squeaky pop top

Lee

T6 Pro
Has anyone had this with their pop top, the pop top is down and secured, when driving there is a large squeaky sound, no doubt the sound of fabric rubbing.

Is that normal? I have a sky line roof: VW Campervan Poptop Elevating Roofs from Skyline Roofs

It is a bit hit and miss, sometimes after putting it down its fine, more often than not though it annoyingly squeaky.

Might give them a call tomorrow, just wondered if others have that roof, if they've noticed the same thing?

Has anyone had this with their pop top, the pop top is down and secured, when driving there is a large squeaky sound, no doubt the sound of fabric rubbing.

Is that normal? I have a sky line roof: VW Campervan Poptop Elevating Roofs from Skyline Roofs

It is a bit hit and miss, sometimes after putting it down its fine, more often than not though it annoyingly squeaky.

Might give them a call tomorrow, just wondered if others have that roof, if they've noticed the same thing?
I had the same on a Reimo , did my head in when driving ... I ended up wedging the bed when down to stop it , gladly sold it now .

A cheap and simple starting place is to rub some silicone (floor?) wax on the rubber trim where it touches the paintwork.

Lee , we have a skyline pop top , and we had a small squeak too but not overly loud
Do you have the sliding cover fitted if so it was the catch on the cover where the cover meets the latch rubbing together ... metal on metal
I put a small bit of plastic tape on the latch and it did the trick
Otherwise not sure what it is
Mark

A cheap and simple starting place is to rub some silicone (floor?) wax on the rubber trim where it touches the paintwork.
No issue with squeaks or rattles from my SCA roof. However, if it has been closed up for a while the rubber does sometime stick to the paintwork a bit - was thinking of applying some vaseline to it but silicone wax might be better??

OK, small warning for those thinking of using silicone wax.. Bodyshops HATE with a passion silicone..

It causes reaction when painting, and NOT just in that area where it was applied. Over time it will work its way into the paint.

Problems come when you prep for paint, you spread it around in the process, so if you do use it, do so sparingly, and tell any repairers where you have applied it, so that they can decontaminate the area before prep for paint..

You will be fine .... until you start putting stuff in the units , then the noises start lol. My old T4 was mental when loaded.
We've got the storage down to a fine art... we take everything out of the cupboards :)

Lee , we have a skyline pop top , and we had a small squeak too but not overly loud
Do you have the sliding cover fitted if so it was the catch on the cover where the cover meets the latch rubbing together ... metal on metal
Mark

Funnily enough yes, I do have that sliding cover, it wasn't fitted the same time as the roof, I got in touch and ordered it from Skyline and had a local guy fit it. I don't think its the latch though, my latch is at the front of the sliding panel, this sound appear all along the left hand side, not a small isolated squeak. That said, I'm gonna have another look at it now.

Last edited:
OK, small warning for those thinking of using silicone wax.. Bodyshops HATE with a passion silicone..

It causes reaction when painting, and NOT just in that area where it was applied. Over time it will work its way into the paint.

Problems come when you prep for paint, you spread it around in the process, so if you do use it, do so sparingly, and tell any repairers where you have applied it, so that they can decontaminate the area before prep for paint..

Good advice. :thumbsup:

This is one of my big fears with a conversion. I have a real issue with Squeaks and rattles.

To be honest, its super quiet everywhere else, I joked about taking everything out but thats essentially just from the little cupboards above the window. As long as everything is packed it nicely, tea towels to dampen pans, grills etc. Then yes, everything is pretty smooth, just that bloody roof :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark

Pretty sure its not the issue but we do have a memory foam mattress kept up top at all times, it came with the conversion, they mentioned at the time that it can stay up top to save on storage, do you have a memory foam and do you keep it in the roof?

Has anyone heard of 'Krypton GPL 105', just watched this video and wondered if that might do the trick:

Pretty sure its not the issue but we do have a memory foam mattress kept up top at all times, it came with the conversion, they mentioned at the time that it can stay up top to save on storage, do you have a memory foam and do you keep it in the roof?
Hi Lee
Yes we do it was part of the skyline deal to include the mattress
Never had a problem with it . Just got to make sure it's sat square and not puckered up when you lower the roof
Early day for us only had the camper since May but all good so far

Found out what the issue was with my noisy roof, it was the skyline roof cover I had fitted, the rails that the cover slides on were running against the canvas, they have since changed the rails to aluminium ones, I haven't fitted them yet but they are meant to solve the issues.

Being new to the VW campervan world I have a 2016, low milage T6 that's been converted to a very high spec fitted with a Reimo Easy Fit roof and it squeaks all the time, not sure ho, if at all normal this is (if it is normal it's not, in my opiunion a very good design)?
Please can anyoneelse advise and if you know of it is there any video info on what is and what isn't normal regards roof squeaks|?

I've got a skyline and only noticed a very slight squeak when the roof hasn't been pulled down tight enough. I don't have the cover fitted. Luckily used to driving a rattle wagon of a transit so the occasional squeak, clanging pan or Tabasco bottle rolling around isn't an issue.

Back