Surprise, surprise - 2 x Leaky sliders on my twin slider Kombi.
Replaced by VW dealer under warranty on 28 March. Collected van same day but the window fitter (National Windscreens or some other charlatan) had scratched paint around both windows, dented the door, scratched door at waist height, got black bonding/sealant all over paint work, broke 3 out of the 4 internal trims and sliced through my door seal. Clearly VW hadn't checked the workmanship!:mad:

VW dealer agreed to rectify it all but didn't know how to proceed. Weeks go by and they finally they agreed to take to local VW approved body shop.

Took van back to VW on 8 May and given a brand new Kombi courtesy van. Ironically body shop needed to take out the windows to repaint and put right the damage :speechless:. After further ridiculous communication failures by VW I went to the body shop myself to find out what was happening. They had only been asked to quote for a fraction of the actual work required/agreed :(. Body shop were told to only do drivers side window scratches and none of the other dents/scratches/window - body shop found that drivers window had been so badly installed it virtually fell out :mad:. Not only that the 'VW APPROVED' window fitter had deliberately blocked the window drain holes with bonding/sealant - DICK!
Blew my top at VW and in the end they told body shop to do everything including replacing both windows. Passenger side window was fitted as badly as the drivers side with drain holes deliberately blocked too!

Then all went quiet again, days passed and no updates whatsoever! Back to VW again - clueless! Lost count of how many times I've been told I'm getting my van back and it not turning up! Turns out the body shop is being shafted by VW and they've been backed into a corner. VW have also been arguing with window fitters who wont stump up costs for damage and refitting windows. Also, they wanted to refit the same windows, after picking out the sealant from the bunged up drain holes - WTF!!!

Me v VW again round 12 or something like that... Let rip at Business Manager/Head of Business or some such $hit! I think I'm banned (no great loss to be honest:rofl::laugh::rofl:). I told VW that I don't want the original window fitting company anywhere near my van and certainly wont accept the same windows. Body shop have also been supporting me and telling VW its not acceptable to do what they're trying get away with. Body shop wont release the bodged windows! :D

So, 5 weeks to the day and I've still got their brand new van, now with 1200miles on it and no sign of my van being returned... yet. Last I heard from body shop is that the bill is £2500k and I'm not paying a penny of it. I've got over the stress and anger and now its just become laughable.

So, for those entering into a battle over leaky sliders, you've been warned!!!

Wow, what a nightmare. Whilst that is shocking, in another way it is not shocking at all, which I think is the sadest part. I hope you get the van back all fixed soon. Serve VW papers on how much you are going to be charging them per day for everyday that they now fail to return your vehicle, as it is beyond all reasonable timeframes for such work to be concluded.

I would take the opportunity to cruise the NC500 to relieve the stress, and do your best to put at least 5k on their vehicle. Have you looked into making a few quid via Uber?

VW seem to take delight in damaging your treasured vehicles. Jobs are rushed through the workshop and nobody gives a toss as long as it is done quickly. Most people are too timid to complain or just don't care as it may be a company vehicle.

The staff turnover at the local vwcv dealer is phenomenal. There is a decent bloke on the service desk but all the rest, particularly in sales, change almost weekly.

Hats off to the bodyshop, who have no doubt earned their reputation and are not about to sell-out to keep VAG happy.

VW vans have become a victim of their own success by selling that many Transporters over the past few years they just don’t care about the quality of the Vans anymore or the customers as another will be along in a matter of minutes.

Mine was scratched too! The rubber trims at the rear edge of the window don't fit properly because the window fitters didn't do a great job! I really am wondering about VW?:thumbsdown:

.... damn .. all these problems of assembly and more ... I wonder if the Germans have an eye for you .... to send you all these defective vehicles ... sorry but it 'my opinion. ..

Which VW dealer is this ?
Would like to know so that I can ensure I never give them any of my business in future.

Thanks,

Pete

I wonder if any of these people that you are dealing with are actually employed by VW, most dealerships are just franchises so doing the right thing is not top of anybody's list. Might be worth a call to VW and ask them if they can help. Outsourcing does not work.
Baz

It all sounds very familiar- i bought a new T5 when they came out in 2004. The van was bad, but the dealer was astonishingly bad. In 3 years, they had my van for 42 days. This was a set up called Nottingham Van Centre. Eventually VW closed them down.

Recent problems with Imperial Commercials at Nottingham have brought memories of those dark days flooding back, although VW customer services seem to have got their act together, even if the dealers haven't, and a manager there seems to be sorting things out.

For the problems with the first T5 mentioned, i did eventually get £900 compensation, but even that was hard fought for as i resisted their attempts to give it me in accessories to the value of, and spend it it paying for services.

