Sliding seats / bed

Sorry to bring up an old thread but how did everyone get on with the various seat options they went with? Any feedback after a year of use?

We've had our van two years now, and thus far have nothing but positive comment on the VW Cali seat/bed. Having used it as a passenger I can report that while it's not quite as comfortable or supportive as the rear seat in a car (how could it be? It has to be virtually flat in bed mode!) it's more than acceptable.

How anyone can travel any distance in a seat fixed right at the back of the van is beyond me. Having it fully forward on its rails makes it pretty much like a car, so you can talk to the folk in the front seats, and they to you. You see out the windows too! And unlike most of the other alternatives, having your feet on the floor is nice. As indeed is having acceptable head-room.

Thus far, we've never needed to remove it for load-carrying, but on the one time it was helpful to have a bigger load space at the back, being able to move it forward was helpful. The drawer under the seat is very useful indeed! Our table stows in the seat back recess, with a removable support attached to the front of the seat - this is superb, and we can't see how having the table attached to the units can be a practical option.

Overall it was worth every penny.

Last edited:
We've had our van two years now, and thus far have nothing but positive comment on the VW Cali seat/bed. Having used it as a passenger I can report that while it's not quite as comfortable or supportive as the rear seat in a car (how could it be? It has to be virtually flat in bed mode!) it's more than acceptable.

How anyone can travel any distance in a seat fixed right at the back of the van is beyond me. Having it fully forward on its rails makes it pretty much like a car, so you can talk to the folk in the front seats, and they to you. You see out the windows too! And unlike most of the other alternatives, having your feet on the floor is nice. As indeed is having acceptable head-room.

Thus far, we've never needed to remove it for load-carrying, but on the one time it was helpful to have a bigger load space at the back, being able to move it forward was helpful. The drawer under the seat is very useful indeed! Our table stows in the seat back recess, with a removable support attached to the front of the seat - this is superb, and we can't see how having the table attached to the units can be a practical option.

Overall it was worth every penny.
Hi there,
who fitted your Cali bed & rails?
Thanks

We're planning to do exactly the same, but haven't got round to visiting either Oxford T5 or Uberbus yet. As far as my research goes the down side with VW rails is the cost of seats & multiflex board and necessity of mattress topper; the down side with Uberbus is that, as far as I know, a full width seat/bed system isn't available (and crash tested) yet.

Will post updates as soon as I know more.
Or, you could speak with Richard at Kernow Transporters. I got Cali seats, VW rails, made 2 frames for the bed extension and will use a slimline inflatable mattress......approx £2500-£3000, fitted myself. Just an idea but really pleased I went with sliding rail system.

We love our rail system. It’s transported motorcycles, been a 7 seater, and currently has the caravelle full width (5 foot) triple seat sliding bed. We are currently trying to use the rotating Driver/pass seats as the bed head, which gives a fantastic space at the back of the van for the dressing room. The VW rock n roll is top quality, but you need a forklift or strong fit people to remove/fit it. The single seats are ok for 1 strong person. So whilst versatile, the sliding bit is great for day to day once you have your configuration sorted. Once removed, you still have to find somewhere to store it and it weighs a ton. There are so many pods that bolt in it’s unreal.

Our new T6.1 150DSG is finally ready for delivery to go straight into the conversion process.

We are struggling to make a decision on the rear seating - options are - Smart Bed (some new gas assistance rock and roll bed) which sits on rails, a standard rock and roll bed or stick with the RIB.

Initially we were very sold on the smart bed with the rails but I don’t think there is enough justification for the extra £600 for how much we would use the rails. Plus everyone recommends the RIB for comfort and additional safety but as it’s a SWB it does take up more space.

Recommendations from experience, greatly appreciated

Thanks

Back