I Have now stated my case with VW customer service regarding the water ingress issue from the defective sliding windows and they have actively asked me to book the van in with VW van service centre for the inspection , I have told them That I would like them replaced for fixed glass window replacements to eliminate future water ingress before I start to do custom work , so I'll see how things go as the warranty is still valid along with my claim .

Not sure if this is the same issue being experienced but....I took a look at my slider mechanism as the window didn't appear to be locking shut properly. Turns out the bottom wire within the mechanism doesn't quite make it into the lower runner hole when slamming the window. If I push the bottom corner of the window (from inside the van) outward and forward the wire does then click into the runner hole . The window seal is then working properly and the glass is all flush on the outside.

The main issue is not with the slider window or mechanism for most leaks. The biggest cause and the reason the windows are replaced under warranty is that the top and bottom rails which are bonded to the main glass of the window fail, the bonding coming away from the glass and or the rail, allowing water from outside straight in.
The sliding window does accumulate dirt in its runners and theirs can make the window stiff to close, a good clean and a silicone spray may help?

The main issue is not with the slider window or mechanism for most leaks. The biggest cause and the reason the windows are replaced under warranty is that the top and bottom rails which are bonded to the main glass of the window fail, the bonding coming away from the glass and or the rail, allowing water from outside straight in.
The sliding window does accumulate dirt in its runners and theirs can make the window stiff to close, a good clean and a silicone spray may help?

Can you repair it yourself do you think? I'd rather do that than go anywhere near my dealer

If the van is still under warranty then it’s best to take it to the dealer. But just cleaning the slider and grooves is simple enough to do.

Mine is the same. Caravelle MY2017 33000KM. Out of warranty (1 mounth) and it start to leak.
VW ispector want to replace the window and charge me 340€ for that.
I don't want to pay. I don't need the slide window so I want to seal it for my own.

What product can I use?

If the van is still under warranty then it’s best to take it to the dealer. But just cleaning the slider and grooves is simple enough to do.

I'll do whatever I can to avoid the dealer up here...mine's only a tiny bit of moisture under the tray every now and again, so I'll just keep a watch on it.

If the window is leaking because of the fault in the rail bonding, then just sealing the sliding window won’t stop the leaks. The water will still get in through the bonding from outside the main glazing.

Good News , I made my case to customer service regarding the leaking and corroded windows and then booked it into a VW garage for a inspection and one technician said a straight replacement was required and hey presto ! the following Friday , both were replaced and I now have leak free T6 , and I am very pleased with the service I have received from VW . Last nights rain was more than a test for any leaks to have occurred and I am bone dry :thumbsup:

Good News , I made my case to customer service regarding the leaking and corroded windows and then booked it into a VW garage for a inspection and one technician said a straight replacement was required and hey presto ! the following Friday , both were replaced and I now have leak free T6 , and I am very pleased with the service I have received from VW . Last nights rain was more than a test for any leaks to have occurred and I am bone dry :thumbsup:
That’s great news and seems that VW are finally realising that there is a bigger issue... hopefully some less helpful dealers will start to be more helpful!

As an additional note , just before the decision was made to just go ahead and replace the windows , the techs were saying they have a chemical compound that revitalises the foam rubber seal , like it makes it puff up back to it's original state when it was new , because the seals get used to being in the closed state of the window and flatten off and weathered .
I think it was called something like ' Crysotech ' or something like that so that could be a fix that is needed for some minor leaking ..

As an additional note , just before the decision was made to just go ahead and replace the windows , the techs were saying they have a chemical compound that revitalises the foam rubber seal , like it makes it puff up back to it's original state when it was new , because the seals get used to being in the closed state of the window and flatten off and weathered .
I think it was called something like ' Crysotech ' or something like that so that could be a fix that is needed for some minor leaking ..
I was told that WD40 would achieve this, too.

Hi all

Van went in to garage for side window leak, they said it was just blocked weep holes so all good I'm hoping

Didn't notice till this morning, there was a piece of trim in the back. It looks like it's been left off and sits under the bottom of the window. Quick question before I start pushing, riving and tearing, does it just simply push in as noticed there are small plastic lugs both sides of the trim running full length and guessing by the looks they could easily snap off

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• window trim.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 48
We had a hell of a storm this evening whilst out in the van. The kids suddenly noticed water pouring down the inside of the opening mechanism of the n/s sliding window. We were parked up so when the rain stopped, I jumped out and had a look. I couldn’t see any water pooling above it, and the door seal was dry, so no idea where the water was getting in from.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Has anybody got the sliding windows and not had leaks? I need some reassurance before I spec them!

As I said in other post. I have seen many that leak, I’ve pointed this out to many customers who actually have not noticed, but the water damage evidence is there. I guess there are some which don’t. Cleaning the seals may also help.

If you can, just spec a panel van and have aftermarket windows fitted.

All the best:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’ve got factory windows and never had issues with leaks. It’s a window van though, not a Kombi but I assume it’s the same window unit.

Back