I am speaking with VW today about all the things wrong with the van since it went in to have window replaced. Biggest thing to note here is them leaving in the blue packers that I can't get out and the fact that they only replaced the sliding door window and the other one was leaking but they claim this was cleaned and is no longer leaking! We shall see when it rains! There are also clips missing out the inside of window, they have wrecked my meatball pressed number plate at the rear and cracked my top breaklight. I will let you all know what VW say but I have had no response from the dealership yet!

So far so good with mine they changed out both windows I tested with hose for about half an hour.

It would seem that they have either used a cowboy window fitting outfit or on of their techs fancies himself as as window fitter make sure you also raise the issue with VW customer care as they will also push for resolution, tell them the one they cleaned is still leaking as they clean the seals first to see if it resolves it if not then they replace.

Good luck

I am speaking with VW today about all the things wrong with the van since it went in to have window replaced. Biggest thing to note here is them leaving in the blue packers that I can't get out and the fact that they only replaced the sliding door window and the other one was leaking but they claim this was cleaned and is no longer leaking! We shall see when it rains! There are also clips missing out the inside of window, they have wrecked my meatball pressed number plate at the rear and cracked my top breaklight. I will let you all know what VW say but I have had no response from the dealership yet!
It saddens me that there’s institutions, companies and individuals in our world, that quite frankly don’t give a flying about the quality and professionalism to the services that they offer, and we pay for. It’s wrong, it’s unfair, but it happens in all walks of life. Slackness & laziness are all too apparent I’m afraid.

I really hope you get this sorted soon.

Apologies for my little rant. Only I spend most of my working life righting other peoples cr*p. And it galls me somewhat.

It's weird how only some vans are affected? I open the offside window every day in this weather, I drive to work, leave it open all day in a dusty yard and then drive home where I close it again. No leaks from either side of mine, even when I jet wash the van.

It's weird how only some vans are affected? I open the offside window every day in this weather, I drive to work, leave it open all day in a dusty yard and then drive home where I close it again. No leaks from either side of mine, even when I jet wash the van.

This is the weirdest thing, only started after I had the van about 12 months and only when it rains nor when jetwashed to start with, then gradually got worse!

This is the weirdest thing, only started after I had the van about 12 months and only when it rains nor when jetwashed to start with, then gradually got worse!
If they get wind of this then I would imagine they will try and lay the blame with you, saying that you don’t maintain them / use them enough / some other excuse.

From all of the comments above it seems that after 15 years (T5 introduced in 2003) VW still won't admit that the problem is NOT the window seals but the drain system. I've had three T5s and a T6, all have had leaking windows to some extent, some have had windows changed under warranty. The T6 will be going back to the dealers when I return from holiday for the same problem.

If you investigate this problem thoroughly you will find that by pouring water down the drain hole(s) it often comes out inside the door not outside. (I've done this carefully using a mastic tube nozzle fitted into the drain hole.) This is because the two portions of the drain system are not properly bonded together. I've even sent video to VW of this happening and shown a dealer exactly as described above with the lower cover removed. He was astounded to see the water come out on the inside of the door!

Don't forget there are two drain holes per window, the rear one is out of sight under the centre divide.

Re the damage caused by dealers changing windows, yes I have experienced that as well so take lots of pictures before you let them lose on your van!

Rod

So VW called me yesterday and said that the dealership wouldn't except responsibility for the 'alledged' damage! I explained I am not after money and it's a principal thing and I just want an apology and the tabs removing for the window! I also explained the I was concerned that the other window will leak as soon as it rained and didn't want this hassle again so asked VW to assure me that if it did it would be covered under warranty and I could just take it to another dealership to be done. I have sent VW the video I took the morning I handed the van over (in anticipation of anything like this happening).
The dealership have said as a 'good will gesture!' They would replace my number plate (big of them considering it will cost them about a fiver!) but would not accept liability for the brake light!
VW have said that they will be speaking to the dealership again after viewing my video where it is clear the damage wasn't there! I will let you know where this goes but until them I have two blue tabs sticking out from sliding door window and a cracked brake light and damaged number Plate!

So VW called me yesterday and said that the dealership wouldn't except responsibility for the 'alledged' damage! I explained I am not after money and it's a principal thing and I just want an apology and the tabs removing for the window! I also explained the I was concerned that the other window will leak as soon as it rained and didn't want this hassle again so asked VW to assure me that if it did it would be covered under warranty and I could just take it to another dealership to be done. I have sent VW the video I took the morning I handed the van over (in anticipation of anything like this happening).
The dealership have said as a 'good will gesture!' They would replace my number plate (big of them considering it will cost them about a fiver!) but would not accept liability for the brake light!
VW have said that they will be speaking to the dealership again after viewing my video where it is clear the damage wasn't there! I will let you know where this goes but until them I have two blue tabs sticking out from sliding door window and a cracked brake light and damaged number Plate!

So they’ll speak to the dealership about damage to several places yet will only replace your numberplate?

Talk about being contradictory. It’s like they’re admitting fault and denying fault all in the same argument.

Back