silent coat, dodo liner and anthracite carpet and headliner to match the cab, @Absolut5 style is underway.

40154371490_783f4f402b_b.jpgUntitled by Dan Field, on Flickr

Alongside the interior work I decided I couldn't live with the Claytons and ride height any more. Having eyed up @$immo's Devonports on spacers I decided this was what I wanted next, following an OEM Plus style. Hopefully my 30mm drop on a T30 will be comparable to his 50m drop on a T32.

42369538651_6879c1a3d7_b.jpgUntitled by Dan Field, on Flickr

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how the numbers work out compared to buying a Cali Beach. Are you going for floor rails?

Yes, hopefully. Funds allowing
Good luck, sounds like a great project.
Are you going for a pop-top as well?
I’ve spotted Cali Beach sets of blinds on eBay but not the plastics - I think the OEM blinds look best, so it’ll be interesting to see these applied aftermarket.
I just got a full Cali seat set from Richard at Kernow Transporters myself :thumbsup:

Good luck, sounds like a great project.
Are you going for a pop-top as well?
I’ve spotted Cali Beach sets of blinds on eBay but not the plastics - I think the OEM blinds look best, so it’ll be interesting to see these applied aftermarket.
I just got a full Cali seat set from Richard at Kernow Transporters myself :thumbsup:

I'm not planning on replicating all the plastic fittings of the Cali as the slider is on the wrong side and I'm quite content with carpetted panels.

The general thinking so far is:

Cali/Caravelle rails and 3 seat bench preferably with a similar rubber floor to stock for ease of cleaning
SCA 194 Roof
Erbspacher D2 (under drivers seat) (can you use overhead controller from Cali with these?)
Leisure Battery (under drivers seat)
Solar panel on roof
OEM rear quarter privacy tint windows
Convert passenger double to single swivel
Kylie bike rack
Removable tow hook
OEM LED headlight upgrade
Comfort dash
Caravelle door cards
Loc8 table or Door Store in slider
Chair bag storage in tailgate

So initially when I realised I needed a van, I was looking at Californias but the price and lead time put me off. I bided my time whilst coming to the end of the term on my C-Class PCP deal and thought about the options. In the end I decided the best option was a nearly new Highline Kombi which I found in a very clean 16 plate with 13k on the clock. It felt like a new van leaving the forecourt but only cost me an initial 24K. Now begins the task of getting from the Kombi to something resembling a Cali.

So starting with the basics, the boards were stripped and the process of applying silent coat, dodo liner and anthracite carpet and headliner to match the cab, @Absolut5 style is underway.

View attachment 23034Untitled by Dan Field, on Flickr

Alongside the interior work I decided I couldn't live with the Claytons and ride height any more. Having eyed up @$immo's Devonports on spacers I decided this was what I wanted next, following an OEM Plus style. Hopefully my 30mm drop on a T30 will be comparable to his 50m drop on a T32.

View attachment 23035Untitled by Dan Field, on Flickr

Best of luck with if @Surfrdan I did all my conversation over the bleak months from Oct to Jan, when I finished it. It was bloody cold! I suppose the only upside was whilst I was converting people weren't posting sunny beach pics making me jealous :D
Enjoying all my hard work now though, currently in Cornwall surfing.

IMG_20180528_140857_01.jpg

30mm springs are on.

Originally on Claytons and no spacers and original springs
D77068C6-8B28-46BF-B671-292B9ADFD393.jpeg

Lowered 30mm on eibach springs and 25/30mm spacing front/rear with Devonports
E8AC752C-228E-4819-B2BA-D7B8F3600DFA.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeh I'm not looking for a kitchen. I do want a rear bench on rails which will convert into bed though (cali/velle rails) + multiflex board

I'm not planning on replicating all the plastic fittings of the Cali as the slider is on the wrong side and I'm quite content with carpetted panels.

The general thinking so far is:

Cali/Caravelle rails and 3 seat bench preferably with a similar rubber floor to stock for ease of cleaning
SCA 194 Roof
Erbspacher D2 (under drivers seat) (can you use overhead controller from Cali with these?)
Leisure Battery (under drivers seat)
Solar panel on roof
OEM rear quarter privacy tint windows
Convert passenger double to single swivel
Kylie bike rack
Removable tow hook
OEM LED headlight upgrade
Comfort dash
Caravelle door cards
Loc8 table or Door Store in slider
Chair bag storage in tailgate

Good spec. Lots on the list that I have done or plan to do.

Stalled big time on making any progress so it was off to my local converters, Swanson’s with a van load of carpet, panels and insulation. One weekend later here she is sporting new rear quarter windows and lining. Also OEM internal LED bulb upgrade

1C3B7451-3815-407D-A78A-D943BA6958B3.jpeg

71436954-33F4-4EB3-B7F1-3FBBA3F78B34.jpeg

FBF3808A-9DC0-4830-8431-9EFF7C278594.jpeg

37919-0c8e46a202b5d0f80e4c849b378446d3.jpg
I was also after a Beach type conversion for my TSi with no kitchen, a full width bed and some storage. This is the result (from Exploria) but without the 2-seat California bench (ordered). There is a fridge in the front storage unit and an inverter hidden in the middle one (outlet just behind the drivers seat). I favour the stealth camper approach, so have not fitted any side windows (but left the reveal for possible future fittment).
How much is a Beach? By the time I've paid for the California seats, and associated leather re-trim as well as the LPG conversion this will have cost over £60K.
Gosh, thats a bit mind blowing - no wonder my wife wont even look at it!

That looks amazing.
:D

Yeah, the money does start looking scary but then just think of all the wonderful memories that you will make in the van. That's my reasoning anyways.
:laugh:

View attachment 37912
I was also after a Beach type conversion for my TSi with no kitchen, a full width bed and some storage. This is the result (from Exploria) but without the 2-seat California bench (ordered). There is a fridge in the front storage unit and an inverter hidden in the middle one (outlet just behind the drivers seat). I favour the stealth camper approach, so have not fitted any side windows (but left the reveal for possible future fittment).
How much is a Beach? By the time I've paid for the California seats, and associated leather re-trim as well as the LPG conversion this will have cost over £60K.
Gosh, thats a bit mind blowing - no wonder my wife wont even look at it!
That interior is smart. What did they use to give you the smooth panels?

Back