Pop top squeak

8APS

VIP Member
Hello everyone, quick question regarding pop top squeaking whilst driving/manoeuvring. It’s definitely the rubber seal that’s squeaking. I have managed to tighten the pop top down more secure(as there is a knack to that) I have tried Mr Sheen on the roof where it sits and also on the rubber but to NO avail. Then tried Vaseline on the seal and again to NO avail. So now I have polished the roof and used dry lube on the seal . Does it get better with age and use or is it something that we have to live with‍♂️¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Many thanks

Don’t put Vaseline or any other petroleum product on the EPDM rubber seal, it will perish the rubber.
Only use silicone grease.
More than likely it is the bed board or piano hinge which is creaking. It’s a case of locating the point that‘s making the noise and putting some rubber strip to prevent it.

Don’t put Vaseline or any other petroleum product on the EPDM rubber seal, it will perish the rubber.
Only use silicone grease.
More than likely it is the bed board or piano hinge which is creaking. It’s a case of locating the point that‘s making the noise and putting some rubber strip to prevent it.
Many thanks for the swift reply and your advice. I did clean off all the Vaseline from the seal already. It’s definitely not the bed board or piano hinge as you can get the noise on standing on step ladders by trying to move the pop top and it’s just sounds like rubber squeaking so I shall try some silicone grease

Many thanks for the swift reply and your advice. I did clean off all the Vaseline from the seal already. It’s definitely not the bed board or piano hinge as you can get the noise on standing on step ladders by trying to move the pop top and it’s just sounds like rubber squeaking so I shall try some silicone grease
It could be the frame moving in the roof. If the fitter has been mean with the sealant/adhesive, the whole frame could be fretting in the roof cutout.

Silicone grease won’t lubricate any better than the Vaseline, it just won’t rot the rubber.
The squeak is elsewhere I think, perhaps as @Salty Spuds says, but let’s hope not.

Check that the brackets at the rear haven’t moved ie the fixing bolts haven’t come slightly loose. One of mine did and was causing the rubber on metal squeaks like you’ve mentioned.

Maybe try some weatherproof foam tape in the areas you think it’s squeaking if it persists. Something like this sourcingmap Sealing Foam Tape 12mm Wide 2mm Thick 5m/16.4ft Long, Self Adhesive Weather Strip for Window Door Insulation, Yellow Black https://amzn.eu/d/dZeA8vX

Check that the brackets at the rear haven’t moved ie the fixing bolts haven’t come slightly loose. One of mine did and was causing the rubber on metal squeaks like you’ve mentioned.

Maybe try some weatherproof foam tape in the areas you think it’s squeaking if it persists. Something like this sourcingmap Sealing Foam Tape 12mm Wide 2mm Thick 5m/16.4ft Long, Self Adhesive Weather Strip for Window Door Insulation, Yellow Black https://amzn.eu/d/dZeA8vX
Thank you so much for the top tip I suppose wherever rubber and metal meet then you are always going to get a little squeaks here and there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back