Sliding seats / bed

GoatBoater

Senior Nerd
T6 Guru
Van now purchased, so it's time start thinking seriously about the conversion.

We want a sliding seat/bed system. Although they're pricey. we're reasonably convinced this will give us the flexibility we want. As far as I can tell, the main options are :
  • California rails and seats
  • A system like Uberflux from Uberbus using Rib seats on rails
Couple of questions:
  1. Does anyone have experience of both and able to add any comparison thoughts?
  2. Uberbus publish their prices, but I haven't found guide prices for the Cali seat approach
  3. Planning to talk to Uberbus, and Oxford motorhomes seem to get lots of recommendations too. I'm Hampshire based - anyone have suggestions for other converters worth talking too? (Celtic Motorhomes have been highly recommended to me for Cali seats/rails, but possibly out of range)
Thanks

We're planning to do exactly the same, but haven't got round to visiting either Oxford T5 or Uberbus yet. As far as my research goes the down side with VW rails is the cost of seats & multiflex board and necessity of mattress topper; the down side with Uberbus is that, as far as I know, a full width seat/bed system isn't available (and crash tested) yet.

Will post updates as soon as I know more.

We're planning to do exactly the same, but haven't got round to visiting either Oxford T5 or Uberbus yet. As far as my research goes the down side with VW rails is the cost of seats & multiflex board and necessity of mattress topper; the down side with Uberbus is that, as far as I know, a full width seat/bed system isn't available (and crash tested) yet.

Will post updates as soon as I know more.

Uberbus do have the 3 seat version available now I think. Not cheap though (and then no room for cupboards). We're planning on having 2 seat + low cupboards so that we can sprawl over them and go full width! (uberbus beach style Beach - UBERBUS - VW Camper Conversions - VW T5 T6 transporter camper conversions ). Possibly a single higher unit for doing stuff at.

necessity of mattress topper

Isthis still needed on the rib seats? Some people say not

Celtic motorhomes well worth the journey.... I've got the Cali on rails in my Celtic conversion :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Our conversion is by Camper King (near Stratford), including a RIB on sliders, and we're really pleased with it (and them).

Kiravans seem to do one or two with sliders, if you're just buying to fit yourself, and I've found them to be a good company:

RIB Altair Seats | Kiravans

I've fitted a couple of California beds and (non sliding) RIB beds. In my opinion there is no comparison between the quality and engineering put into the Cali sliding seat. The drawer and cubby holes either side are really handy and you can take the rear shelf out, push the seat all the way forwards and carry something big in the back, if needed.
I'll try and post some photo's so that you can have a look.

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

CMC-Reimo in Hythe supply and fit a range of Reimo seat/beds on rails. I don't think you need a full conversion just the bits you want.

Our conversion is by Camper King (near Stratford), including a RIB on sliders, and we're really pleased with it (and them).

Kiravans seem to do one or two with sliders, if you're just buying to fit yourself, and I've found them to be a good company:

RIB Altair Seats | Kiravans

How far does the RIB travel on the rails please? The spec indicates 200mm movement.

CMC-Reimo in Hythe supply and fit a range of Reimo seat/beds on rails. I don't think you need a full conversion just the bits you want.

Well worth checking the Reimo bed options.
They also have the advantage if being a bit lower than the RIB so you can put your feet on the floor and not bang your head on the roof.

200mm sounds about right. We've found that if you move the seats too far forward (to give more boot space), the seatbelts don't retract properly. Only an issue if you've got people in the back, of course.

Ours has a California seat on rails - it is very nice indeed to be able to pull the seat forward either for travel, or for getting it close to the front seats at feeding time. Have speaks with Exploria in Brighouse in Yorkshire.

Ours has a California seat on rails - it is very nice indeed to be able to pull the seat forward either for travel, or for getting it close to the front seats at feeding time. Have speaks with Exploria in Brighouse in Yorkshire.
I've called Exploria a few times but there's been no reply. I'll try again next week. Do they supply and fit / supply only. Any idea on prices please?

I've fitted a couple of California beds and (non sliding) RIB beds. In my opinion there is no comparison between the quality and engineering put into the Cali sliding seat. The drawer and cubby holes either side are really handy and you can take the rear shelf out, push the seat all the way forwards and carry something big in the back, if needed.
I'll try and post some photo's so that you can have a look.

Do you know whether the Cali T5 bed is the same as used in the T6? Did you fit them yourself? Where did you source them from please? Prices?

I think they are slightly different...... the new T6 Cali has fold down headrests rather than having to take them out when the bed goes down

Thanks guys, I'm looking to source a bed so wanted to understand the T5/6 differences. I'll be ringing round next week.

Back