Stan The Man's T6.1 Ascot Grey build

stan-the-man

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

Just got myself Ascot Grey 2023 T6.1 150bhp DSG Highline last week and absolutely love it!
Had a mk4 150bhp highline Caddy previously and unfortunately it was getting too small with work requirements as I am self employed handy man here in Ireland.
Took about 3 months to get her built and delivered and I tried to squeeze as much into her as possible from factory to save myself hassle retrofitting big stuff later .
Shes got:
-ACC
-sign recognition, HBA, blind spot assist, PDC front ands rear
-power latching tailgate and power latching L and R sliding doors with windows
-roof rail prep
-240V socket, drivers seat electric lumbar, heated seats
-virtual cockpit
-footwell lights and load area step illumination
-LED headlights and tails
-large NAV
-load area rubber floor and full side panels
-direct TPMS
-carpet in front

+ few more bits :D

Future plans are:
-webasto remote controlled parking heater (not available to order in Ireland ):cry:
-climatronic conversion from ugly AC panel
-17 or 18" wheels
-wireless charger
-potentially remap to make her bit stronger
-extra led lighting all over the place

Currently managed to install AUDI dashcam, extra lights in tailgate and roof, mirror puddle lights, carpet the load area.
Now need to figure out how to post pics:)

Looking good so far. Cant believe your bus only took 3 months to build! Some others have been waiting 2 years!!

Welcome to the forum!

Hi folks

Apologies been busy with wiring projects for other lads :)

Ok so the lights are from new Touran part number 510945291 and 510945292

I will have couple of sets available very soon if anyone is looking for some.

I had mine wired to the footwell lights in the van which isnt ideal in my opinion as they are not dusk/dawn cotrolled via RLS but on, no matter what time of the day it is when you unlock the van. I would like to see if I can get them wired up so they are dependant on day/night mode only. Its a shame VW havent done footwell lights that way so they are only on at night.

I used my CNC to cut the holes out as well so the setup I will have will be ready to go.

Next project for me is getting the heated wheel to work in the van

I believe some other members had this done already but here is how I want to do mine.

Donor slip ring for this project is 5Q1 953 549F which has the extra connection for heated wheel plug.
I stripped the PCB board from it and installed my own instead to make sure all the connections from the wheel are same.
The slip ring in T6.1 is a basic one without any electronic components, only pass through tape from the airbag plug to the car.
So now the slip ring is ready for testing + I believe will need to trim some bits slightly to make the body of it fit the column which hopefully wont be a problem.
The connections at the T6.1 are airbag pins (2 x gold pins) linbus, ground, 12v and CCS signal. I made sure all the pins on my PCB have continuity from the airbag loom pins to the bottom plug. Once fitted I should only have to run 12v and ground from the larger pins in the new slip ring plug and just move wires from existing slip ring plug into new one.

Hoping to have this tested in next short while as the winter is around the corner :think smile bounce:

If successful will probably will make few extra ones :cool:

image0(2).jpegimage1(3).jpegimage2.jpeg

Ok so the above idea is scrapped and had to go and try different things and managed to get it working today but at a cost of messing up my light sign recognition and lane assist which I’m not 100% sure how that happened as it seems my basic settings got somehow erased.

So trip to vw required but not for another week as the technician in charge of these calibrations is away so won’t know if that was caused by new slipring or me directly

I’ll know in 2 weeks time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_3016.jpeg

Finally managed to get couple of serious upgrades in, we have been waiting for various parts to arrive from over Europe. For some reason any bolts,nuts washers clamps cannot be got here in Ireland from VW UK due to some new law about metals etc no idea ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. So had to source bits from Germany instead.
For me it’s a huge upgrades as these options were not possible to order for me from factory here in Ireland and they are Climatronic conversion and Webasto parking heater installation with remote and additional roof panel .

All working great just now need to get my fancy black/brushed alu trims installed to finnish it all nicely.

IMG_4907.jpeg

IMG_4941.jpeg

IMG_4939.jpeg

IMG_4940.jpeg

IMG_4921.jpeg

IMG_4265.jpeg

IMG_4260.jpeg

IMG_4244.jpeg

IMG_3839.jpeg

Ok so the above idea is scrapped and had to go and try different things and managed to get it working today but at a cost of messing up my light sign recognition and lane assist which I’m not 100% sure how that happened as it seems my basic settings got somehow erased.

So trip to vw required but not for another week as the technician in charge of these calibrations is away so won’t know if that was caused by new slipring or me directly

I’ll know in 2 weeks time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 213974

View attachment 213975
Hi, can you share some details on how you are controlling your heated steering wheel please

Hi, can you share some details on how you are controlling your heated steering wheel please
Hi Pauly

Via switch on the wheel or the screen.
I used the canbus based slipring for it as the linbus one is not possible to get working. Our vans don’t have required linbus signal for it to communicate.
I installed different stalks too at the same time but that’s not trully necessary if you don’t have a problem slightly adjusting the slipring to fit nicely over the original ones. Two extra wires for canbus, power and ground for wheel heat + wire with adapter for key detection from ignition as mine is dsg so without it I kept getting dings on dash and error message. Quick vcds coding and done happy days.

Hi Pauly

Via switch on the wheel or the screen.
I used the canbus based slipring for it as the linbus one is not possible to get working. Our vans don’t have required linbus signal for it to communicate.
I installed different stalks too at the same time but that’s not trully necessary if you don’t have a problem slightly adjusting the slipring to fit nicely over the original ones. Two extra wires for canbus, power and ground for wheel heat + wire with adapter for key detection from ignition as mine is dsg so without it I kept getting dings on dash and error message. Quick vcds coding and done happy days.
What steering wheel did you use ?
I have fitted a golf 8 wheel and slip ring to mine so I have power to the heating on the wheel passing through but would like to be able to get integrate the controls if poss ?

My wheel is 3G0419089DL (ACC, heating and paddles)
Slipring 5Q0953569B (2 wire canbus comms) (549 won’t work due to single linbus wire comms required which Transporter doesn’t support)

Been working on custom footwell lights for my van and finally got them installed and currently testing white/white combination. Dimm white with instruments and bright white with door/unlock activation. I had these made for my caddy but the T6.1 wiring setup is different so had to redesign the pcb for it. I’m very happy how they are and work so far . Next is to install door pocket lights.

IMG_6390.jpeg

VIDEO: T6.1 Footwell Lights

Back