Retrofitting powered Tailgate

The OEM bracket is huge and would require a substantial amount of material removing from the tailgate otherwise it would not close. Replacing the OEM bracket with a custom home made one means the power ram is held closer to the body of the van so you only need to make a small modification to the tailgate.
Fab, I was hopeful that was the case.

Is there a size difference with the ball itself or a position difference? Basically, could I use what I have in place?

Also, have you made headway with getting the PDC and tailgate module to talk?

If not, have you got a VCDS scan from a van with both from factory (with the comms working) and your van?

Also, have you made headway with getting the PDC and tailgate module to talk?

If not, have you got a VCDS scan from a van with both from factory (with the comms working) and your van?
Nope, hit a brick wall

I've compared my scans (coding and adaptations) on the Tailgate module, PDC module to factory vans and they are identical. I wondered if it is some sort of module parameterisation I'm missing

Nope, hit a brick wall

I've compared my scans (coding and adaptations) on the Tailgate module, PDC module to factory vans and they are identical. I wondered if it is some sort of module parameterisation I'm missing
Have you got those scans on a thread somewhere I can take a look?

Fab, I was hopeful that was the case.

Is there a size difference with the ball itself or a position difference? Basically, could I use what I have in place?
From memory I think I had to change one set of ball studs but I can't remember which.

From memory I think I had to change one set of ball studs but I can't remember which.
I managed to find your scan on the Ross-Tech forum and dug out a VCDS scan of a T6 with powered tailgate (took a while as I have hundreds LOL) and your coding is different but I assume that is due to yours being specific to your van spec?

Have you added the additional wiring and relays that connect the 2 units? Also, what is the function of the PDC and powered tailgate being wired together?

From memory I played about with the coding to enable to door to open from the drivers door switch.

Yeas added the extra relay connected to one of the pins on the tailgate module. The purpose of them being connected to to prevent the lid opening if there is an obstacle behind.

From memory I played about with the coding to enable to door to open from the drivers door switch.

Yeas added the extra relay connected to one of the pins on the tailgate module. The purpose of them being connected to to prevent the lid opening if there is an obstacle behind.

Ok, these are the coding from the modules on the van that has factory PDC (f&r), powered tailgate and twin powered sliding doors:

Address 10: Park/Steer Assist (J446) Labels:| 7E0-919-475.clb
Part No SW: 7E0 919 475 AA HW: 7N0 919 475
Component: PARKHILFE 8K H06 0212
Revision: -------- Serial number: 28231720602089
Coding: 10880C
Shop #: WSC 02739 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_VW75XParkAssis8K 001012
ROD: EV_VW75XParkAssis8K_001_VN75.rod
VCID: 71AA24BFA06F9105BC-8024

Address 6D: Trunk Elect. (J605) Labels:| 7N0-959-107.clb
Part No SW: 7E0 959 107 A HW: 7E0 959 107
Component: HDSG-Modul H02 0653
Revision: 31002001 Serial number: 235701139
Coding: 19730D4002
Shop #: WSC 01383 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_HDSGVN46T 203001
ROD: EV_HDSGVN46T.rod
VCID: 2C14F5CB47CDBCEDCF-8078

From looking at the wiring diagrams, both relays need to be added so that the relays have both T15 and T30 inputs (T30 from SD1 and T15 from SC30) with the one relay connected to 2 pins on tailgate module (T26D/25 and T26D26) and PDC module (T16H/1) with T30 input. The other relay connected to PDC module (T16H/1) T30, T15 and ground. Are both relays added or just the 1?

6D and PDC module relays wiring for electric tailgate.JPG

You need to add both relays as one provides power supply to the PDC when tailgate controller is triggered via remote and the other one isolates supply to PDC when ignition is OFF.

Ok, these are the coding from the modules on the van that has factory PDC (f&r), powered tailgate and twin powered sliding doors:

Address 10: Park/Steer Assist (J446) Labels:| 7E0-919-475.clb
Part No SW: 7E0 919 475 AA HW: 7N0 919 475
Component: PARKHILFE 8K H06 0212
Revision: -------- Serial number: 28231720602089
Coding: 10880C
Shop #: WSC 02739 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_VW75XParkAssis8K 001012
ROD: EV_VW75XParkAssis8K_001_VN75.rod
VCID: 71AA24BFA06F9105BC-8024

Address 6D: Trunk Elect. (J605) Labels:| 7N0-959-107.clb
Part No SW: 7E0 959 107 A HW: 7E0 959 107
Component: HDSG-Modul H02 0653
Revision: 31002001 Serial number: 235701139
Coding: 19730D4002
Shop #: WSC 01383 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_HDSGVN46T 203001
ROD: EV_HDSGVN46T.rod
VCID: 2C14F5CB47CDBCEDCF-8078

From looking at the wiring diagrams, both relays need to be added so that the relays have both T15 and T30 inputs (T30 from SD1 and T15 from SC30) with the one relay connected to 2 pins on tailgate module (T26D/25 and T26D26) and PDC module (T16H/1) with T30 input. The other relay connected to PDC module (T16H/1) T30, T15 and ground. Are both relays added or just the 1?

