Kombi Evolution - California Roof

Montecha

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I thought I'd post this up as when I was researching getting a California roof fitted to my Kombi, I didn't find much information, apart from that it's not the regular route and there seems to be only a couple of places that do the conversion.

Anyhow, for a number of reasons I convinced myself that the California Beach (manual) roof would be the best pop top for me. I could have also gone Cali Ocean electric, but in the end wanted to keep it simple and couldn't even justify that to myself, let alone my other half.

I liked the fact that the Cali roof was:

1. Aluminum and not 'plastic' construction
2. The bed gets really good reviews for comfort
3. Headroom in the front isn't impacted
4. It's what the factory fits - OEM+ so global parts availability
5. prepped and rated for roof rails - I need to carry a sculling boat.
6. I think it looks pretty - you can always tell when a Cali is coming towards you

The dislikes:

1. It's an expensive roof, there's definitely cheaper alternatives
2. You don't get the warranty that you would get with a brand new roof
3. Very limited choice of fitters
4. Externally taller than the low profile roofs like the HiLo

But in my case the likes outweighed the dislikes. I also thought long and hard about just selling the Kombi and buying a Beach, however I'd already done lots to the Kombi so it 'owed' me much more than someone would pay me for it, the difference would most likely have been double if not treble my conversion costs.

So based on that I set about on finding the right fitter / converter. I booked it into Kernow Conversions down in Penzance for the work (after going through all their FB photos of every conversion that they have done multiple times, and talking to Richard about the options) I also added the Cali Rear door storage (with the two chairs), the Cali door card with Picnic table, Cali rails plus awning and went for a new blue panoramic canvas. As I have a twin slider, drivers side awning and the picnic table card isn't an issue.

The van was already insulated and lined, I'd fitted Caravelle door cards to the sliders so Kernow didn't have a blank canvass to work on but have blended the whole thing in really well.

Having collected it last week and now I've spent a couple of nights sleeping out now, I'm really pleased with the way it’s finished inside, looks outside, the way it all works in with the rest of the van and most importantly how I plan to use it.

I already had Caravelle rails with the triple seat, and a Multiflex board equivalent (aftermarket legs that came with template for the board), and I'd slept out in it a few times but not comfortably. I had just been using a hiking inflatable mattress over the bumps and divots of the seat / board combo, so decided to go for the Van Essa mattress. The Van Essa is 10 cm thick, so a little bulky, but I figured that if I get organised on my storage then it's manageable.

Here's a couple of pictures from the 4 mile road-trip to the local campsite - I also picked up some privacy panels for the awning, sprung from Loz's collection on the way home from Cornwall.

Plan is to use it for 1 or 2 night trips, we are 'Tenters' for anything longer, so just want to be comfortable but keep it simple as possible

Next on the list:

1. Slide out drawer for under the Multiflex board, I think that storage is really key to make it all work. It's a good space under the board / behind the seat but proper pain getting access without a slide out.
2. Drop down from a Cadac Carri Chef to a Safari Chef Lite to save space.
3. Euroboxes!
4. Optimising what we take vs. a 2 week camping trip

Camp pitch.jpeg

From Rear.jpeg

Front.jpeg

Side On.jpeg

Each to their own when it comes to pop tops. You've done your due diligence and picked the one that works for you. Now sit back and enjoy before Boris closes everything down again.

Back