A&A

Hello all on t6forum.

Recently bought a used t6 Kombi (& love it) with cotrim lining in the back - link below shows on their website (ABS lining bottom right pic)

Transporter Kombi
Key-feature-T6-Kombi-conversion-triple-second-row--ABS-lining-kit-to-sides-5.jpg
Looks great but when opening side sliding door the small (hard plastic) pocket on the left scratches the wheel arch, I have since removed the pocket but the trim is still very close to the body work when opening.
I wandered if anyone here had experienced similar or know wether there is an adjustment on the door to move slightly away from body work?

ps. I got most of the scratch off with wd40 & then wax but still shows a bit, i was going to get some t-cut & try that...any suggestions

Kind regards. Andy

I had the same after ply lining and carpeting. I took off the ply and found some more holes in the door metalwork (close to the center) and drilled the ply and fixed to those as well. It was hard to push the ply in and fix but it pulled it in another 5mm.

Some companies (like Absolut5) have the door panel with a recess to avoid scratching the metalwork and dirtying the carpet

Hello all on t6forum.

Recently bought a used t6 Kombi (& love it) with cotrim lining in the back - link below shows on their website (ABS lining bottom right pic)

Transporter Kombi
View attachment 38694
Looks great but when opening side sliding door the small (hard plastic) pocket on the left scratches the wheel arch, I have since removed the pocket but the trim is still very close to the body work when opening.
I wandered if anyone here had experienced similar or know wether there is an adjustment on the door to move slightly away from body work?

ps. I got most of the scratch off with wd40 & then wax but still shows a bit, i was going to get some t-cut & try that...any suggestions

Kind regards. Andy

Hello Andy, welcome to the forum.

This thread will give you some advice on how you can adjust the slider so it gives the arch a little more clearance:
Sliding Door Adjustment! Built In Table

Have you got any photos of your sliding door trim-panel? I ask as I’ve got the other Dub Plastics trim kit (the arches aren’t so wide with that one, so my Cali bed can fit) and I only received a plain flat trim-panel for the slider.

I had the same when the plastic studs securing the sliding door ply panel came free.
Having a detachable table stored in the sliding door doesnt help matters due to the additional weight.
I would suggest glueing the plastic securing studs into any ply panel.

Thanks to you all for your comments.
I think I will adjust the door so its further away.

Some pics of how close it is & scratches (looked a lot worse before rubbed with WD40)
The pics show where I have removed the offending pocket.

Also I do hear good things about 'absolut5' so maybe pay them a visit at some point.
Kind regards. Andy

IMG_3961.jpeg

IMG_3962.jpeg

IMG_3960.jpeg

Thanks to you all for your comments.
I think I will adjust the door so its further away.

Some pics of how close it is & scratches (looked a lot worse before rubbed with WD40)
The pics show where I have removed the offending pocket.

Also I do hear good things about 'absolut5' so maybe pay them a visit at some point.
Kind regards. Andy

View attachment 38712

View attachment 38713

View attachment 38714

let me know how you get on with adjusting the door...I'd like to do the same

You may have to pop off the runner trim panel on the out side and pack out the runner to allow for suitable clearance. You may find that the bottom adjustment is enough as members have commented on.. only takes 1/2mm to clear.
I have had the same issue and will be having the rear arch PPF's as it still occurs depending on the tilt of the bus.

I have recently found exactly the same issue with mine. It's still panelled out until the better weather arrives but it was made worse by me parking on a slight gradient so drivers side was lower than the nearside. I realised when opening the slide door I could hear a grating sound. Thinking it was road dust / debris, I foolishly moved the door back and forth whilst looking at the bottom runner.
It was simply the weight of the side door falling against the sliders but the inner wooden panel was the culprit. There was a fair amount of slack in the runner which I thought was odd. About 10mm tbh.

I park level now. You live and learn....

I have recently found exactly the same issue with mine. It's still panelled out until the better weather arrives but it was made worse by me parking on a slight gradient so drivers side was lower than the nearside. I realised when opening the slide door I could hear a grating sound. Thinking it was road dust / debris, I foolishly moved the door back and forth whilst looking at the bottom runner.
It was simply the weight of the side door falling against the sliders but the inner wooden panel was the culprit. There was a fair amount of slack in the runner which I thought was odd. About 10mm tbh.

I park level now. You live and learn....
On you rear top roller there should be white paint line marks make sure these are still aligned. Sometimes the nut loosens and the roller can drop causing that about of play. Failing that the only 2 options are:
1.Get rollers changed incase of wear.
2. Pack out rear runner housing to accomadate the 2mm gap required.

I managed to get most of scratches out with t-cut & will ask VW to adjust the door when it goes in for next service.
In the meantime I open & shut the door very carefully.
Seems like quite a design flaw.

Thank you Fish, awesome advice. After watching your DC-DC CTEC cameo appearance it's like fraternising with the star's :thumbsup:. (I think I'm going CTEC too)

I just re-read my post and realised I didn't confirm that the wheel arch was actually being rubbed. The grating was against the paintwork. The culprit was the work car park not so much the door fitment. It's spot on when level.

Is it worth bringing the door in on the runners a bit anyway because I feel the seal could be tighter against the door frame. I don't know what you guys think but after raining, I get water dripping on the side step regularly.

Caravelle trim people.. can you compare this for me if pos? second hand clips but all on properly, loads of movement in the area thats an issue.. no blind in yet as repairing.. that wont pull it in though i can push the top in and it makes little or no difference.
im soooo close... yes its carpeted but that stuff is so thin..
Bit close for comfort tbh..

B4D5321A-76B1-4AB1-B655-F35092472BCE.jpeg

1EED399E-3D17-4319-BA8E-716CD9E08795.jpeg

CDB028E5-34B5-47D2-93F8-BA1D396EF68D.jpeg

90C1CF64-0F31-4F42-92E2-81D3961EED62.jpeg

Slacken the bolts off on the bottom roller and pull the door away from the van, you might gain a few more mm

I have a Kombi with table storage in the door, despite all the clips being in good condition the door card still came away from the door when closing.
I used HD velcro strips along with the standard clip, no further issues.

Slacken the bolts off on the bottom roller and pull the door away from the van, you might gain a few more mm
Wont that effect it on closing?, ie its position and panel alignment..
ps this van has done... 3 thou... so most studd is pristine or correct (in theory.. i have found poor factory work)

Wont that effect it on closing?, ie its position and panel alignment..
ps this van has done... 3 thou... so most studd is pristine or correct (in theory.. i have found poor factory work)
No it won’t affect the door when closed

This is how mine looks. I'd say there's about a 6-7mm gap at its tightest place. It's a bugger to photograph, but the second picture taken from behind, should show clear daylight. IMG_20200801_192712.jpg

IMG_20200801_192826.jpg

yours looks a good way off to mine...wondering if mine has sagged a bit etc..i can move it in or out at that point a bit... i may... sort something on the rear to pull it in a bit...
any more pics very much welcome to compare..

Back