T6.1 B14 Komfort rear knocking

The weld spots rub on to the spring perch and wear away at it , the pathetic rubber washer supplied to stop this is useless after a few miles as you can see.
Because the spring perch has no way of being secured other than spring pressure it can move when the suspension is MOVING

Rear Bilstein mounting.jpg

I guess Komfort spelt with a K doesn‘t break the Trades Descriptions Act
Its their way of admitting the original kit wasn't comfortable I guess ., Not a fan but i have done pointing out the error of there ways . ,

I’ll have a look at that, but I’m sure it’s the spring itself
This isnt easy to see , its highly unlikely to be the spring . check its sitting in the rubber mount correctly ( and the rubber is ok ) also look to see if you can see any shine worn metal , this is the sign of rubbing and will often make a noise

By way on an update on my knocking saga. Bilstein have now returned the rear dampers with some new modified top bushes fitted as shown below. I’ll get the standard knock free dampers off this weekend and fit the modified Bilstein dampers then cross my fingers and go for a test drive. I’ll update on the results.
131F32E4-E2C4-4281-9EA9-BA5F38F52C58.jpeg
47CDF4DA-4652-46E9-A76E-C04E4DF287D0.jpeg

I thought you said with the standard shocks it still knocked ?? sorry if i mis read that ??

I thought you said with the standard shocks it still knocked ?? sorry if i mis read that ??
On mine as soon as I put the standard VW shocks on the knock went away so I returned the dampers to Bilstein. They have modified the top bushes and sent them back so I will fit them at the weekend and hope for the best.

@Richy84 has the noise coming from the springs. Interestingly Bilstein told me about the issue you mentioned with the top adjuster making the noise so it is a known issue to them.

Fitted the Bilstein rear shocks over the weekend and although 90% better than before they went back to Bilstein, the knock returned as soon as I removed the OEM shocks and refitted the Bilstein. I even fitted new bolts top and bottom to rule them out. It’s annoying but I think I can live with it. Just need to sound deaden it and get some audio in the back to drown it out. If I decide I can’t live with it then I’ll get some KWs instead. Just kicking myself that I didn’t get KW in the first place.

Fitted the Bilstein rear shocks over the weekend and although 90% better than before they went back to Bilstein, the knock returned as soon as I removed the OEM shocks and refitted the Bilstein. I even fitted new bolts top and bottom to rule them out. It’s annoying but I think I can live with it. Just need to sound deaden it and get some audio in the back to drown it out. If I decide I can’t live with it then I’ll get some KWs instead. Just kicking myself that I didn’t get KW in the first place.
If the noise cant be stopped then the supplying dealer should refund or replace with a KW kit . You wont have any issues with KW because its a properly engineered coil over kit . I wouldn't expect a customer of mine to put up with a noise and you shouldn't have to live with that ,,it will only get worse .

Where are you based , if close to us i am happy to take a look for you ??

If the noise cant be stopped then the supplying dealer should refund or replace with a KW kit . You wont have any issues with KW because its a properly engineered coil over kit . I wouldn't expect a customer of mine to put up with a noise and you shouldn't have to live with that ,,it will only get worse .
I have asked to return the kit and get a refund. Once the van has no weight in it it is just as loud and annoying as before. I’ll see how I get on getting a refund but I have a long enough email trail of me reporting the issue to both Bilstein and the suppler immediately so hopefully I will get the refund.

Thanks for the call earlier , I am glad they are going to refund you , because in all fairness that is the right thing to do . What they were told about the kits being fine is actually not right there are plenty people on various forums including this one that complain about the same noise . I have personally helped several people with this problem and i dont sell the stuff at all ( and wont )

By any chance does anyone know the torque ratings for the rear shocks/dampeners for the b14 Komfort kit on a t6.1 ?

We’ve never grinded a single weld off, or had knocking on B14K. Which is even more strange.

We worked very closely with Bilstein with the previous on the the B14. It turned out to be a faulty batch of dampers, although many claimed other issues.
My B14's were fitted by you guys and mine knock and creak terribly, reading this now it looks like I have faulty units.

My B14's were fitted by you guys and mine knock and creak terribly, reading this now it looks like I have faulty units.
Hi, I just realised I never updated this with what actually caused my knock. In my case it was the chamfer on the rear adjusters touching the spot welds causing it to rock slightly. I have put some photos below. You can see where the spot welds cut through the rubber gasket and where it was digging into the adjuster causing it to rock and knock. The black adjuster is off my KW V3’s and you can see how much bigger the chamfer is. The KW is just a much better design.6CED74F5-D750-40BB-9A10-142F9583D4FA.jpeg
595D5007-B68A-4AB3-8F00-1EB7CEBDCDF0.jpeg
80BB4B65-6BB2-4BB9-84AE-72688D5455CB.jpeg

2BC25FA3-760E-4BBE-A942-FC5D62B9AF1D.jpeg

Hi, I just realised I never updated this with what actually caused my knock. In my case it was the chamfer on the rear adjusters touching the spot welds causing it to rock slightly. I have put some photos below. You can see where the spot welds cut through the rubber gasket and where it was digging into the adjuster causing it to rock and knock. The black adjuster is off my KW V3’s and you can see how much bigger the chamfer is. The KW is just a much better design.View attachment 180045
View attachment 180048
View attachment 180047

View attachment 180046
This has always been an issue plus the fact that B14 doesnt have grub screws to hold the rear adjuster in place on the bump stop tube , .All the good kits have bigger chamfer like the KW kit does no noises at all BUT you must not grind the welds off , rather get a better adjuster

Back