Owners with young kids. Sliding or fixed seats? Why?

Petelwb

Hi All,

we are about to buy a LWB T6 and have it converted. We are pretty much set on the fact we want sliding seat rails fitted in the back but wondering people’s thoughts.

We have a 3 year old and an 8 month old and we figured having the seats on rails would be better for travelling with kids as we could have the seats right up behind us With luggage and camping stuff behind them. Seems to make the van a bit more versatile.

it Makes so much sense to us we can’t understand why everyone Doesn’t put in the sliding seats. So I figured I’d ask.

parents of young kids, or anyone, that made the choice to go for or not to go for sliding seats over a normal fixed rock n roll bed.
Why did you make your decision?
Do you wish you did have sliding seats if you chose not to?
Do you see any benefit in practice or do you just tend to leave them in the same place all the time?

would really help to understand as (apart from the cost) I can’t see why the sliding seats aren’t more common.

cheers,

pete

We went for a Kombi for exactly that reason. Plenty of solutions out there now that make a good sleeping platform. We saw the rock & roll seat / bed as a compromise of both, though each to his or her own.

To be honest it’s mainly the cost of installation that puts people off the sliding seats.
I have the Reimo sliding rail and it is excellent. Not just for kids but also travelling with adults is much more comfortable on a journey. With a fixed rock and roll bed at the back the passengers are a long way from the front seats.
Sliding the seat forward makes it much more car like.
When we have camped with four adults I find it easier to slide the seat forward for the journey which leaves masses of boot space for the awning and bags. On arrival put up the awning, slide the seat back and have lots of space in the van.
Then there is the versatility of the van being able to slide the seat forward for cargo trips or back for day picnics.
The Reimo seats also take kids seats which sounds like a must for you.
However, some of the sliding seat combinations and pop tops can have limited headroom and seat bases are so high even adult feet are left swinging off the floor. There are a few threads on the forum about this.
The Reimo Variotech with power rail bonded floor also has to be fitted by qualified installers and not all of them will do a secondhand van.

We have young kids (8 and 10) and we wouldn’t be without the sliding seats for versatility!

I have the Reimo Variotech system with bonded rails, and agree with all the benefits @Farnorthsurfer mentioned. It moves very easily with a simple lever at the front, no crawling around to undo locking bolts. I am fairly short in the leg and it isn’t too high for me, but I have tried a few other manufacturers that are way too high. It’s clear underneath, so you can put long things or other luggage under it and still slide it. There are also multiple lock off points, and you can slide it right to the front or the back for carrying cargo. Three panel bed, so you sleep on the opposite side to the seats (flat and comfy). Even in the 1155mm wide version it has three seats and seatbelts. It is possible (but heavy) to take out completely. Downside - one of the most expensive options.

I ended up with this one because Yo-Yo Glidemotion no longer did LWB rails, and Titan refused to install them on a 4Motion. The SmartBed Evolution 2 has a nice rail system, but is a 4 panel bed frame which is very long front to back in the seating configuration, wasting some of the space you would gain.

Slightly off topic about the Reimo Variotech (we have the 1250). I have taken it out of the van on a few occasions when I wanted the load space in my LWB. On about the third occasion I realised that the seat base and the parcel shelf quickly unclip from the frame and the back folds down. It’s still quite chunky but like this I managed to take it out solo.
Sure people smarter than me did this the first time :D

Slightly off topic about the Reimo Variotech (we have the 1250). I have taken it out of the van on a few occasions when I wanted the load space in my LWB. On about the third occasion I realised that the seat base and the parcel shelf quickly unclip from the frame and the back folds down. It’s still quite chunky but like this I managed to take it out solo.
Sure people smarter than me did this the first time :D
Nope, I didn’t figure out the seat base part till after I put it back in, and I even saw them install it at the factory!

I have put a fixed rear bench in my SWB , I have found no need for more room with this set up, I can see the appeal for the slider but with a LWB i'm not sure you would need it

We are considering a Fabworx bed or a setup from a California. We are concerned regarding the headroom on the Fabworx bed but know that the California should be fine. I'm 6ft2. Anyone had any experience with the Fabworx bed and headroom.

Ideally we are after a sliding bed 130cm long.

Back