[RESOLVED] Stance+ Proline coilovers knocking

stevenson

so I've just had the stance+ proline coilovers fitted to my t32 and a day later im getting a knocking from the front shocks more of a banging when driving over any slight bump in the road or cornering the shocks are hitting the stops, its not enjoyable to drive, I've tryed adjusting them and checked that everthing but still no different, has anyone had the same problem and any idea what the issue is.
cheers

Is it similar to that mentioned in this thread?

Did you replace any ARB bushings / top mounts, etc?

Is it similar to that mentioned in this thread?

Did you replace any ARB bushings / top mounts, etc?
its similar but also if i go over anything like a man hole cover or roundabouts

I've had new topmounts fitted and new droplinks but not arb bushes
im thinking changing them could they possibly cause this problem.
cheers again.

as you can see in the pic this is what is hitting together the bottom of the piston and the top you might be able to see the hit marks, these are brand new by the way.

IMG_20200903_181052.jpg

IMG_20200903_181109.jpg

Interesting. I too have a knocking going over potholes and speed bumps. Nobody seems to know what it could be unless the shock is removed and stripped down. I have Stance+ Ultras.

Interesting. I too have a knocking going over potholes and speed bumps. Nobody seems to know what it could be unless the shock is removed and stripped down. I have Stance+ Ultras.
i ordered the stance+ ultras but apparently they have now been this continued so they sent me the proline that have replaced them, this banging is really driving me made I've striped the shock down on the passenger side and put all back making sure everything is tight but no difference this is my new shock now im worried about driving it as dont want to cause and more damage, you can see where its hitting im going to order some polly bushes tomorrow for the arb and see if that sorts it i will let you no, only problem i have now is there are two possible sizes for them 21mm and 24mm so going to have get the van back up in the air amd measure them.

IMG_20200903_181052.jpg

IMG_20200903_181045.jpg

IMG_20200903_181059.jpg

IMG_20200903_181109.jpg

Hi I have the same issue, have you managed it sort it
hi mate i have managed to sort it the problem with mine was when they was installed the garage never set them up properly, i checked everything was nice and tight and re checked but there was no change, so i wound up the springs so they were under more pressure i did this 5mm at a time and drove it about for 10 mins and kept doing that until i got it just riggt now the banging has gone so would try that, its abit of a ball ache taking the wheels on and of but its been fine ever sinc, let me know if you sort it. good luck.

hi mate i have managed to sort it the problem with mine was when they was installed the garage never set them up properly, i checked everything was nice and tight and re checked but there was no change, so i wound up the springs so they were under more pressure i did this 5mm at a time and drove it about for 10 mins and kept doing that until i got it just riggt now the banging has gone so would try that, its abit of a ball ache taking the wheels on and of but its been fine ever sinc, let me know if you sort it. good luck.
thanks for the update I will give it a try over the weekend and let you know, out of interest do your springs compress as much as mine
when the vehicle is lowered to the ground
IMG_1624.jpgIMG_1626.jpg

thanks for the update I will give it a try over the weekend and let you know, out of interest do your springs compress as much as mine
when the vehicle is lowered to the ground
View attachment 85315View attachment 85316
hi mate yeah mine do compresss like that but there was still to much travel in the spring so i had to wind ot up until the banging stopped, so i found out the idea of adjustable stance proline coilovers is you adjust the ride hight with the bottom adjusters and the spring adjustment is for the stiffness of your ride, so if you have your spring adjustment to low down the strut the travel is grater and there isn't much tension on the spring to push the van up away from the strut so it will bang and come in to contact with the top of the piston mount when hitting a bump in the road, but if you have the spring wound up under pressure then the spring is pushing the van away from the strut and causing less travel so it doesn't bang it took me a while to understand this but it worked.

Glad you got it sorted @stevenson. Does that not mean it sits lower than you want? I mean if I do that to mine, it won’t be far off the ground.
i thought that as well, but i found out that by compressing the spring doesn't lower the van it only stiffens the ride and reduces the down travel the bottom adjustment is the one that raises and lowers the ride hight it took me a while to work this out but I've got it just right now the ride hight is just where i want it and the quality of ride and comfort is spot on, ill up load a pic of the van tomorrow so you can see the ride hight.

Perfect @stevenson. A picture of how the shock/spring looks now would also help me get my head round what you're saying.

Is this a job I can undertake myself - I have a trolley jack etc and the tool for moving the adjuster rings.

i thought that as well, but i found out that by compressing the spring doesn't lower the van it only stiffens the ride and reduces the down travel the bottom adjustment is the one that raises and lowers the ride hight it took me a while to work this out but I've got it just right now the ride hight is just where i want it and the quality of ride and comfort is spot on, ill up load a pic of the van tomorrow so you can see the ride hight.
Would love a photo of the set up now how it sits when on the ground. My spring in bunched up and it bangs over bumps

Just look up "preload on coilerovers" on you tube. That's will explain it all...
You loosen the spring seat until the spring is at its full length and then compress the spring up around 15-25mm (stance will quote the measurements in the pack) and lock into position. Preload ✔ compressing it more just make it bang. I had the same problem

Just look up "preload on coilerovers" on you tube. That's will explain it all...
You loosen the spring seat until the spring is at its full length and then compress the spring up around 15-25mm (stance will quote the measurements in the pack) and lock into position. Preload ✔ compressing it more just make it bang. I had the same problem
Yer did just watch a video on that. Looks easy enough. Wasn’t any measurements in the pack to say what it should be. Tried calling stance/venom but no answer.
I feel like they are too compressed but the garage says they are correct. I’ll try adjust them on the weekend and see how I go

Back