View attachment 203102
Yes, I have both relays fitted.

Yes, I have both relays fitted.
Check the coding against yours and see if there are any differences that haven't been spotted previously. You never know!

Do either of the relays do anything? The one should for sure to supply power to the PDC module but does the other from the tailgate module?

One relay clicks on with ignition to power PDC module. The other relay clicks on when tailgate is operated. PDC is getting power in both instances.

I sort of did this to death :cry: when I originally fitted it, both myself and @Robert spent hours going over wiring diagrams and coding. I gave up in the end. My PDC module is a different one now that activates automatically on forwards obstacles. It's coding is completely different to original.

The coding of my tailgate module is different too as I was unable to get the rear lid to open from the drivers door. Can't remember which byte it is but I think I documented it in my build thread or maybe my Ross Tec post.

One relay clicks on with ignition to power PDC module. The other relay clicks on when tailgate is operated. PDC is getting power in both instances.

I sort of did this to death :cry: when I originally fitted it, both myself and @Robert spent hours going over wiring diagrams and coding. I gave up in the end. My PDC module is a different one now that activates automatically on forwards obstacles. It's coding is completely different to original.

The coding of my tailgate module is different too as I was unable to get the rear lid to open from the drivers door. Can't remember which byte it is but I think I documented it in my build thread or maybe my Ross Tec post.
Fab, I'm planning on tackling this after I finish my T6 front end and adding PDC at the same time as the powered tailgate. Annoyingly I can't see a powered tailgate panel without a window so I'll need to modify my tailgate to keep the solid panel. Did you find out bout the Ball Studs after?

Fab, I'm planning on tackling this after I finish my T6 front end and adding PDC at the same time as the powered tailgate. Annoyingly I can't see a powered tailgate panel without a window so I'll need to modify my tailgate to keep the solid panel. Did you find out bout the Ball Studs after?
Two of them are definitely changed, can't remember if the sockets in one end of the rams are different or whether they have a longer thread. P/N are towards the beginning of this thread.

Make sure Byte 01 Bit 2 contact controlled by detent is set to zero and set Byte 02 to 09 instead of 0D. This is the only combination that I have been able to successfully open the rear lid from the drivers door switch with.

I have been unable to get the parking sensors to work with the rear lid.

Thinking about this again........ :eek:

I didn't connect the PDC straight away, the only way I could get the lid to open from the key and the drivers door button was to make the changes above. The lid would pop but the lock wouldn't release it to open. Now I'm thinking maybe I should change the locking back to contact controlled by detent as that's what stops the lid opening on command from the PDC.

When it was enabled and the PDC not connected maybe that's why the lid wouldn't open :geek:

Last edited:
Thinking about this again........ :eek:

I didn't connect the PDC straight away, the only way I could get the lid to open from the key and the drivers door button was to make the changes above. The lid would pop but the lock wouldn't release it to open. Now I'm thinking maybe I should change the locking back to contact controlled by detent as that's what stops the lid opening on command from the PDC and when it was enabled and the PDC not connected maybe that's why the lid wouldn't open :geek:
Well, the coding I posted above is from a van that has the drivers door switch listed on ETKA (7E5959831CREH) as present so in theory, it should be the correct coding for the door switch and rear PDC functional.

However, if your module is different then it may not work, what's the part number of your updated PDC module?

Well, the coding I posted above is from a van that has the drivers door switch listed on ETKA (7E5959831CREH) as present so in theory, it should be the correct coding for the door switch and rear PDC functional.

However, if your module is different then it may not work, what's the part number of your updated PDC module?
5Q0 919 294 A

5Q0 919 294 A
Audi A3 8V, from memory they never had powered tailgate from factory, does the PDC need to communicate over CAN to the tailgate module to stop it from opening? If it's just a power thing and the simple function of the PDC being active and triggered by an object is enough then it may work with either module...

Back