Still Knocking On My Rear B14s

CALLAKN

Electrician / Linesman
VIP Member
T6 Legend
okay guys been a few discussions a couple of months back and posts on this topic... I fitted them myself, and there seems to be a knocking whenever I go near a bump... I’m comparing these coilovers to those on my Audi TT track car, which are don’t give off any rattles or noise .... here’s pictures for those with a keen eye to look at ... PLEASE tell me if you have any idea if I’ve fitted something wrong, or somethings wrong way round or not sitting properly... ANYTHING !

Cheers in advance...

IMG_3164.JPG
IMG_3165.JPG
IMG_3166.JPG
IMG_3167.JPG
IMG_3168.JPG
IMG_3170.JPG
IMG_3171.JPG
IMG_3172.JPG
IMG_3173.JPG
IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3180.JPG
IMG_3185.JPG

So i tried this, silly idea, and made no difference just tried to think, maybe the coil was knocking... or rubbing the foam was dividing the coil it was wrapped around and the one above it which cant be seen -
IMG_3184.JPG

Have you got original shocks to swap out to see, I had a faulty set of rear bilstein from new
Knocked until they were rebuilt

That was going to be my next test! Swap out for old shocks... see what happens

Try jacking it up with the wheel on and then get a bar under the tyre and and lever it up, you should be able to see where the issue is...it could be Bush or the stretch bolts have extended too much and need replacing and torqued correctly. there different torque settings for the top and bottom bolts

I’ve jumped up and down in the back of the van and you struggle to hear anything...

Just throwing it out there, its not the wish bone now you have stiffened up the suspension ?

Just throwing it out there, its not the wish bone now you have stiffened up the suspension ?

What would the wish bone be vibrating on?!

Lad at THQ always mentioned little Nibs at top of shock that rubbed and made a clatter noise , but I never noticed them when fitting

Theres a few threads starting to appear regarding noisey B14's. Cant offer any help other than you're not alone, numbers are slowly increasing it seems.

Looks like the shocks top cover is rattling sidewards and producing that clocking/rattling... the shock absorber rod hasn't snapped at the point where the top mounting eye is welded on has it, the gas in the strut would keep the shock rod extended and the top body would keep it within the body mounting turret?

Just watched the video twice more so forget some/most of that above, you're going to have to whip the shock absorber off and try holding by one end in one hand and thumping the other end of the shock sidewards with the heel of your other hand to see if it's the shocks covers simply hitting the reservoir part of the shock and clattering... in the earlier pictures you can see where the cover has rubbed away the Bilstein logo and yellow paint so there's obviously contact being made... sort of a Bilstein tuning fork.

Could you wrap a layer of paper up inside the shock cover, held in place with tape at the bottom of the reservoir. It would not last long, but at least it may stop the cover rattling, and help prove/disprove the cause.

Pete

Just weird to think the plastic cover would make such a mechanical clatter, mate thinks shock seals may have gone

If the shock has gone then you would expect the back end to feel a bit bouncier and see an oil weep at the road end of the shock absorber, looks bone dry in the video.
I reckon whip the shock off, you could actually run the van up the road minus the shock on that side to check the noise but with the shock off the van you're going to have a better idea what state it's in... be really hilarious if it turned out to be an exhaust heat shield making the noise.:whistle:

If the shock has gone then you would expect the back end of the van to feel a bit bouncier and see an oil weep at the road end of the shock absorber, looks bone dry in the video.
I reckon whip the shock off, you could actually run the van up the road minus the shock on that side to check the noise but with the shock off the van you're going to have a better idea what state it's in anyway... be really hilarious if it turned out to be an exhaust heat shield making the noise.:whistle:

Dupe.

Had it up on the ramp yesterday, took shocks off, they seemed fine... and the mechanic confirmed that, so then we decided maybe the adjusters that sit in top of the springs was knocking, because it’s metal on metal, and the weld points on the floor of the van where the top of the adjusters sit could be rocking/knocking due to not being a flat surface maybe ?

So I took them out, and replaced with original rubber top mounts, so no metal on metal.. it lowered the van a tad more lol... so then I put shocks back on, and guess what, NO CHANGE! Sooooo tomorrow evening we’re gonna swap the shocks for originals,

Noticed little dimples where the top of the shocks sit, from weld points the other side of the sheet metal where they’ve welded the square nut on, however no rubbing on this was noticed. I hope whatever it is, it’s not an expensive fix

Tried tapping everything in the area of the shock and giving the wheel a good old wobble top and bottom then side to side to check wheel bearing and wishbone bushes, another thought and check ARB mounting clamps are tight and bushes are in place.

Back