Still Knocking On My Rear B14s

Well bad news I'm afraid.

A cooler morning and a commute to work has revealed that the knocking is still there, though reduced a bit.

Maybe I have a faulty set. :(

@Absolut5 was telling me about faulty rear B14 dampers the other day. Jason - are you able to explain?

Is it the bush as foggy explained, it’s diameter is larger than the original, apparently Bilstein sorted this out over a year ago, but some are still circulating, second hand etc

If the bush diameter is incorrect, how does the thickness match up? If the new one is thinner than the original and there isn't enough give in the metalwork either side to compress and hold it tightly then it may be rattling around on the bolt between the body plates. A shim either/one side to pack it out may be the answer.

If the bush diameter is incorrect, how does the thickness match up? If the new one is thinner than the original and there isn't enough give in the metalwork either side to compress and hold it tightly then it may be rattling around on the bolt between the body plates. A shim either/one side to pack it out may be the answer.

The B14 damper top bush centre is nigh on the same width as a stock bush.

OE 39.7mm
B14 40mm

To be honest the effort you put in to sort this is commendable . but I don't see that being the problem if the mount was lose then yes it could make a noise but it would rattle continually. Taking the contact area down to me would make it more likely to rattle not improve it . I can only assume the Billy shocks have an issue to be honest . if the car is good with the standard parts in .

Yeah I’ve contacted billy, see if I hear owt back but it’s all good with the oem dampers on the rear

To be honest the effort you put in to sort this is commendable . but I don't see that being the problem if the mount was lose then yes it could make a noise but it would rattle continually. Taking the contact area down to me would make it more likely to rattle not improve it . I can only assume the Billy shocks have an issue to be honest . if the car is good with the standard parts in .

I envisage the opposite. The 4 spot welds clashing with the larger diameter b14 bush centre are creating a stand off situation, preventing it being clamped up properly and thus, allowing knocking.

The idea behind reducing the with of the oversize portion of the bush centre, should allow the centre portion to clear the spot welds and clamp up tight against the shell & captive nut as the oem damper intended and does.

It could be the case I need to drop the height of the shoulder I have created to get better clearance and get better clamping of the unmodified part of the eye bush.

Anyway, I have got some genuine Bilstein replacement B14 eye bushes now and they are quite different to the current ones in the B14 rear dampers. Less rubber moulded in and the metal centre is a harder material.....though still a larger OD compared to oem.

20190714_171955.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I envisage the opposite. The 4 spot welds clashing with the larger diameter b14 bush centre are creating a stand off situation, preventing it being clamped up properly and thus, allowing knocking.

The idea behind reducing the with of the oversize portion of the bush centre, should allow the centre portion to clear the spot welds and clamp up tight against the shell & captive nut as the oem damper intended and does.

It could be the case I need to drop the height of the shoulder I have created to get better clearance and get better clamping of the unmodified part of the eye bush.

Anyway, I have got some genuine Bilstein replacement B14 eye bushes now and they are quite different to the current ones in the B14 rear dampers. Less rubber moulded in and the metal centre is a harder material.....though still a larger OD compared to oem.

View attachment 47146
I could do with a set off these, could you let me know where you got them.
Thanks

Not yet @JonB !

Waiting for a bit of free time to whip the rear dampers back off and press the new bushes in!

Watching this with interest...as I have an intermittent knock, which seems to come from the rear right side of the van. Sometimes it's there all day...other times I don't notice it at all. I initially though it was suspension related, from the drivers seat it is hard to tell however as the noises bounce around in the back. after having someone in the back whilst the knock was present, the passengers feeling was it was more in the side of the van than under it...sorta above the arch. Last I did was tweak the sliding door catches and rubbers and no noise since, but sometimes it goes for months without showing itself and take a particular type of road to show up.

Yours seems more frequent than mine, but a similar sort of annoying rattly knock...I'll give to try the gopro under the van trick if my noise comes back again.

Back