Retrofitting powered Tailgate

or an

the Chinese kit seems to work and fit without modification, but not consistent at the moment not sure if it's down to the incorrect hinges or the lightweight tailgate not having glass or a wiper motor as it opens ok but doesn't quite close consistently......... watch this space
Electric tailgate hinges are very important element of this retrofit for tailgate opening but they have no effect on the closing of the tailgate.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
Electric tailgate hinges are very important element of retrofit for tailgate opening but have no effect on its closing.

Yes, I worked that out, at the moment it will open ok and not close but think this is down to the weight of the tailgate, but if I add more weight to the tailgate it shuts ok but won't open...

Yes, I worked that out, at the moment it will open ok and not close but think this is down to the weight of the tailgate, but if I add more weight to the tailgate it shuts ok but won't open...

I'm not sure how much heavier a rear wiper motor setup and the glass is than the van tailgate with nothing in but recon at least 1.5-2 kg and that seems to make a lot of difference, just don't want to damage anything by leaving the weight in and using the wrong hinges as the pivot point will make a difference.

OK the story so far, got retrofit kit from china $500 inc shipping, replaced original hinges with electric tailgate version this has helped the tailgate open better, no difference to the closing (as suggested) however this did allow me to add extra weight to the tailgate thinking this would help it close, it closes more consistently but will not latch, I am thinking I will need to add the electric soft close option to make it work, any thoughts, anyone know what parts are required for the soft close latch to work.

got my retrofit kit for the soft close on the tailgate Thanks Pauly, anyone know what wires in the roof space I need to cut into and or what I'm looking for if I need to test them to identify as I've noticed a lot of cables are just white with numbers on.

also what the pin out's are for the striker motor red white and black I think.
the ones to the roof space are black and white.

Almost there fitted everything during the storm however think one of the connectors blew away in the wind so just waiting to find out if it's replaceable, that's my impatience to blame, came home and said I'll wait till next weekend and the better weather then got bored and went out in the awful weather.

Having seen @Deaky tailgate yesterday at C&M I’ve bought the Hannshow one on this thread. They reckon 5 day delivery from China but we’ll see.

just to clarify, Deaky hasn’t got the one I’ve bought, I just liked the way his opens which is similar to this one

Last edited:
Having seen @Deaky tailgate yesterday at C&M I’ve bought the Hannshow one on this thread. They reckon 5 day delivery from China but we’ll see.

just to clarify, Deaky hasn’t got the one I’ve bought, I just liked the way his opens which is similar to this one
Do you have the soft close option?

if not you’ll also need to get that from Pauly on here
I’m not too impressed with the Hansshow kit but it does work.
Instructions are not very good, and you’ll also need the different hinges, they make a difference.

Do you have the soft close option?

if not you’ll also need to get that from Pauly on here
I’m not too impressed with the Hansshow kit but it does work.
Instructions are not very good, and you’ll also need the different hinges, they make a difference.

cheers mate, I’ll see what it’s like when it arrives. I don’t think I have the soft close

You need to apply these adaptations ---> Retro fitting powered Tailgate???

By the way, do you have tailgate switch on the drivers door? If so would you mind to confirm what functionality it has in the following 4 scenarios.

1 - opening with a short/quick pull
2 - opening with a long pull
3 - closing with a short/quick pull
4 - closing with a long pull
Anybody?
Who has electric tailgate as a factory fit option plus driver's door switch?

Last edited:
If anybody is curious what's inside OEM electric drive, have a look below.

And if you want to look even deeper, have a look below:whistle:
View attachment 56835
View attachment 56836

I was always curious what is actually inside of the electric ram.
So I kept on looking and as per the above photos and video I eventually found and got declared faulty unit.
After quick test I have discovered that this ram actually works but produces very unpleasant noise when moving the tailgate.
Dismantling of 7E5827851 unit was a bit tricky but successful. There is a gearbox between the electric motor and the driving screw.
This gearbox is a double (epicyclic gearing/planetary mechanism) made out of plastic.

One set of planetary gears (3 pieces) has failed.

20191220_144650.jpg

20191220_144737.jpg

20191220_144918.jpg

A bit of 3D printing and I am back in business ;)

20200125_184637.jpg

Reinstallation was very simple but then resealing of the metal tube was another challenge but also done successfully :)
So now I have spare, fully refurbished ram plus another spare set of gears :thumbsup:

I contacted Autoease regarding there electrical tailgate kit.
I asked if I needed to change the hinges, they said no
I asked if there kit comes with soft Close latch , they presumed my van would already have this, so it need power latch.

I contacted Autoease regarding there electrical tailgate kit.
I asked if I needed to change the hinges, they said no
I asked if there kit comes with soft Close latch , they presumed my van would already have this, so it need power latch.

Looks like it uses its own remote control instead of the VW keyfob but like the fact it also closes off the remote I have the Haanshow one and it works pretty well now but had to add the soft close which cost almost as much as the kit from Haanshow lol, they said you didnt have to change the hinges but it worked better with them changed.
my kit only opens on the VW key fob or button in the van but doesn't close unless you press either of the buttons in the van, this maybe a fault but not sure

Has anyone else fitted the Haanshow kit???

They say on there website in the FAQ you can use your own remote control as long as it has a boot open button ,which my kombi has .

Back